Running Rich and idle problems

Started by M.Dub, September 30, 2021, 10:46

Chilli Girl

Quote from: M.Dub on September 30, 2021, 21:26This is her,

Not sure if the previous owner was a member, think he sort advice from here on the rebuild.

Do I detect an early VW Camper in the background?
Nice.
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

jonbill

an air leak after the throttle is still unmetered air, so would make it lean. (and idle would be high)
would be good to see pic of those spark plugs.
is it using much oil?

M.Dub

Yea
Quote from: Chilli Girl on September 30, 2021, 22:36

Not sure if the previous owner was a member, think he sort advice from here on the rebuild.

Nice.
[/quote
Quote from: Chilli Girl on September 30, 2021, 22:36

Nice.

Yea my dads project, it's years in the making lol.

M.Dub

Quote from: jonbill on September 30, 2021, 22:43an air leak after the throttle is still unmetered air, so would make it lean. (and idle would be high)
would be good to see pic of those spark plugs.
is it using much oil?

Iv binned the old plugs but they was pretty heavy in carbon, I had misfire codes on all 4 that cleared when I changed the plugs. Iv had many issues to resolve with this car already!

My favourite was when it blew its fuel hose off behind the drivers seat and filled the car with fuel. The clip that holds the hose to the pump hadn't been put back on. Had to strip the whole interior. Good job I don't smoke.

M.Dub

No it doesn't use any oil that Iv noticed.

jonbill

I wonder why the fuel pump hose had been taken off in the first place. If the pump has been replaced with an aftermarket one with too high volume or pressure might overpower the regulator 🤔

M.Dub

Iv thought the same, Iv got a second hand replacement pump etc on order so I was going to swap that out to see if it made a difference. Think the hose has been off because the car has previously been stripped and re built.

The car never fails to start first time, if I had leaking injectors would it flood and struggle to start?

Also if the injectors are too big cc
Would that cause a over fuel? 

shnazzle

Definitely.
Argh why won't people just leave these cars alone eh @Carolyn ;)
...neutiquam erro.

jonbill

Both larger than standard injector (cc) size and higher than standard fuel pressure will make it run rich.
The ECU only controls the amount of time the injectors are 'on', and that amount of time is only valid if everything is as it was when the map was developed.

M.Dub

Quote from: jonbill on October  1, 2021, 13:47Both larger than standard injector (cc) size and higher than standard fuel pressure will make it run rich.
The ECU only controls the amount of time the injectors are 'on', and that amount of time is only valid if everything is as it was when the map was developed.

Perfect thank you all for your help I really appreciate it.

Looks like iv got a busy weekend ahead.

I'm going to replace the fuel pump etc and if that doesn't fix anything check a injector to see the cc, I'm assuming it's stamped on the side?

I'll change them if they are too big. Was the OEM 250cc?

Iv also got a OEM MAF from when I salvaged a standard air box so might give that a clean and see how it behaves.

Even tho everting Iv bought claims to be OEM / Denso I just don't trust them 100% so many fakes out there.

Carolyn

Quote from: M.Dub on October  1, 2021, 15:57
Quote from: jonbill on October  1, 2021, 13:47Both larger than standard injector (cc) size and higher than standard fuel pressure will make it run rich.

Perfect thank you all for your help I really appreciate it.

Looks like iv got a busy weekend ahead.

I'm going to replace the fuel pump etc and if that doesn't fix anything check a injector to see the cc, I'm assuming it's stamped on the side?

I'll change them if they are too big. Was the OEM 250cc?

Iv also got a OEM MAF from when I salvaged a standard air box so might give that a clean and see how it behaves.

Even tho everting Iv bought claims to be OEM / Denso I just don't trust them 100% so many fakes out there.

The injectors tend to be colour coded.  Standard are green, the next up (2ZZ) are yellow.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

M.Dub

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd update you all and hopefully this will help others having the same issues.

It was the injectors!

They looked decent enough and all the seals etc were in good shape but soon at I swapped them out for some new ones the rich running stopped and so did all the idle issues. Don't think they were leaking just over sized.

I have developed a misfire on cylinder 1 but I can't notice it when driving the car. Think it's flagging it up on idle. Could this just be the injector not seated properly and getting a small vacuum leak?

Cheers 🍻

jonbill

Thats good news.
I'd think your misfire might be a fouled plug.
maybe take them out and clean them and try again?

jonbill

what markings did the duff injectors have? same as the good ones?

Ardent

Good news.

The collective strikes again.

M.Dub

The injectors had the same part number but different numbers stamped on the opposite side.

Not sure on the misfire as Iv not touched the plugs for weeks and I have only got the misfire code after changing the injectors.

shnazzle

Quote from: M.Dub on October  2, 2021, 21:21The injectors had the same part number but different numbers stamped on the opposite side.

Not sure on the misfire as Iv not touched the plugs for weeks and I have only got the misfire code after changing the injectors.

This is now ringing a bell actually... I remember someone doing this and then disappeared.

Can you check the number of holes on the injector nozzle?
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

Quote from: shnazzle on October  3, 2021, 08:38
Quote from: M.Dub on October  2, 2021, 21:21The injectors had the same part number but different numbers stamped on the opposite side.

This is now ringing a bell actually... I remember someone doing this and then disappeared.

Can you check the number of holes on the injector nozzle?

As I recall when we did the valve clearances on Helen's car, it reported misfires while it re-learned the valve timing, then they went away.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

M.Dub

I'll dig the old injectors out the skip later and post a pick.

I'm just gonna drive it for a few days see if the misfire clears itself.

carolineasb

Did the previous owner say why they rebuilt the engine? Seems odd that they had to rebuild (which is usually down to possible oil burning and then the subsequent breakdown of the precats) but then didn't change the manifold and thus remove the precats?
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

M.Dub

No he never said, I asked him if he had removed the pre cats when I viewed it but he dint believe the whole pre cat story and thought the issues the roadster had was down to something else, he never said what he believed it was tho.

Fist thing I did was put a stainless system on it. The cats to be fair were in good condition from what I could see.

Think he just bought it as a projects
as he said he's been rebuilding engines a long time.

M.Dub

M.Dub

shnazzle

Quote from: M.Dub on October  3, 2021, 13:24.
Thought so... 

We've had a discussion about these on here once before. 
Supposedly "better" because they had a slightly higher flow and "better" spray patten.
I remained unconvinced... And now vindicated.
...neutiquam erro.

M.Dub

Bloody hell!!!

Guessing the injectors are rubbish?

Tags: