Started by inside, January 31, 2021, 17:22

Alex Knight

Quote from: 1979scotte on February  2, 2021, 08:21
Quote from: Alex Knight on February  2, 2021, 07:19
Quote from: 1979scotte on February  1, 2021, 11:48
Quote from: inside on February  1, 2021, 10:23
Quote from: 1979scotte on January 31, 2021, 18:23
Quote from: inside on January 31, 2021, 17:49
Quote from: 1979scotte on January 31, 2021, 17:29What state is your current rad in?
When did you last change coolant?
How is your water pump?

I've never track driven a 2 but I ran an SP240 kit with a water cooled turbo and it never had any issues with cooling.

Forgot to mention it's 2zz with limiter at 8600, and on slow tracks (less flow) and keeping it in high revs makes it even hotter. Higher speed tracks there's no issue that I recall of.

Water pump was changed 4-5 years ago, fluid 2 years ago. Rad is original but no leaks.

I would buy a cool parts rad from ebay and see if that makes a difference they are so cheap.

I have a Japan parts on the V6 and it wasn't a straight fit even though it was for a zzw30.

I don't remember ever hearing anybody with a 2zz complaining of high temps on track.

Last time I had temp issues it ultimately turned out to be head gasket.

Cool parts looks really cheap! But it's in UK, which means high shipping costs and now also taxes.. And I'm not doing the work myself, so I'd just rather do it right the first time without experimenting too much.

I've now found a supplier in Germany for Koyorad KL010929R for about 290 gbp with shipping. I'm getting closer to deciding for this one.

Didn't realise you were outside the UK.

If you want a Koyo go for it. Or a mishimoto.
My car previously had a mishimoto and that developed a leak.
I'm still not convinced that is the cause of your problem.
I am no mechanic but have helped changed two rads and coolant on driveways with basic tools its very easy.

I too ran a Mishimoto rad (2ZZ, had to cut the slam panel) which developed a leak. Very frustrating.

Replaced with an OEM Koyo rad, and have had zero issues since.

You've ran yours on track for a long time Alex have you always had a bigger rad?
Any issues with temps?

I had the Mishimoto rad for a couple of years, and had it on track.

I did have a recurring intermittent issue with rising temperatures from time to time. This was eventually traced to the Mishimoto radiator which had developed a very small weep. This allowed air to ingress to the coolant system, which in turn allowed hot spots, and rising temperatures.

I've had zero issues on track with the OEM Koyo rad, and have done hundreds and hundreds of miles on track with it. Well recommended.

inside

Quote from: Alex Knight on February  2, 2021, 11:19I had the Mishimoto rad for a couple of years, and had it on track.

I did have a recurring intermittent issue with rising temperatures from time to time. This was eventually traced to the Mishimoto radiator which had developed a very small weep. This allowed air to ingress to the coolant system, which in turn allowed hot spots, and rising temperatures.

I've had zero issues on track with the OEM Koyo rad, and have done hundreds and hundreds of miles on track with it. Well recommended.

Thanks for reply Alex, love some first hand experience!

Do you have A/C and do you have performance/alu or normal koyo radiator?

Alex Knight

Quote from: inside on February  2, 2021, 12:20
Quote from: Alex Knight on February  2, 2021, 11:19I had the Mishimoto rad for a couple of years, and had it on track.

Thanks for reply Alex, love some first hand experience!

Do you have A/C and do you have performance/alu or normal koyo radiator?

No problem, happy to share.

I do have A/C, and a normal Koyo radiator. Think it was about £40ish from memory.

Tags: