Changing a sidelight bulb

Started by normanh, March 5, 2021, 19:39

Petrus

Quote from: Carolyn on January 14, 2023, 17:32Damn this getting old shit!

:))  :))  :))  :))  too recognisable  O:-)

Joesson

"Old age isn't so bad when you consider the alternative."

Maurice Chevalier:

MikeBoo

All done  :)
Luckily having no under bonnet plastic cover fitted due to the strut brace saved a bit of time.

Looking from above there was no point in attempting to access the bulb from the wheel well due to the inner wing.

Initially I thought that it would be a bumper off job even after I had removed the 2 headlight screws/bolts because not only is the headlight movement restricted by the remaining fixings and bumper but also it catches on the wing after lifting it about a centimetre.
Once I had worked out which way it turned and a cup of tea to delay the task, I discovered that it wasn't too bad to remove though refitting was definitely a challenge.

Having this topic & knowing that it was possible by this method was really useful.
2001 Toyota Liquid Silver (1D0) with hard top & original soft top.
Yokohama AD08RS all round.
Replacement manifold, BC coil overs,
Whiteline anti roll bars front & rear.
Location = East Hampshire, UK

Carolyn

so, I've had a peek nd reminded myself of what's what.

At the very least, one has to loosen the front bumper and remove the arch-liner to take the headlamp out.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

MR2again

I managed to do.It the other day despite having normal sized hands. It's of easy as there's not much room and the bulb holder is stiff to turn.  I did find that loosening the headlight by removing the two top screws helped.  I managed to use a pair of pliers to loosen the offside bulb and there was no way I could remove the connector without removing the bulb from the headlight first.  I also removed the headlight bulb to give me more working room.

I found the nearside bulb was much easier to work on.

TheTigerUK

One of the side lights in my Avensis went this week, it is a 501 the same as the 2s, I used the LED below.

Looks so much better, a struggle to get at but worth it, the holder has four lugs so a 1/4 turn and out (sounds easy).

Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Tags: