Subframe preservation

Started by BARNPOT2000, July 18, 2021, 17:08

Joesson

@BARNPOT2000
I would certainly paint before fitting. If you have yet to buy the paint I suggest you consider Rustoleum products, these are available to brush / roller or spray and claim to kill rust. I rolled  and brushed two coats on our South facing garden railings, after careful preparation, in the summer of 2019,no brush marks and no signs of deterioration.
(Ancient posts of mine will indicate my dislike for Hammerite products).

Bossworld

Also brushed on two coats.

Recently wire brushed down and spray painted (Hammerite) some brake shields for the Golf. Car lives in the garage but they look worse than before, the spray paint version just doesn't apply as well as the tin

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Bossworld on November 15, 2021, 19:55Also brushed on two coats.

Recently wire brushed down and spray painted (Hammerite) some brake shields for the Golf. Car lives in the garage but they look worse than before, the spray paint version just doesn't apply as well as the tin
So interesting, I've been sceptical about hamerite generally but didn't realise brush painted was so dentramental.
TF099 silver

Bossworld

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on November 15, 2021, 21:27

So interesting, I've been sceptical about hamerite generally but didn't realise brush painted was so dentramental.

Just for clarity mate I've no issues with two MR2 subframes I hand applied two coats with a brush.

It was some brake disc backing plates that I spray painted (with Hammeritr spray) that look worse for wear

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Bossworld on November 15, 2021, 21:53
Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on November 15, 2021, 21:27

Just for clarity mate I've no issues with two MR2 subframes I hand applied two coats with a brush.

It was some brake disc backing plates that I spray painted (with Hammeritr spray) that look worse for wear
Aah! Sorry my mistake, so brushing is probably the way to go, thanks.
TF099 silver

Tags: