Geometry - Center Gravity (Atherstone)

Started by SV-3, April 25, 2021, 12:40

SV-3

'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

Ardent

No.
But I can see myself going now I know about them.

Cheers for the heads up.

I take it more a question than a recommendation.

Would like to get mine checked over. Been a while since last done.

Dev

I think this would be money well spent if they do what they claim.
 I would imagine peoples prides will be hurt when they tell you  that you have to remove bad choices and go back to a more OEM like system that is not too stiff and spend  money on quality parts that are up to OEM quality at a bare minimum.

I would instead put that consultation money into a set of KW V3 and a good alignment. This would solve 90% of what bad budget suspension gives you and the difference would be worth it.

The more imperfect the set up the more tuning is required to fix the flaws which is not a good thing.
 This is why OEM or OEM like struts are king even if they are somewhat on the soft side. To build on that extra you need to spend substantially.

Roj

Centre Gravity get a great rep on the Porsche forums. They're popular with other groups too, like TVR, Caterham, BMW-M. They're the go to guys for those who throw big money at Ohlins, KW, AST, Nitron etc.

SV-3

Quote from: Ardent on April 25, 2021, 14:38No.
But I can see myself going now I know about them.

Cheers for the heads up.

I take it more a question than a recommendation.

Would like to get mine checked over. Been a while since last done.
Yes, just a question - came across them on a 'JayEmm on Cars' video.
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

Ardent

Quote from: Roj on April 25, 2021, 19:24Centre Gravity get a great rep on the Porsche forums. They're popular with other groups too, like TVR, Caterham, BMW-M. They're the go to guys for those who throw big money at Ohlins, KW, AST, Nitron etc.

I shall probably be refused entry when our cars cost less than some suspension kits.

Ardent

Quote from: Dev on April 25, 2021, 18:52I think this would be money well spent if they do what they claim.
 I would imagine peoples prides will be hurt when they tell you to that you have to remove bad choices and go back to a more OEM like system that is not too stiff and spend  money on quality parts that are up to OEM quality at a bare minimum.

I would instead put that consultation money into a set of KW V3 and a good alignment. This would solve 90% of what bad budget suspension gives you and the difference would be worth it.

The more imperfect the set up the more tuning is required to fix the flaws which is not a good thing.
 This is why OEM or OEM like struts are king even if they are somewhat on the soft side. To build on that extra you need to spend substantially.
As you say really.
I am more than happy enough on my fresh stock set up. But would be good to see if still in alignment.

Dev

Quote from: Ardent on April 25, 2021, 20:24
Quote from: Dev on April 25, 2021, 18:52I think this would be money well spent if they do what they claim.
 I would imagine peoples prides will be hurt when they tell you to that you have to remove bad choices and go back to a more OEM like system that is not too stiff and spend  money on quality parts that are up to OEM quality at a bare minimum.

As you say really.
I am more than happy enough on my fresh stock set up. But would be good to see if still in alignment.

Unlike some other cars our cars alignment is easy because there is only one adjustment   
  I would save your money and just get it done by a qualified shop.
   What I usually recommend is 0 toe for the front and very slight positive toe for the rear in order to get high speed stability. This will make the car feel nimble but also track well. I would take the alignment sheet after its done and check to see if the caster is correct and the camber is even. 

I do not do four wheel alignments because they are generally not very good for handling so instead I make sure the operator is aware of what Im aiming for which is a two wheel alignment. 

What is the difference?  a four wheel alignment uses all of the wheels to make the car track straight as possible. It might be good for a passenger car but not a sports car.

The only drawback with a two wheel alignment (both axles independently aligned) is the car might not track perfectly as a four wheel alignment particularly where the road is imperfect but its generally not far off and should be reasonably true.

I would take it as a first step and if needed a little negative camber using aftermarket adjusters can go a long way to make it better. 

Tags: