Best Battery - what do you find works well and lasts well

Started by A7DUO, March 14, 2022, 23:28

A7DUO

I know batteries are much of muchness in many cases, but I think my 2001 MR-2 suffers from:
a) previous owner garaging it for extended periods of time, although he did used to isolate the battery but not necessarily charge it in storage
b) fitting a cheap and cheerful battery last time it was changed.

At some point I'll have to change it, and wondering what members would a) avoid, b) recommended

Thanks
Matt
Matt (2001 Toyota MR-2) 2009 Toyota IQ, 2016 Caterham 420R, 2008 Mini Clubman CooperD

Gaz mr-s

Batt type is an 053. Yuasa are popular, & I believe the biggest manufacturer.  Whatever you find the best deal on really.  Higher CCA figure better than a lower one, I assume....???

Topdownman

I have one of these, turns my V6 engine over no problem and current one about 4 years old at least and going strong.

Yuasa
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

SV-3

Double check the dimensions with the supplier - some mis-identify the battery :o
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

Gibla

I have these motorcycle batteries installed in all of my '2' s . A number of other members have also gone down this avenue

ELTX20H EXIDE LI-ION Lithium Motorbike Battery 12V 84W 380A <these weigh under 1kg, hold their charge well, but can be 'safely' discharged without causing long-lasting battery damage as you would experience with lead-acid variety.

As an added bonus, it gives you more room! these batteries are maybe 1/3 of the dimension of a 'normal' one.

Not particularly cheap though at circa £120-140

The best battery? < For me, Yes!
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

Topdownman

Quote from: SV-3 on March 15, 2022, 07:30Double check the dimensions with the supplier - some mis-identify the battery :o

Thats a good point, some mix up the mk2 and mk3 batteries in their fitting guides so double checking is very sensible!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Joesson

I have had a Yuasa in my 2 for over 5 years (guaranteed for that long). My car is garaged and SORN for 6 months of the year but on charge much of the time with a Lidl special charger.
I also got a Yuasa for my daily, a diesel, not for so many years.
But, the previous two years my daily was doing only around 16 miles a week and so I did keep it checked and charged with my Lidl charger.
Maybe the last two years have not helped some middle aged batteries if charge not kept up.

paulj

Yuasa 053 size is a good shout.  I got one with a four year warranty, keep an eye out for offers.  My advice is that changing a battery sooner rather than later saves a lot of worry - worth it if you have the spare cash
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

A7DUO

I actually found my current Lucas 053 cell isn't bad actually (although I suspect the TOAD Alarm/Immob drains it amongst other things), which is why previous owner fitted battery isolator switch as he only used the car occasionally.  I just leave it on a battery conditioner in the garage now and that should be fine for a bit,

Yes when I come to change it a Yuasa 053 is what I will get  :)

Thanks for all your replies  ;)
Matt (2001 Toyota MR-2) 2009 Toyota IQ, 2016 Caterham 420R, 2008 Mini Clubman CooperD

Mr2highpeak

I'd consider buying a battery booster and just keep the old battery going for as long as it works, plus you can use the booster for other vehicles you may have.

Tags: