Bubbled Alloys

Started by Anonymous, May 4, 2005, 15:15

Anonymous

i've had my car since jan from toyota.

now my wheels are flaking and the volume knob on the stereo has broken. How can i get these mended under warranty?????

Anonymous

I think your car is out of warranty, unless you've got the date wrong in your sig...

heathstimpson

Mine always seem to go in the middle of winter probably due to the weather and salt combo. through summer no issues what so ever. As far as I know the finish that Sean had done from KN wheels lasts ok so it must be Toyota's finish  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Hi,

This is just a quick note to say "Never Give Up"...

I have a Shiny new set of Toyota Alloys on my 2, courtesy of those lovely (ahem...) people at Toyota.

Just to recap. My car is 4 years old, so it's out of warranty.

I had them replaced under warranty 2 years ago, replacement parts are only guarenteed for one year.

Despite all this the replaced them for free. I suggets you all phone Customer Relations at Toyota GB and get yuorself a new set like mine.

Cheers
Al the Victorious

heathstimpson

Had a message left from the dealership saying they are still not in stock; nearly two months now  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

They agreed to fit the new set last Thursday, I called the Dealership on Monday, booked it in for the Thursday and the replacement Alloys arrived and were fitted that day.

My next project is a new set of Front Discs, they've corroded also and have already been replaced under warranty...

Has anyone sourced a set of discs that don't corrode?

heathstimpson

Quote from: "alexwoodall"My next project is a new set of Front Discs, they've corroded also and have already been replaced under warranty...
They won't replace my corroded discs  s:? :? s:?

Bongo

I went to the dealer today (Inchcape Burton).

They inspected the Alloys and agreed all 4 were bubbling (or pitting as they call it) and checked their computer to see that they had been replaced just under a year ago (a week under to be exact).

They then rang MrT who authorised the work to be done.

Another new set of alloys for me   s8) 8) s8)

Bongo

Fitted today, so my dealer had no problems getting them either  s:) :) s:)

heathstimpson

Had a phone call late yesterday to say mine were in at last; it's only been a two month wait  s:? :? s:?

roger

Gave the car a good clean and polish last weekend for its first birthday present (not that I haven't in the intervening period   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

and noticed just the slightest "rust under the lacquer" marks on one spoke on each of the rear wheels.

Looks like I 've joined the club.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I must admit probably a bit early to go the Warranty route, but I'll keep a check on it and if nothing else report it at the next service - 12 months away.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

hornseye

Perhaps the wheel quality is getting worse?

My last ('51) MR2 15" alloys started corroding/bubbling at about 40K mile mark - The car was used every day, washed every weekend and wheels cleaned with MC2/Virisol.

My new November '04 car, gararged all winter, only taken out in the dry and has covered 2,500 miles already has the first signs of bubbling. Just noticed it last w/e while I was waxing my wheels...  s:( :( s:(  

All credit to Mr T on my first '2 they exchanged the wheel under warranty. However I did cite [owned an IS200 from next door lexus dealer] wheel corrosion seems to prevalent on some types of Toyota alloy wheel. Looks like I'll be back again....
MY04 MR2 Roadster - Silver - 6MT - TTE Exhaust & Springs.
S3/PD130

Hope4Sun

I think the time to choose those new wheels (discussed a while ago) for mine may be soon!!!, The car is only 5 months old and not even covered 2000 miles and the wheels have started going.

Just out of interest when i had my red roadster, it went through 3 new Wolfrace alloys in a year due to flaking, maybe there is a heat problem or the standard brake pad dust is bad news for alloys  s:( :( s:(

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

heathstimpson

Just had my replacement set fitted and I'm sure the coating looks different on these.

Anonymous

Mine are also starting to bubble, but mine are second hand but I still am under my warranty.

Will they change mine? Who would I ring? The dealer I bought from? Or is there a number for the warranty I call.

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Moreno"Mine are also starting to bubble, but mine are second hand but I still am under my warranty.

Will they change mine? Who would I ring? The dealer I bought from? Or is there a number for the warranty I call.

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

if they are the stock type alloys, then just go into your Mr.T dealer and ask them to change them, but i wouldn't be mentioning that they are second hand alloys  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

No they are not second hand alloys, its a second hand car. But they gave me warranty when I bought it. Can you go to any Mr T or the one you bought it from?

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Moreno"No they are not second hand alloys, its a second hand car. But they gave me warranty when I bought it. Can you go to any Mr T or the one you bought it from?
Is the car under three years old  s:?: :?: s:?:  If so go to any dealer. If its a warrenty for an older car you'll have to look to see who endorses it  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Ok, I will have a look.

Thanks guys

Anonymous

I beleive, but I might be wrong, the reason for the alloys problem is the fact that when you are breaking, VERY HOT particles from the break pads and maybe the discs are hiting the alloys. Therefore the laquer that Toyota puts on their alloys is removed from these tiny areas, which causes the corrosion. If you notice more bubbles on the alloys are closer to the calipers because they are getting hit by these particles more. The only way to stop this from happening is to put a guard between the breaking system and the alloy. I believe you can buy this from Halfords...but I haven't checked this myself. The downside by putting these guards is less ventilation. So we all have to choose what we want. I got my alloys replaced like 3 weeks ago. Toyota agreed to replace them straight away. My car is one year old.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "michalis"I beleive, but I might be wrong, the reason for the alloys problem is the fact that when you are breaking, VERY HOT particles from the break pads and maybe the discs are hiting the alloys. Therefore the laquer that Toyota puts on their alloys is removed from these tiny areas, which causes the corrosion. If you notice more bubbles on the alloys are closer to the calipers because they are getting hit by these particles more. The only way to stop this from happening is to put a guard between the breaking system and the alloy. I believe you can buy this from Halfords...but I haven't checked this myself. The downside by putting these guards is less ventilation. So we all have to choose what we want. I got my alloys replaced like 3 weeks ago. Toyota agreed to replace them straight away. My car is one year old.
Yes but you would have thought that Toyota would use a better coating as some on here have had the wheels redone in other etsablishments and suffered no problems since.

Anonymous

I'm getting my first warranty replacement set fitted by my dealer in the morning after a 2 month wait... I will now be watching these very carefully to see when they start to go. I am expecting that they will go the same way...

Anonymous

Right, got the new alloys fitted today. They look great. I asked what warranty these have and the dealer said 1 year... however, he said if I remain having my servicing done by them and I look after this set without kerbing them, Toyota will be quite 'lenient' if they bubble after a year...

Liz

My second set are bubbling at the fronts, keep a beady eye on them!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

heathstimpson

On closer inspection of my new set that were fitted a couple of weeks ago I've noticed that they have scratched the top edges of the alloys as they put the tyres on. Is it worth taking back to moan or is it quite normal to get some damage occur when putting the tyres back on  s:?: :?: s:?:  This is the top edge not the front face  s:? :? s:?

Tags: