Black '03 Projects

Started by Trebordoody, August 1, 2021, 12:15

Chilli Girl

Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Trebordoody

Also added a battery cut-off switch today - 5 minute job! :)

Hopefully won't need it much, but I think it will be useful over winter months when the car often sits for a week or two.

J88TEO

Had one installed a few years back and never had to charge the battery again...even after leaving not starting it for up to 4 weeks!

Trebordoody

Made the most of the good weather this weekend to finally install the under-dash sub. Like others, I went with the InPhase USW10, and I'm really happy with the sound now!

This is not a straight forward job at all! After figuring out the wiring path from the battery to the sub, it meant taking the storage bin plastics out (and the driver's seat) so I could get to the battery side grommet. I ran the wire (yellow in the pic) across to the driver's side an d under the seatbelt and door plastics to the front.

Then the hard part! Lying on my back in the footwell with legs over the back of the car for a couple of hours, I managed to install the metal brackets to hold the sub and then the sub itself. So fiddly, so frustrating, I think my shoulders dislocated a number of times. My wife asked what all the scratches were on my shoulders...  :o

There aren't many places to mount the sub to, but I followed the @shnazzle method with the brackets (and even the sponge), but also added a strip of builders tape for a bit of extra insurance and to spread the weight.

But it's in there and sounds great! Especially driving with the top down in the evening sun last night - just magic!!

Another job off the list!  ;D

shnazzle

Where did you mount the other end? It looks quite upright compared to how mine used to be.
Did you use another bracket? 
...neutiquam erro.

Topdownman

Are you sure you havent just mounted a frying pan under there?!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Trebordoody

Quote from: shnazzle on April  3, 2023, 09:00Where did you mount the other end? It looks quite upright compared to how mine used to be.
Did you use another bracket?

No, I used one of the existing bolt points on the cross member under the dash - I think it might even be the one that you originally had a bracket on which snapped and then decided to connect directly instead? I managed to get it on the bolt directly anyway, and there's room for my feet which is the main thing.

Trebordoody

Quote from: Trebordoody on April  3, 2023, 23:04No, I used one of the existing bolt points on the cross member under the dash - I think it might even be the one that you originally had a bracket on which snapped and then decided to connect directly instead? I managed to get it on the bolt directly anyway, and there's room for my feet which is the main thing.

And it might just be the photo angle tbh! It looks quite close to the pedals in the photo and it really isn't.

Trebordoody

Decided to give the soft top some care and attention on an overcast day, so used some Autoglym cleaner, applied Renovo roof dye (plenty of others on the forum seem to use this) and Autoglym waterproofer/protector.

Very pleased with the results! ;D (The photos don't really do it justice tbh)

Before:

After:

And if you're wondering about the messy paintwork, it was being clayed between roof coat drying times ;)
I finished off the detailing with DA polish and even new reg plates to tidy things up.

Ready for the next evening sunshine drive!

Trebordoody

Next (long overdue) job on the list is suspension refresh this summer.

I've just received my new KYB shocks:

But I'm still undecided on lowering springs - Tein seem popular and affordable, but others claim that H&R and Eibachs are less harsh and maybe more like OEM, but seem way more expensive. I'm thinking I might try Teins and see how I get on, and I can always change them later.

The other more tricky job is bush replacements. I'm not sure I can manage that as well on ramps and stands on the driveway, so tempted to get a local garage involved - they'll need to align it all anyway.

The aim is for a firmer, more direct ride (not bone shattering, but it feels a bit vague at the moment), so OEM feel would be fine, hence KYBs, but I prefer a lower stance. I'm also planning to get track day tuition later this year, so want to do some newbie track work but not looking for a pro racer set-up with coilovers etc at this stage!!

I've scoured the forum and still none the wiser on these things to be honest, so any recommendations (or maybe just pointers to good threads) appreciated!

Tags: