Fixing oil leaks in Sussex

Started by almitch1, April 14, 2021, 09:26

almitch1

Hi,

I have a couple of small oil leaks 1 is coming from the sump and I believe 1 is coming from the crank pulley. Does anyone know of a decent garage in Sussex that could do this repair?? What sort of price should I be looking at?

Alan

Joesson

Quote from: almitch1 on April 14, 2021, 09:26Hi,

I have a couple of small oil leaks 1 is coming from the sump and I believe 1 is coming from the crank pulley. Does anyone know of a decent garage in Sussex that could do this repair?? What sort of price should I be looking at?

Alan

Sorry, I can't answer either of your questions directly but of the two leaks I have read on here of only the sump leak.
The sump has reportedly leaked through the body of the sump due to porosity  caused by corrosion. That requires a replacement sump which can be a diy job.
Alternatively, if the sump has previously removed then leaks can appear via an imperfect seal, again a possible diy job.
A problem with leaking oil is determining the actual source as the leak finds it's own path and appears to be remote from the source.
Remember perhaps the most frequent culprit is the chain tensioner on the top right rear of the engine and oil from that has caused unwarranted concern as that is a really easy fix.

almitch1

Quote from: Joesson on April 14, 2021, 10:02

Alan

Sorry, I can't answer either of your questions directly but of the two leaks I have read on here of only the sump leak.
The sump has reportedly leaked through the body of the sump due to porosity  caused by corrosion. That requires a replacement sump which can be a diy job.
Alternatively, if the sump has previously removed then leaks can appear via an imperfect seal, again a possible diy job.
A problem with leaking oil is determining the actual source as the leak finds it's own path and appears to be remote from the source.
Remember perhaps the most frequent culprit is the chain tensioner on the top right rear of the engine and oil from that has caused unwarranted concern as that is a really easy fix.

Thanks I have changed the tensioner o ring and cam cover gasket already.

Joesson

Quote from: almitch1 on April 14, 2021, 10:12

Alan

Remote diagnosis is typically by elimination, so that's two down.
Someone else will be along that will be better able to help going forward.

Carolyn

Removing the pulley and the front seal is not a hard job, say 1/2hour.  If the leak on the sump is from the drain plug, it's a 1/2 hour job too, as the oil will have to be drained and re-filled.  A new washer will stop the leak.  If it's from the sealant around the sump (most unlikely) it's a couple of hours, as getting the sump off is a bit of a piglet.

I suspect the 'sump leak' and the front seal may turn out to be oil emanating from the seal looking like it's coming from the sump.  The other alternative is a pin-hole in the sump (does happen),in which case it's a new sump and a couple of hours.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

paulj

Going back to your question of "decent garage" I am a bit far away to offer advice but go with these simple rules:

Family run better than chain
Local recommendations are useful
Go round and see how they operate, see how they respond to the question and price

I had experience on a different car recently when asking for a price to change brake pads:
Local garage - gave price, all in and sorted
Main dealer - gave price, suggested discs would be needed, wanted to flush brake fluid etc etc.....
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Mark A

Carolyn

Alan

Did you use a Toyota O ring?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Joesson

@Carolyn asked " Did you use a Toyota O ring" for a reason. For some time now she has been saying that they are of insufficient girth to maintain a seal.
Having renewed the O ring in my 2 in 2014 with a Mr T product I have not been able to comment.
So, in now seven years, but really not even one year of regular daily usage I have noticed while starting my annual check that I have signs of a leak.
So I, for what it is worth, can  endorse the veracity of that statement,

almitch1

Quote from: Carolyn on April 14, 2021, 17:28

Alan

Did you use a Toyota O ring?

Hi No I didn't it was one you kindly sent me.

Thanks

Tags: