Intake air temperature

Started by Petrus, February 6, 2021, 21:40

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on February  7, 2021, 16:42I did see a kit a long time ago in the early part of the century where it would spray liquid C02 to cool  a bulb in the air intake. They claimed 20hp difference. Like most things of this sort it wasn't popular probably for good reason.

Here it is if you are interested in trying it out. Probably a cheap way to go about it.

https://www.designengineering.com/air-intake/

Thanks for that Dev. Very interesting indeed i not for my application.

I am trying to find a reliable source for refilling NOS bottles. They claim good ps results too although I think it is not just for the cooling effect ;-)

Dev

Quote from: Petrus on February  7, 2021, 17:23
Quote from: Dev on February  7, 2021, 16:42I did see a kit a long time ago in the early part of the century where it would spray liquid C02 to cool  a bulb in the air intake. They claimed 20hp difference. Like most things of this sort it wasn't popular probably for good reason.

Here it is if you are interested in trying it out. Probably a cheap way to go about it.

https://www.designengineering.com/air-intake/

Thanks for that Dev. Very interesting indeed i not for my application.

I am trying to find a reliable source for refilling NOS bottles. They claim good ps results too although I tink it is not just for the cooling effect ;-)

NOS is absolutely proven horsepower. I have read many comments thought out the years demystifying many of the myths surrounding its use and have seen it in action on a Honda Civic. 

This I agree with since it is a genuine level up than trying chase the small things that really don't amount to much.

I still remember the days of people using elaborate grounding kits for power.

Petrus

My tuning days started with fickle aircooled 2-strokes and plotting the portable weather station readings on air density tables  :o
Hence my awareness of the relation between RAD and jetting = power.
Though not a kick in the bum dyno, tuning-by-underhood-temp is very real Dev ;-)

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on February  7, 2021, 17:42NOS is absolutely proven horsepower. I have read many comments thought out the years demystifying many of the myths surrounding its use and have seen it in action on a Honda Civic. 

This I agree with since it is a genuine level up than trying chase the small things that really don't amount to much.

Two distinct, well three, downsides to it:
It is tricky stuff.
Only limited time point and squirt.
Refill a pita and not cheap.

Still thinking about it though:
Instant real power.
Simple install and relatively low cost.
Light; fully charged 7 kilos.

Miss the ´moronic´ fun of my Butane kit install of the previous ragtop. That was only 25 hp, 10 kg fill, 20 kg. Much cheaper refill though; swap the bottle at the gas station for 14 €.

Ah well, fun to dream too ;-)

Tags: