Elise/Exige seats in an MR2

Started by Dudi, May 4, 2021, 18:02

Dudi

I'm looking for seats that offer more support than stock but also not full on bucket seats which have limitations for use with the standard 3 point belt.

Elise type seats or the Corbeau Le seats seem to be the most obvious choice. Has anyone got them to fit and any pointers for making/sourcing subframes to fit them into an MR2?

Sliding mounts are a must.

Petrus

My buckets have no issue with the 3p belt and I have them mounted on OEM sliders. Both on driver´s side ones actually; for LHD and RHD.

Dudi

They look pretty good and lightweight. I won't be doing the fabricating of any brackets myself but can you give me some more detail on how you've mounted them up?

Petrus

Used the OEM ones. Only had to add a 2 x 1 rectangular cross tube at the rear. That fit to the OEM rear mounting points and the tube under the rear of the seat.

You can júst see the ends. Cut them at an angle so bolting down was a piece of cake.
Note the seat belt females.

I thínk @AdamR28 has the same seats.

Roj

That's a neat solution @Petrus

I've looked at the RCC seats previously but assumed I'd need custom subframes if I wanted to keep the sliding mech. Good to know it's an easy modification to the stick sliders.

Iain

Im planning on doing the same using a oem runner and mounting my bucket seat to that similar to Petrus.

Got a spare runner from Dick Sloan so i can swap the bucket and standard seat as an when im doing a track day.

Petrus

Quote from: Iain on May  4, 2021, 21:25Im planning on doing the same using a oem runner and mounting my bucket seat to that similar to Petrus.

Got a spare runner from Dick Sloan so i can swap the bucket and standard seat as an when im doing a track day.

5 minutes each and done.

Mr2paul

Petrus. Don't those seats make you sweat like a bugger in your heat??
That's why I hate leather seats, been there and although they look nice, they are either v cold or take your skin off. I'll stick to boring cloth covered.
Learning is good. Failing to learn is not an option

Petrus

Quote from: Mr2paul on May  4, 2021, 21:53Petrus. Don't those seats make you sweat like a bugger in your heat??
That's why I hate leather seats, been there and although they look nice, they are either v cold or take your skin off. I'll stick to boring cloth covered.

The car came with the leather option.
These are só much cooler.

Dudi

@Petrus I guess these sit lower than OEM seats due to less padding?

I'm assuming if I separate the runner from my OEM seats then there's not going back easily?

Petrus

They sit the same hight; a bit higher if anything.

The easiest is sourcing a second set of runners. They are aplenty and cheap enough at breakers.

Dudi

As my car does get used on track fairly often and I do find the OEM seats sit quite high, I don't think higher than OEM is any good for me.

Tempted to give the Bride FG seat rails a go, they're two separate pieces with sliders so a bucket should be able to go a lot lower than OEM. When I had Rogue seat brackets in my previous MR2 I was able to get the seats super low albeit without any sliders but lack of interlinking bar across the two mounts helps get the base of the seat touching the floor if necessary.

Petrus

Quote from: Dudi on May  5, 2021, 19:39As my car does get used on track fairly often

Ah, new piece of info.

Then the OEM rails are out; simples.

Dudi

Even your seats will likely offer better support than the OEM with almost zero shoulder and thigh support. I've got my eye on a pair of seats with a project for a local engineer if he can fabricate something relatively soon. Will update this as hopefully things progress.

Roj

Quote from: Petrus on May  5, 2021, 20:06
Quote from: Dudi on May  5, 2021, 19:39As my car does get used on track fairly often

Ah, new piece of info.

Then the OEM rails are out; simples.

Any particular reason why you think this? I thought your solution was a good one and not too different from OEM.

Petrus

Quote from: Roj on May  5, 2021, 21:21Any particular reason why you think this? I thought your solution was a good one and not too different from OEM.

He wants lower than the OEM seats. The OEM rails do not sit particularly low. They go óver the cross chassis rail p.e.

I have simply added rear fitting points at the rear. For the rest totally OEM and it sits as high as. I like that but then it is for road use in the mountians and what is more without p.a.s.: I both want to see where I go ánd good purchase with the elbows bent a bit more. Closer to ralley than to track.

Roj

Quote from: Petrus on May  5, 2021, 22:20
Quote from: Roj on May  5, 2021, 21:21Any particular reason why you think this? I thought your solution was a good one and not too different from OEM.

He wants lower than the OEM seats. The OEM rails do not sit particularly low. They go óver the cross chassis rail p.e.

I have simply added rear fitting points at the rear. For the rest totally OEM and it sits as high as. I like that but then it is for road use in the mountians and what is more without p.a.s.: I both want to see where I go ánd good purchase with the elbows bent a bit more. Closer to ralley than to track.

Understood. Thanks.

Petrus

Here a bit of a naughty photo.

The nude floor:

The OEM rails are not very flat not light to start with and thén they sit well clear of the floor: See the ´elevated´ bolt holes.
They are however sturdy, stable, reliable and a doddle to swap over if you want/need  to put the OEM seats back.

Petrus

Hmmm....

I think I prefer the shifter and handbrake withoút the vanity plastic. Can even slide the rubbah off the handbrake lever. I thínk. As a bonus it is lighter and willl make afjeting of the brake a doddle  8)

If only I would figure out what to do with the window switches.

Tags: