2zz hesitation issues

Started by Scooby250, June 11, 2021, 08:00

Scooby250

Hi all I have an issue that I'm trying to get sorted but still not quite there. Recently been having the following fault code coming up P0172 system to rich bank 1 so far I have had the maf cleaned,replaced a cracked ignition coil and checked my fuel lines but the car is still having the following symptoms.
When I start driving at low speed I put my foot down and the car dips as if it is going to stall if I dip the clutch and give it more revs it picks up and drive fine. Once running along at speed every now and then I will feel hesitation.
My lift is still working as it should and no other fault code has come up yet.
looking at the other options it suggests it could be a vacuum leak, fuel pressure at fuel rails, fuel injectors being dirty or oxygen sensor.
I'm going to get a fuel cleaner to put through the system for the injectors any suggestions on a good one also any idea which oxygen sensor could throw up this code.
Any suggestions or idea what the issue maybe gratefully received
2005 Sable FL, 2zz engine, Cobra quad exhaust, Malian sports cat, TRD spoiler, tte/gb body kit, T-Sport Leather Seats, 17" Rial TX Alloys, Toyo Proxie TR1, KYB shocks and Tein springs

Carolyn

Have you tried giving it new spark plugs?  Sounds simple, but it often is a culprit.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Dev

I would concentrate on any restrictions in the intake including the air filter and the ignition system like bad or worn out coils and spark plugs.

Scooby250

I have replaced 1 damaged coil pack but has not changed much. Was consider changing 2 more as they look slightly worn.
Spark plugs could be a good call any recommendations for a 2zz?
2005 Sable FL, 2zz engine, Cobra quad exhaust, Malian sports cat, TRD spoiler, tte/gb body kit, T-Sport Leather Seats, 17" Rial TX Alloys, Toyo Proxie TR1, KYB shocks and Tein springs

Dev

Quote from: Scooby250 on June 11, 2021, 14:23I have replaced 1 damaged coil pack but has not changed much. Was consider changing 2 more as they look slightly worn.

From my experience age takes progressive toll on these ignition coils until one of them reaches failure and creates a condition like this. The coils are generally a consumption item and should be refreshed every ten to twelve years as they grow tired. Make sure to only use new  OEM Denso coils and not generic with new OEM plugs either Denso or NGK.

Alex Knight

Quote from: Scooby250 on June 11, 2021, 14:23I have replaced 1 damaged coil pack but has not changed much. Was consider changing 2 more as they look slightly worn.

NGK BKR6EIX.

Scooby250

So I have ordered new spark plugs NGK PFR7G-11S which are the platinum ones that Lotus recommend.
I have had another code pop up today P410 secondary air injection malfunction not sure if this is related to the other code

Alex Knight

Quote from: Scooby250 on June 13, 2021, 21:07So I have ordered new spark plugs NGK PFR7G-11S which are the platinum ones that Lotus recommend.
I have had another code pop up today P410 secondary air injection malfunction not sure if this is related to the other code

I'm guessing it's a 2ZZ from a Corolla? Either way, you can just clear the code. It's unrelated.

Scooby250

I'm guessing it's a 2ZZ from a Corolla? Either way, you can just clear the code. It's unrelated.
[/quote]

That's good news thank you. So still just trying to sort out the original issue.
You are right engine from a Corrola running on a Celica ecu

Scooby250

Quote from: Carolyn on June 11, 2021, 09:42Have you tried giving it new spark plugs?  Sounds simple, but it often is a culprit.

I have fitted new plugs last night but I'm guessing this is going to make little difference as the ones I have pulled out look like new almost

Alex Knight

If the problem still exists, replace the MAF sensor with a known working one to eliminate that.

s12vea

Worth replacing the all coil packs to
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Scooby250

Well it's currently back in at the garage with a few different things being tried and tested. The one thing my mechanic isn't fully convinced by is the induction kit as he said similar issues happen with the Elise when an induction kit is fitted

Dev

Quote from: Scooby250 on June 18, 2021, 17:45Well it's currently back in at the garage with a few different things being tried and tested. The one thing my mechanic isn't fully convinced by is the induction kit as he said similar issues happen with the Elise when an induction kit is fitted

What kind of induction kit are you using?
If you are using one that is made for the 1ZZ you can throw a code for being too rich or if you are using a restrictive air filter or any constrictions in the tube you can get this kind of situation.

Scooby250

I have been told it is a K&N cone filter that has been fitted by the previous owner.
I didn't have this problem when I first got the car, I covered a few hundred miles before this issue started

Dev

Does the filter look dirty? Can you post a picture of the intake tube.

Scooby250

The car is in the garage at the mo with my mechanic looking at it.
The first thing he did when it went in 2weeks back was clean the MAF and filter so in theory that is all clean

Scooby250

So here's an update.
Got the car back today and my god it is running fantastically now. Lamba sensor was checked that was fine, found a small leak in the exhaust fitment so replaced gasket. Then swapped over my injectors with a spare set of second hand ones he had and hey presto running lovely.
The only issue left is that my emissions are a bit higher then they should be my mechanic is wondering if the manifold is causing this problem as it is a made up 2zz mani fixing plate to a 1zz precat pipe.
He is questioning the O2 positions as it only has one fitted so will only measure one side also the 4 into 2 pipes as the monkey wrench ones are a better configuration.
Any ideas if this could cause my emission issue

Scooby250

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

Dev

Quote from: Scooby250 on June 23, 2021, 17:23So here's an update.
Got the car back today and my god it is running fantastically now. Lamba sensor was checked that was fine, found a small leak in the exhaust fitment so replaced gasket. Then swapped over my injectors with a spare set of second hand ones he had and hey presto running lovely.
The only issue left is that my emissions are a bit higher then they should be my mechanic is wondering if the manifold is causing this problem as it is a made up 2zz mani fixing plate to a 1zz precat pipe.
He is questioning the O2 positions as it only has one fitted so will only measure one side also the 4 into 2 pipes as the monkey wrench ones are a better configuration.
Any ideas if this could cause my emission issue

The O2 sensor reading should be on the downpipe just before the main catalytic converter. It should not be connected to the header even on the MWR header as it is also wrong. Also to get the best performance you need a 2ZZ header and downpipe. The 1zz exhaust components are too restrictive and will lose power.

Scooby250

The O2 sensor reading should be on the downpipe just before the main catalytic converter. It should not be connected to the header even on the MWR header as it is also wrong. Also to get the best performance you need a 2ZZ header and downpipe. The 1zz exhaust components or too restrictive and will lose power.

[/quote]

I am going to start looking at getting a replacement manifold but as you know the right ones are not cheap

shnazzle

Quote from: Scooby250 on June 24, 2021, 06:51The O2 sensor reading should be on the downpipe just before the main catalytic converter. It should not be connected to the header even on the MWR header as it is also wrong. Also to get the best performance you need a 2ZZ header and downpipe. The 1zz exhaust components or too restrictive and will lose power.

I am going to start looking at getting a replacement manifold but as you know the right ones are not cheap
[/quote]

Get a 2zz manifold off a breaker and have it lengthened by a local exhaust place. It only needs another inch added to the flange side. Hey presto. One of the best manifolds you can get for a 2zz.
You cannot view this attachment.
...neutiquam erro.

JB21

Quote from: shnazzle on June 24, 2021, 07:11
Quote from: Scooby250 on June 24, 2021, 06:51The O2 sensor reading should be on the downpipe just before the main catalytic converter. It should not be connected to the header even on the MWR header as it is also wrong. Also to get the best performance you need a 2ZZ header and downpipe. The 1zz exhaust components or too restrictive and will lose power.

Get a 2zz manifold off a breaker and have it lengthened by a local exhaust place. It only needs another inch added to the flange side. Hey presto. One of the best manifolds you can get for a 2zz.
[/quote]

Get them to add in a sports cat whilst they're at it too.

Scooby250

Quote from: JB21 on June 24, 2021, 08:35

[/quote]

I have just managed to get hold of a 2zz manifold and I already have a 200 cell sports cat so will see if my mechanic can sort this out for me

Dev

Quote from: Scooby250 on June 24, 2021, 11:04
Quote from: JB21 on June 24, 2021, 08:35

I have just managed to get hold of a 2zz manifold and I already have a 200 cell sports cat so will see if my mechanic can sort this out for me
[/quote]

The 02 sensor bung should be right after all of the header pipes collect. The reason why the MWR does it the wrong way is to fool California emission inspectors into thinking the car has the same emission components the car originally came with. The car will run but it is only taking a reading from two of the four pipes.
 With the less resistive  exhaust it should be a big kick in the pants compared to how it is now and it should relieve the rich condition code you were experiencing. 

Tags: