Whiteline Anti Roll Bars & Drop Link Thread Length - Experience Please

Started by virginpaul, March 9, 2021, 21:16

scm2004red

I understand the logic of wiring groups of fixings together or in series, having seen plenty of classic Bugattis and Bentleys where this practice is a feature, it was wiring a singleton that caused my query.
MR2 Red Edition 2004
Porsche 924 1984

Dev

I was told a long time ago from friends that use to race motorcycles that the wire was necessary to pass race inspection for a couple of reasons. The bolts are arrested so they don't come undone due to vibrations causing an accident and for another reason which is if there is an accident the bolts do not go flying everywhere as they are all anchored together.

Petrus

Quote from: scm2004red on March 21, 2021, 16:44it was wiring a singleton that caused my query.

Same principle.
After só many years of racing it still feels wrong to not lockwire an oil drain plug or filler cap p.e.

virginpaul

Petrus, those diagrams look like they are from CAAIP's! Well, almost - CAP561, Leaflet 55-100

As stated, for a singleton, it will need to be wired to a fixed point nearby - in my case, the anti roll bars spare adjustment hole as seen in the 2nd pic of my original post.

I will post a pic when complete.

Paul

Petrus

Quote from: virginpaul on March 21, 2021, 22:48Petrus, those diagrams look like they are from CAAIP's! Well, almost - CAP561, Leaflet 55-100

Aye but Paul, I also have a big wing on my Spyder ;-)

virginpaul

Replaced the nuts on the front drop link to roll bar bushes with drilled ones.  Used loktight Blue Threadlock and applied aircraft wire...

Offside
IMG_6220 by virgin_pabs, on Flickr

Nearside
IMG_6217 by virgin_pabs, on Flickr

They are going nowhere!

Petrus

105e

Not saying they will come of or anything but i still dont like it..

Petrus

Quote from: 105e on April  1, 2021, 13:16Not saying they will come of or anything but i still dont like it..

If he´d used normal non nylock nuts (as I have) you´d have never known.

virginpaul

Quote from: 105e on April  1, 2021, 13:16Not saying they will come of or anything but i still dont like it..

Lol,  if you don't like it but fly anywhere "abroad", I'd start taking the ferry instead of flying.... just saying.

Petrus

Quote from: virginpaul on April  1, 2021, 23:56

Lol,  if you don't like it but fly anywhere "abroad", I'd start taking the ferry instead of flying.... just saying.

Bit of a problem there. At the moment Covid19 is not making it easy to get off the United Islands. Not making it easy to get anywhere further than one can see actually. Whát a pita; need to get a legal justification from one or other medical of legal pro friend for a Whiteline endlink bolts stressing drive!!

105e

Go on a plane,  far too dangerous, although when much younger i did foolishly accept a ride in a helicopter...

virginpaul

Quote from: 105e on April  2, 2021, 09:07

Go on a plane,  far too dangerous, although when much younger i did foolishly accept a ride in a helicopter...

...and that is about the limit of ultimate testing of any anti-vibration locking device...

Roj

Adjustable Drop Links

These have a longer thread than OEM, are adjustable for length to get the correct angle and aren't ridiculously priced.

Petrus

Quote from: Roj on April  3, 2021, 09:00Adjustable Drop Links

These have a longer thread than OEM, are adjustable for length to get the correct angle and aren't ridiculously priced.

Still 100 coins more than a few drops of blue.

virginpaul

Do they do a front version?  those are the rears.  Thanks

Roj

Quote from: virginpaul on April  3, 2021, 11:32

Do they do a front version?  those are the rears.  Thanks

They do. Try contacting Spring-loaded.co.uk, explain the situation and they should be able to help you out.

Apparently TCB also stock drop links with longer threads if the RoadNutz ones aren't suitable.

Roj

Quote from: Petrus on April  3, 2021, 10:28

Still 100 coins more than a few drops of blue.

Quite, however the OP has already said they're not keen on using only threadlock.

Petrus

Quote from: Roj on April  3, 2021, 12:15Quite, however the OP has already said they're not keen on using only threadlock.

The OP has already solved it with blue ánd wire (as I suggested).

But thanks for the link nonetheless. Someone else might want it.

Roj

Quote from: Petrus on April  3, 2021, 12:39
Quote from: Roj on April  3, 2021, 12:15Quite, however the OP has already said they're not keen on using only threadlock.

The OP has already solved it with blue ánd wire (as I suggested).

But thanks for the link nonetheless. Someone else might want it.

I see that as a temporary solution tbh, and would assume the OP
does too, seeing as he is applying a/c standards to his car.

Two threads + wire locking + thread lock would be a perfectly acceptable bodge to get airborne. However it would result in a limitation, with recs likely deferred until scheduled second line maintenance, when the correct equipment would be sourced and installed. The links with the longer thread are a permanent solution.

I appreciate that most people would likely consider both solutions to be overkill though, myself included. I'd be happy with a nyloc halfnut on a car :)

Petrus

Quote from: Roj on April  3, 2021, 16:23I see that as a temporary solution tbh, and would assume the OP

Two threads + wire locking + thread lock would be a perfectly acceptable bodge to get airborne. However it would result in a limitation, with recs likely deferred until scheduled second line maintenance, when the correct equipment would be sourced and installed. The links with the longer thread are a permanent solution.

I appreciate that most people would likely consider both solutions to be overkill though, myself included. I'd be happy with a nyloc halfnut on a car :)

The nylock does just that. Providing ´locking´ with a bit of nylon.
The nylon bit serves no other fastening purpose.
A normal nut with Locktite blue is to ALL extends and purposes exactly the same.

Wiring is a time honoured fail safe which in many applications is mandatory because, unlike locking fluid ánd Nylock!!, it can be inspected.

Roj

Quote from: Petrus on April  3, 2021, 16:39
Quote from: Roj on April  3, 2021, 16:23I see that as a temporary solution tbh, and would assume the OP

The nylock does just that. Providing ´locking´ with a bit of nylon.
The nylon bit serves no other fastening purpose.
A normal nut with Locktite blue is to ALL extends and purposes exactly the same.

Wiring is a time honoured fail safe which in many applications is mandatory because, unlike locking fluid ánd Nylock!!, it can be inspected.

I'm well aware of the purpose, function and application of nylocs, threadlock and locking wire, no need to remind me but thanks anyway :)

virginpaul

Interesting discussions- all of which I appreciate.

The application of wire in addition to thread lock presents a visible mode of positive locking (as has been said) to (as was my concern) an mot tester.  That individual would not see the blue (probably), but may well see the nylok nut not fully engaged and "could" fail the mot.  But they may also not know or appreciate what wirelocking is or does (not everyone clearly does) and may fail it on lack of understanding or use the line "it's not per design".
I could replace the nylok nuts with plain nuts, blued and wire locked, which removes the attention getter of ineffective nylon portion (because not engaged), but again, not per design could be sighted.

Having said all that I'm probably seriously overthinking the depth and detail of study an mot tester is likely to carry out!

So, although very happy with the security of my installation right now (in aviation terms, an approved "modification" or "alternate means of compliance", I consider it an "Acceptable Deferred Defect" with no time limit (as would be applied to aircraft) and ultimately would prefer rods with longer threads... so many thanks for all your inputs and parts leads, I really appreciate it.  Happy flighting....

Paul

Petrus

Quote from: virginpaul on April  5, 2021, 00:51But they may also not know or appreciate what wirelocking is or does (not everyone clearly does) and may fail it on lack of understanding or use the line "it's not per design".

A bit of a sad reminder of reality; that the tester very well might have lack of understanding...

Reality though, hence I decided against it. Fitted flat nuts with Loctite blue: As tight and locked as the nylock without two potential confusions for a tester.

The latter observation btw is a very real risc with after market adjustable ARBs anyway.
Same as with adjustable coil overs; those are a guaranteed fail over here.

Gareth V.

I fitted white line anti roll bars a month ago and the nyloc fitting nuts just had enough length for the thread to get into the nyloc part but not past it. I looked up about using a thinner nut but they were already the thinner spec. The drop links I got were generic ones off eBay.

Tags: