Crash Bolts and camber adjustment

Started by markiii, August 11, 2003, 12:39

markiii

I promised this info to Michael and Phil on Saturday so hear it is.

When lowering the car it can (not always) make it difficult to get the camber alignment back within spec.

Toyota make crash bolts to allow you to fix this. They are primarily designed to help sort alignment problems after a crash where something has moved and can't be got back in spec. Hence why they call them crash bolts.

I will try to post a copy of the relevant BGB pages later to show exactly what I mean, for everybodies benefit. Phil and Michael should be familar with what I'm describing having had their suspension in bits all day.

Firstly part numbers;

Toyota make a dot 1 and dot 2 bolt the part numbers are below. depending on what amount of adjustment is needed you can use a combination of these up to 2 of the same bolts on each side. So to be absolutely sure when turning up for your alignment I'd recommend buying 4 of each, because MRT doesn't stock them and other wise you may have to go back to have your alignment finished.

Dot 1  90105-14146
Dot 2  90105-14147

(For reference only the stock bolt part number is 90105-14140)

In order to adjust camber a combination of these bolts and stock bolts can be used. The following table shows the combination. For reference these are the bolts that attach the strut to the hub assembly. Hole 1 referes to the top mounting hole and hole 2 to the bottom.

Adjustment Value            Stock Bolt        Dot 1        Dot 2
15'                                   hole 1            hole 2
30'                                   hole 1                           hole 2
45'                                                        hole 1      hole 2
1 degree                                                              hole 1 & 2

For reference these should only be used for adjustung the front camber

The rear camber is technically non adjustable, while you can use these bolts at the rear it is not authorised by Toyota and the adjustment values will be trial and error, as the rear stock bolts are bigger than the front ones, resulting in more movement if you use the crash bolts. In addition to use these at the rear you would need new nuts as well. I don't have a part number for the nuts, but it would be whichever fits the stock front bolt.

hope that helps,

Mark.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

I believe ( although you'd have to phone to confirm it) that Elite carry all the nessessary bolts in stock as well, for when they do 4 wheel alignments. I didn't need any when I had mine done, but I seem to remember the guy telling me they had the bits in stock should I need them.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

markiii

hmm, my tabel lost it's formatig.

I'll post the scan later to clarify.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: