IceLink Plus firmware updates

Started by Anonymous, May 3, 2005, 16:30

Anonymous

Back at Christmas I got me a nice Dension IceLink plus.  It was pretty good, but could be buggy at times, and doesn't support ID3 with my Sony headunit.

Since then Dension have fixed a few of the bugs, and added a couple of new features.  Nothing for my setup in particular, but always good to see changes.

However I went back to check on updates today ( m http://install.dension.com/updateil2.html m ) and find the following:

QuoteImportant notice !

Dear Customers, current ice>Link Plus models implement the full desired feature set already, therefore no generic firmware updates released in the future.

However we are comitted to continue our product support and to make bug fixes available if necessary.

Feel free to contact Technical Support if you have any issue.

Now while it seems they will release bug fixes, it seems they've decided to ditch most development work.  Maybe things'll change in the future, maybe they'll relax their definition of bug.

But as it stands today, you can't download the updated firmware from their site, nor does it appear that they're going to be doing feature releases either.

I've always thought that IceLink plus was a bit of a rushed prototype, but the light at the end of the tunnel was the ongoing updates.  With that in doubt, it's not looking so rosey.

Tags: