rooting wires from engine bay to front

Started by Mollydog, March 4, 2022, 08:12

Mollydog

I'm planing on having some wiring threaded from the rear tail lights leading up to the dash top cubbyhole,

Not knowing or seen where the locations of the apertures in the bulkhead are, I would love to hear where they are (images would help) and opinions which route to take and tips on doing this

Many thanks

Call the midlife!

How many and how thick? You can fairly safely make a small hole in the main loom grommet to get a few, small gauge wires through.
But it's down on the bulkhead behind the battery and also requires some of the rear bin plastics removing.
Again, depending on the thickness of the wires you can then take them along the passenger door sill and up across the glovebox where it's fairly easy to get access to route them to the cubby.
Or I THINK there's a similar grommet on the driver's side that's not already in use, I used the main loom side because it was 12v feeds off the battery.
Technically you could use the existing holes where the handbrake cables enter the cabin and take out the centre console to route them that way but it's a bit of a faff and there's going to be some exposed cable where it leaves the centre console, unless you tuck it under the carpet.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Call the midlife!

Grommets, not the best photos as the engine and mounts are out so probably gives a bad idea of access. The driver side one might be easier to access with the charcoal canister removed.
Reasonable amount of room through the gear cable/handbrake tunnel but you're probably going to have to feed it in from underneath.

Topdownman

I took a wire for my reversing camera through one of the grommets behind the passenger bin. I then ran it under the centre console and out through a hole drilled in the cubby.

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Mollydog

Thank you all for this help, it's given me food for thought

Like you Topdownman, the wires I'm intended to thread to the front of the car to the cubbyhole are also my wires from the reversing camera I purchased the other day, I can't believe £10.90 + P&P came to just under £16, is there nothing the Chinese can't make cheap

@Call the midlife!

apart from the RCA plug the wires aren't that thick but I would like to shield the wires in split ducting like this one

This will be either 10mm diameter (my preferred size) or 6mm diameter if there's not enough room for the 10mm, if going through a grommet maybe have to stop the ducting on one side of the grommet and start again on the other side

These are the wires,

I have axle stands so lifting the car up, slow but doable

I'm still trimming the nav-pod, I'm at the stage where it's a little nibble here and a little nibble there, small amounts at a time to get the unit in, I have enough side room, it's the hight I'm tight on, the unit is 100mm tall and so-far  I'm just over 2mm too tight and there's no give in the fibreglass so I'm using my Black & Decker sander sparingly

On a side note, my intentions are to keep using the electrical aerial, the head unit has an aerial wire popping out of it, and doing searches on here I came across  two images, am  I right in thinking the wire coming out of the head unit needs to connect with the pin shown here, if so are there any blank plugs one could buy to do this connection?

I presume the pin OUT from the Toyota head unit?

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Call the midlife! on March  4, 2022, 16:57Grommets, not the best photos as the engine and mounts are out so probably gives a bad idea of access. The driver side one might be easier to access with the charcoal canister removed.
Reasonable amount of room through the gear cable/handbrake tunnel but you're probably going to have to feed it in from underneath.
Alright, where are the 3 photos I took and uploaded earlier?😂

Topdownman

I think I may have used similar ducting in te engine bay but the wire has to run under the bins so I didnt use it inside the car. You should be able to spot the black wire with some re-inforcing tape on in this picture. The riskiest area is where it goes over the sharp edge and then under the carpet to the centre console.

(I was wondering about your imaginary photos, John!).

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Call the midlife!

Fabric loom tape (Tessa) is good for wrapping and protecting cables over edges etc, it's heat resistant too around the engine bay.

Mollydog

Quote from: Call the midlife! on March  4, 2022, 20:46Fabric loom tape (Tessa) is good for wrapping and protecting cables over edges etc, it's heat resistant too around the engine bay.

thank you for this tip Call the midlife!  and it's relativaly cheap @£4.19 with Amazon prime, it'll be very good using it in tight spaces/bends

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tesa-19mm-Adhesive-Wiring-Harness/dp/B00EVSL9X4

Jimbo

Quote from: Call the midlife! on March  4, 2022, 08:24How many and how thick? You can fairly safely make a small hole in the main loom grommet to get a few, small gauge wires through.
But it's down on the bulkhead behind the battery and also requires some of the rear bin plastics removing.
Again, depending on the thickness of the wires you can then take them along the passenger door sill and up across the glovebox where it's fairly easy to get access to route them to the cubby.
Or I THINK there's a similar grommet on the driver's side that's not already in use, I used the main loom side because it was 12v feeds off the battery.

Is holing the grommet the only option? They looks pretty well secured so I'm assuming so. I've got an active sub to run power to so will be going from the battery. Need to feed from the engine side due to the location of the inline fuse, battery and tray removed in preparation - any advice welcome!

Picture of the two grommets from the inside, behind the passenger side cubby plastics.
You cannot view this attachment.

And ordered some of the recommended tape to neaten up the job, will have to decide on the route to the drivers footwell once it's in.
Mark - Project Stop Gap - 03 Roadster in blue

Call the midlife!

There's very little in the way of pre existing holes through the firewall and it only needs a relatively small one making through the grommet to pull through.

Jimbo

I braved it and got there. Poked a small hole from inside, small screwdriver through to the engine bay, taped wire to the screwdriver and pulled back through. Just need to run it through all the plastic channels in the engine bay from the grommet to the terminal and tape them back up - rain stopped play though!

Thanks again to the help and advice on this forum.
Mark - Project Stop Gap - 03 Roadster in blue

shnazzle

Actually a very helpful picture of those grommets @Jimbo for anyone wanting to run a subwoofer, reversing cameras, or additional wiring for turbo setups etc.
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

You CAN actually run wires through the void where the gear and handbrake cables come into the cabin but it's a struggle with the engine in place.

Tags: