Bubbled Alloys

Started by Anonymous, May 4, 2005, 15:15

Anonymous

Has anyone has their Stock Alloys go all bubbled with corrosion?

I had a new set of alloys under warranty but the new set have gone as well, with the car out of warranty and the new alloys over a year old Toyota have politely told me to go **** myself.

Anonymous

Its very common I think, I've had a set replaced and the new set seem to be holding up well, touch wood.

You could always get the resurfaced and not have the problem again,

Anonymous

Yeah, people in the dealership seemed to think (*Off the record of course*) that it's a VERY common problem. I just think it's tight that I should pay to correct what is quite clearly a manufacturing fault...

It's also tight that Alloys only come with a 1 Year manufacturers waranty. My Toaster had a longer warranty than that!

Cheers
Al

Anonymous

ye, when i bought my 01' from mr T last year, the alloys were knackered, so they acid stripped them and re painted them,  came up nice too, but noticed last week that they're on their way out again, not so much bubbling this time, as mild flaking

roger

Welcome Alex, its funny how many we see for the first time is when they have a tale of woe.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Yes, if you use the search button you will find lots about them.

Normally there is nothing you can do with MrT now without them being extremely nice. Replacements under warranty take on the existing warranty time scale.

However, a thought for you. If this is the second set that have gone the same way, why not have a try to see if you can get them under the Sale of Goods Act in supplying you with goods they know to be defective or not up to suitable standard. They accepted liability on the first set, so the second must be of faulty manufacture if the same problem occurs again.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

This could well apply to hundreds of others....you could be a champion of the cause   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Bongo

I didn't think that alloys replaced under warranty had the 1 year parts warranty.

Does anyone know if this is the case? Mine were replaced less than a year ago (original warranty on the car has since expired) and are bubbling again, can I get them changed for free?

Anonymous

Quote from: BongoI didn't think that alloys replaced under warranty had the 1 year parts warranty.

Does anyone know if this is the case? Mine were replaced less than a year ago (original warranty on the car has since expired) and are bubbling again, can I get them changed for free?

When I spoke to the guy at Customer Relations he suggested that if they were less than a year old I would have had much more of a case. I suggest you call them and see...

Anonymous

Although I think they are out of order on this one I have squeezed quite a lot out of the big T under warranty:

1 x full set of Alloys (the ones under discussion)
2 x New Roofs (First replacement due to incorrect folding and the second due to the first replacement's glass smashing in under a month of replacement when folding the hood)
1 x Full Set of Brake Pads / Discs (discs warped)
1 x Sony Stereo (Knackered Volume Knob)

Anonymous

I can beat that

1 Full set of alloys
1 Set of suspension inserts
1 Set of top mounts
2 Sets of Brake discs
2 Sets of Pads
1 CD Player
1 Roof (actually, i told them to fix it instead of replace)

mrsmr2

Extremely common.  My fronts are going quickly now (car is exactly one year old), and one of the rears has started to bubble.

Annoyingly, one rear is fine.  I'll wait for all four to be bad before changing them.

My dealer was quite happy to change them at any sign of bubbling.  

My dealer also told me it is a common problem and happens with Celicas and Corollas (I think) - certainly two other Toyota models.

If you can't get them done by the dealer, I would think about refurbishing them.  I'll probably be doing that once mine are out of warranty

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

My 03, 2 years old in June are going and assume they are covered by the 3 year warranty, correct? If so I am going to let them go another winter and then claim before June. Is this possible?

Anonymous

My understanding of it is they pretty much have a "no quibble" policy when it comes to Bubbled Alloys that are under warranty. The first time it happened they didn't even bother looking at them before booking it in and ordering me a new set.

I've also been told they will not replace 1 alloy at a time, it's all or nothing. So if you have 1 or 2 that have gone you don't need to wait until the others go before taking it in!

mrsmr2

My dealer said they would only replace the ones that were going.  They also recommended replacing all four at once as the new ones could be a slightly different colour to the old ones - due to discolouration.

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

Any ideas why this is happening, we have a 1997 BMW with 150K on the clock and the alloys look better than my 2
Is it the paint ? No salt in Japan? Lots of spare wheels to get rid of?

Anonymous

Something to do with the laquer process which was apparently cleared a year or two ago.

Anonymous

Quote from: mrsmr2My dealer said they would only replace the ones that were going.  They also recommended replacing all four at once as the new ones could be a slightly different colour to the old ones - due to discolouration.

Jason

Take it to Farmer & Carlisle in Loughborough, that's where I got my four from...

kanujunkie

getting my second set of  replacement alloys this week, bit ironic seeing as the front tyres are the origionals and will have been put on 3 different sets of alloys  s:? :? s:?  i've only done 30k!
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

heathstimpson

Have been waiting for my second replacement set for six weeks now; major back order delay thanks to the number of current warrenty claims. I have been told that they have now sorted the issues with the finish; I believe it when I see it   s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

kanujunkie

Heath,

go get em mate, mine took 3 weeks from ordering to delivery, so they're telling porkies me thinks  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "kanujunkie"Heath,

go get em mate, mine took 3 weeks from ordering to delivery, so they're telling porkies me thinks  s:? :? s:?
They have cancelled the booked in fitting dates twice now  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

kanujunkie

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"Heath,

They have cancelled the booked in fitting dates twice now  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

i'd be going to see someone else and see if they can get them quicker
[size=100]Stu[/size]

StephenBennett

Had mine replaced yesterday; looks very nice - for a while anyhow!

Regards

Stephen

Anonymous

Is it just me but are the alloys sadly in need of some quality laquer on them ?

Do toyota put a laquer on them at all ?

Anonymous

just a thought, but would my wheels be covered in a toyota used car warranty?? They were acid stripped and repainted by toyota when i bought the car, and are now flaking

Anonymous

Does anyone know why the finish on the alloys bubbles. Is it the actual metal that causes this or is it just a poor quality painting / laquer process. Ones that have been back seem invariably to eventually bubble again. If you got them refinished elsewhere as Slacey did a while back, is it it still likely that they would go again or is this likely to cure them due to a better quality finish.

Many questions but it would be interesting to see what people think  s:) :) s:)

Tags: