Really Stuck 😀

Started by tomato, August 2, 2021, 21:07

tomato

Now please don't shoot me! Actually on holiday and misses is moaning as chatting about cars yet again..anyway.

Thinking long and hard about next car and if the MR2 is an easy car to tinker with.

Always wanted to add build tweak a car, never had time really to do it, but have a bit more time 2 of the kids are more grown up. Have bought loads of parts for cars in the past and chickened out given a garage instructions to do it 😀

I am also not the most mechanical minded more lack of practice and have fixed but not modified a lots of parts on current SLK which will go when I replace with a MR2.

Not brave enough to play with the other two cars.

Anyway, how easy is it to change modifying an MR2 for a slightly above novice?

Reason being the Green Goddess looks like a unique opportunity but it is done and my worry I wont keep it looking that good, whereas as example the blue tf61 looks like a great base and something I could build from actually learning as I go...

🤔

Call the midlife!

They're ridiculously easy cars to work on, depending on what you want to do and the facilities you have available.
But the general mechanics aren't really the problem, it's getting them running properly after you've made your changes.
If you're looking at making engine changes then decide very early on what route you want to take for engine management and budget accordingly. You're looking at £1500 bare minimum for aftermarket ECU and your FIRST tuning/dyno session.
If you stick to bolting a turbo on the 1zz you're probably going the easiest route for reliability and ease of tuning but starting with the hardest to find in terms of decent turbo and manifold etc.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Ardent

tomato

My Jag is supercharged and the ford we have is turbocharged.

Not driven a non standard mr2, but think would prefer a turbo as this is the way Toyota went with tte. Do like old school turbo charging 🤔

Ardent

Quote from: tomato on August  2, 2021, 21:48My Jag is supercharged and the ford we have is turbocharged.

Not driven a non standard mr2, but think would prefer a turbo as this is the way Toyota went with tte. Do like old school turbo charging 🤔

Tis a happy place.

tomato

Quote from: Call the midlife! on August  2, 2021, 21:28They're ridiculously easy cars to work on, depending on what you want to do and the facilities you have available.

Thank you, not making this easy, feel like buy and try, then tweak 🤔

Ardent

I did want to say buy both.

StuC

Perhaps start small with any medications you try. There are plenty on here to help you with advice etc.
Thinking brakes, suspension etc. 

With the turbo set ups it can be easy to miss something like a pipe which will cause your car to run really badly. Diagnosing from a distance is tricky despite an abundance of enthusiasm.

Come up with a plan for what you want the car to be when you buy it and what you might like to do.
Things are always better with a plan. 👍
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Dev

As it was mentioned these are ridiculously easy cars to work on mainly because there is not a whole lot of car. I have read that Toyotas are engineered to be easily serviced and most mechanics enjoy working working on them because they are not that complex. 

tomato

Thanks guys, buying both would be lovely but other half will probably divorce me 🤔 thinking that through then she might take one anyway 😉

Does feel like if easy should buy good one and then do myself, always wanted to do this and learn feels like idea car to this with.

Call the midlife!

As before, have a think about what you actually want your end product to be and have a look at what's available to help you achieve that goal before you decide which car you want to use as your starting platform.
You could find yourself stuck from the beginning if you can't source a suitable turbo/manifold for instance.
There are many, many cheap imported parts on the market but not necessarily what you want to be using.
60% of the time it works everytime...

The Other Stu

I bought my car back in early 2016. I couldn't do anything but check the dipstick and top up the washer.

Slowly read through everything here. Bought all the gear (helped that I got a £500 Halfords voucher from work and my son happened to work there at the time so got further discount).

With the help of people here (and I'll yet again thank them all - they know who they are), I started off with basics - Service (Oil and filter change, plugs change, MAF clean etc).
Then changed the exhaust for a TTE, along with a new Cat and Toyosport manifold (sounds difficult, but it's much, much easier to do all 3 at the same time - you don't have to fight the 3 amigos!)

With some help, I changed the callipers and then the shocks and springs (I've since done this again alone on my new car).

Changed the subframe (which is joyous) alone.

Changed the clutch (with 2 people helping - don't! Pay someone to do it)

Quite honestly, that's what the club is here for. It's not as scary as it seems!
No Longer Here

tomato

🤔 does sound like I need to build one myself 😂

Spoke to my local garage, they said they would be happy sourcing parts and building if I get stuck...

Tags: