Intake air temperature 2

Started by Petrus, February 28, 2021, 17:50

Petrus

Been registering the IAT under various circumstances, Covid permitting so it took a bit longish.

Aaaaaanyway... the trend is clear:
Above pottering about, the inlet stays nicely cool. Depending on how hard the engine is pushed, it is 3 to 10 degrees above ambient. The highest being slightly easing off, meaning less incoming air cooling the intake while the engine is still heating it up.

That observed, coming from 190-200 kmh on the highway (reading very little above ambient) onto the provincial road doing 80-100 kmh, the temp rose  momentarily 5 degrees, then settled at 3 above.

Even pottering about I have not yet seen more than 15 degrees C. above ambient. This was directly off highway into a zone with traffic lights. More prolongued city crawling will probably see a bit higher reading but sofar.... not seen that.

And.... I suppose that deleting the heat sinks together with opening up the rear exit helped a lot too; dropping the underhood temps significantly.
All in all positive about the current intake set up. I cannot see any cooler way short of piping into the side vent directly, which leads to MAF value issues because of deleting the OEM filterbox.

Tags: