Running Rich and idle problems

Started by M.Dub, September 30, 2021, 10:46

Carolyn

I'd try a set of plugs.  Cheap enough ,and running rich for so long won't have done them any good.

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

M.Dub

Changed them 100 miles ago

It didn't have the misfires before.

Can't get a break with this car lol

jonbill

100 miles of super rich is long enough.
what are the fuel trims saying?

M.Dub

I'm not sure what they should look like but I'm guessing they should be somewhat consistent?

That screen shot is taken with the car just sat at idle.

Iv got a set of plugs somewhere I'll put them in this week sometime see if it helps.

It's currently got v power fuel and injection cleaner in the tank, you think that could be anything to do with it?

Thanks

jonbill

fuel trims look fine, I'm with @Carolyn

Ardent

Trims looking good from here.

Is now the time for a(nother) set of plugs
£8 delivered and an ecu reset.

Dev

I would start looking at the coil packs. If they are the original they probably have deteriorated to the point where they are malfunctioning intermittently. Both age and time take its toll as the varnish from the windings wear thin. I have seen this kind of situation myself and with with other cars where a fresh set of OEM coils ends up being an instant fix (do not use cheap aftermarket coils). It can also be the cause of running slightly rich from being tired.  Unfortunately there is no diagnostic method to test the coil out side of the engine however when the ECU registers a misfire the coils are suspect. 

Beachbum957

Our 2002 gets random misfire codes periodically, but always just at startup, and typically after sitting for days and in cool weather. While it is more rare, a single cylinder misfire might get recorded, but never the same cylinder. No definitive cause has ever been found, and after clearing the codes, the issue may go away for months.  The random codes have never occurred after a warm startup, in normal driving, or if the idle RPM is held slightly high after a cold start.

The 2002 has been running the MAF mod with remanufactured yellow injectors for years.

Speculation is something is marginal, like slightly low fuel pressure at start, fuel drainback to the tank, a slightly weak signal from the crank sensor, or possibly slightly low voltage after sitting for a long period. 

I would suggest clearing the code, and just driving it and see if it comes back and if there is any pattern.

M.Dub

Thanks everyone,

I'll try changing the plugs as a already have a spare set and the car has been running very rich until recently. If that don't work I'll run it for a while see if it disappears all tho it does feels horrible.

My confusion is why have the misfires only appeared since I removed the old injectors?

Could the over furling have masked the misfire somehow u think?

M.Dub

What's the cylinder layout?

Is number 1 on the right as you look at the engine?

Just changed the plugs but no change in the misfires, seems to pick it up on cylinders 1 and 2 mostly and intermittently on 3 and 4.

Feel like it's one thing after another with this car now.

You think this would have shown up on the old injectors, Iv got a second hand coil pack due so maybe if I put that on cylinder 1 and it clears the code then it must be that, just seems strange that they all failed at once soon as Iv changed the injectors?

Carolyn

A rich mixture is easier to ignite, so less misfires?

Now the mixture is much leaner, you need a fatter spark.  If the coil packs are  tired that could explain it.

You could swap the coils on 1 and 2 with the coils on 3 and 4 and see if the fault moves with them.

Don't get discouraged - you'll get there.

M.Dub

Yea maybe that sort of makes sense.
When I first got the car the spark plugs and coil pack were full of water, I change the plugs but not the packs, maybe they got damaged.

Guess I'll have to spend more money!

The reason I bought this car is because I thought the engine would be solid but I'm starting to feel like somethings seriously wrong.

Carolyn

Quote from: M.Dub on October  6, 2021, 18:06Yea maybe that sort of makes sense.
When I first got the car the spark plugs and coil pack were full of water, I change the plugs but not the packs, maybe they got damaged.

Guess I'll have to spend more money!

The reason I bought this car is because I thought the engine would be solid but I'm starting to feel like somethings seriously wrong.

Don't tell me - the plastic engine cover was missing?  Nothing in an engine is that serious - everything can be fixed.

One step at a time!

M.Dub

No funnily enough! He probably just it on just before I got there tho lol.

Had a good inch of water in all 4 

M.Dub

Changed coil packs for some salvaged Densos from a 2005.

Still misfires being reported although not immediately,

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 honestly what more does this car want from me lol

Carolyn

Did you try my suggestion of moving the coil packs?

It's probably time to check the valve clearances and do a compression test.

M.Dub

Yea did that but to be honest the original coil packs looked tired so thought that may have been the problem.

I'm thinking the same now regarding compression, just don't know how to do it myself

Ardent

1st off.
Do you have a compression tester tool?

Carolyn

When you changed the coil packs, did the misfires stay on the same cylinders?

M.Dub

Hi guys sorry for the late reply.

Yea still shows misfire on cylinder 1 and 2.

I don't have a compression tester but think I'll order one later and see what it says.

I'll watch a few YouTubes in the meantime try and learn how to do it.

I'll post the results when I have them.

shnazzle

Quote from: M.Dub on October 16, 2021, 10:07Hi guys sorry for the late reply.

Yea still shows misfire on cylinder 1 and 2.

I don't have a compression tester but think I'll order one later and see what it says.

I'll watch a few YouTubes in the meantime try and learn how to do it.

I'll post the results when I have them.

Key things really are to make sure you pull the injector fuse so that you're not drowning the cylinders,and to floor the accelerator while you're cranking.
...neutiquam erro.

M.Dub

Just looking online (eBay, Amazon) and seeing some really nasty looking testers.

Anybody know any decent ones that don't cost the earth?

Carolyn

M.Dub

Done the tests

All 4 range from 165 psi to 170psi

Is this abit low?

Don't know how accurate the test kit is

Dev

Quote from: M.Dub on October 21, 2021, 13:50Done the tests

All 4 range from 165 psi to 170psi

Is this abit low?

Don't know how accurate the test kit is

Hard to tell with a compression tester because of too many variables of how it was tested. Cold engine vs warm engine and other things vary the test.
The most important thing is if the values are close between each cylinder it is assumed that its fine. 
 If you find one or two cylinders that vary greatly from each other that is when you do the wet test. 

Tags: