Replacement Header Tank

Started by Alex Knight, March 20, 2021, 17:52

Alex Knight

Hi all,

Upon close inspection of my header tank, it would appear that the plastic has gone quite hard and brittle (the way some plastic radiator end tanks go).

I called Toyota for a replacement price, and it is extortionate at £252.97!

I'm obviously not going to pay that, so I wondered if anyone had any other replacement suggestions?

Thanks in advance 😀

virginpaul

Model/mileage?

Has it cracked/failed/leaking?

Ardent

Alex Knight

Quote from: virginpaul on March 20, 2021, 20:17Model/mileage?

Has it cracked/failed/leaking?

OEM tank/125K miles.

Has not failed, but will.

Carolyn

There are plenty of aftermarket ones out there. 
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

shnazzle

Quote from: Carolyn on March 21, 2021, 09:10There are plenty of aftermarket ones out there. 
That's what I was thinking. Squillions of alloy tanks with level windows etc. Would need to custom bracketing obviously

This one looks nifty
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1L-Coolant-Water-Expansion-Tank-Bottle-Header-Aluminium-Alloy-Universal-Kit-Car-/123857908659?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

I've got a polished steel/alloy one on the shelf I keep wanting to fit but it's not got a level indicator so I'm basically afraid to 🤓
60% of the time it works everytime...

Joesson

Quote from: shnazzle on March 21, 2021, 09:25
Quote from: Carolyn on March 21, 2021, 09:10There are plenty of aftermarket ones out there. 
That's what I was thinking. Squillions of alloy tanks with level windows etc. Would need to custom bracketing obviously

This one looks nifty
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1L-Coolant-Water-Expansion-Tank-Bottle-Header-Aluminium-Alloy-Universal-Kit-Car-/123857908659?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Putting the fittings in that looks to be on a par with headlamp bulbs.

Stuey2uk

Similar question - I 'might' have leak in my newly acquired 2ZZ - original 1ZZ header tank....
Should I fit a larger one?

Alex Knight

Quote from: Stuey2uk on March 21, 2021, 23:02Similar question - I 'might' have leak in my newly acquired 2ZZ - original 1ZZ header tank....
Should I fit a larger one?

No, 1ZZ capacity is fine.

Alex Knight

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I'm going to get a price from Nengun.

Joesson

Quote from: Call the midlife! on March 21, 2021, 09:38I've got a polished steel/alloy one on the shelf I keep wanting to fit but it's not got a level indicator so I'm basically afraid to 🤓

Looking at the at the ad. that Shnazzle posted the level gauge is to be fitted  by the customer using supplied parts.
Similar parts could be used to make your own, I would first ensure you could get to the inside to hold the fitting nuts, then it's two holes, one above the other and a bit of a plumbing job.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Joesson on March 22, 2021, 10:50
Quote from: Call the midlife! on March 21, 2021, 09:38I've got a polished steel/alloy one on the shelf I keep wanting to fit but it's not got a level indicator so I'm basically afraid to 🤓

Looking at the at the ad. that Shnazzle posted the level gauge is to be fitted  by the customer using supplied parts.
Similar parts could be used to make your own, I would first ensure you could get to the inside to hold the fitting nuts, then it's two holes, one above the other and a bit of a plumbing job.
I'd looked at getting a sight glass fitted to it rather than the pipe and elbow style one, looks like a recipe for deesaster to me.

Joesson

Quote from: Call the midlife! on March 22, 2021, 13:24

I'd looked at getting a sight glass fitted to it rather than the pipe and elbow style one, looks like a recipe for deesaster to me.

A sight glass would have more surface area to seal so greater potential for leaks, but for sure it won't leak on your shelf 😉

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Joesson on March 22, 2021, 14:02
Quote from: Call the midlife! on March 22, 2021, 13:24

A sight glass would have more surface area to seal so greater potential for leaks, but for sure it won't leak on your shelf 😉
I've seen one with a kind of elongated window frame brazed onto the outside with the sight glass inset into the frame, like on a steam engine. I'm confident I would end up snagging the pipe on the one in the link.

Joesson

I do not know why an expansion bottle would not have an inbuilt level indicator. I guess that is why  OE bottles are made of clear plastic material so that the level can be seen.
Would clear tubing on the inlet and/ or outlet port of your " polished steel/ alloy " bottle serve to give an indication of what was going and coming?

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Joesson on March 22, 2021, 16:17I do not know why an expansion bottle would not have an inbuilt level indicator. I guess that is why  OE bottles are made of clear plastic material so that the level can be seen.
Would clear tubing on the inlet and/ or outlet port of your " polished steel/ alloy " bottle serve to give an indication of what was going and coming?
Nah, I'm going to cut the top off, fit some hinges and use it for tool storage in place of the charcoal canister, should get a good few 10mm sockets and spanners in it.👍🏻

Joesson

Quote from: Call the midlife! on March 22, 2021, 17:51
Quote from: Joesson on March 22, 2021, 16:17I do not know why an expansion bottle would not have an inbuilt level indicator. I guess that is why  OE bottles are made of clear plastic material so that the level can be seen.
Nah, I'm going to cut the top off, fit some hinges and use it for tool storage in place of the charcoal canister, should get a good few 10mm sockets and spanners in it.👍🏻
Some would say you'd be doubling your storage capacity in a 2😉

Tags: