MR2 MK3 PROJECT

Started by CarmeloLabadie, August 25, 2021, 15:02

CarmeloLabadie

Hello all,

have a build on this over on mr2roc.org but thought it may be of interest to people on ere!

So the mr2 mk3, common comments hairdressers car, under powered, wrong engine etc etc.

Well im sorry but after owning one I think the majority of comments are very very wrong its a great little thing and used on the right roads the power is spot on for good old fashion fun.

They are currently very cheap to buy, something I cant get my head around. However be warned the £1000 car you all see on eBay will more than likely require full suspension, certain bushes a good service or two and other such things over the first few years of ownership.

Another positive unlike most Jap stuff from this ere they dont seem to suffer from rust like most mine has hardly any and most of that is surface stuff you'd see on say a 3 yrs old car. Not sure if this is down to only being used on summer or what but seems to be common to all.

puma2

:) if i was to start again i would look a cheap 2 with with a long ish mot.
then start with all handling jobs  1st before power. then the rest to follow :)  :)
if i were a hand on person and good with spanners.

the too fellas out in north wales both call Tom  think certainly  now how to build and play with a good 2 8)  8) 

The Other Stu

That's almost exactly what I did with my first one (hence the for sale post with a catalogue of things I've done).
It had a year's ticket and over the last 5 years I've replaced everything that needed doing and some that didn't.
No Longer Here

SuperArt

As is the case for most cheapish cars at the bottom of the depreciation curve a lot of folk don't keep up with maintenance or replacement of parts as the cost of those jobs sometimes outweigh the value of the car.

A lot of lemons out there for sure, you'll be hard pressed to find a nicely kept, late model year example south of £3k.

It's inevitable with the passage of time that enough casual owners will have let these cars go to ruin that the good ones will just spike up in value. It'll be a self perpetuating cycle of the less good examples there are the more people want one, leading to higher market prices and more exclusivity as less people can afford it.

Or they will do like the Pontiac Fiero and barely gain any value over the years.

Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

Tags: