Now for the ol' razzle shnazzle

Started by MrChris, March 20, 2022, 19:52

MrChris

Quote from: Joesson on August  1, 2022, 09:03I do not know, but I find it difficult to understand why another brand of cable should be very different to a Toyota branded cable.
I believe I'm correct in saying that Toyota do not make steel cable, coat it and put it into an outer casing, that will be done by another company, maybe one that also supplies Autodoc, who do have a good selection of parts for our cars. Only downside is their delivery time, but it is what is is and I worked around it.
Not so different to the tale of our Oxygen sensors.
When I first had my 2, before I was a Member on here, I asked  a motor engineering relative about replacing a dud.
Only buy branded sensors was his advice, and he favoured Bosch products and they can be replaced individually.
Since that conversation I have bought, on two separate occasions, two NGK sensors. I have those and an OE Denso in my car. No problems.

PS
Iirc TCB an affiliate on the Forum offers the best price for Toyota brake cables tel:01579 20383879

Thanks I tried TCB but they only have PFL in stock currently. I've gone for some Autodoc ABS cables. What could go wrong. I know it's against general advice but I also do tend to agree with how hard can it be to create some cables? Interestingly on Autodoc they had cables for PFL and FL with different lengths and manufacturing months/years.

Joesson

Quote from: MrChris on August  1, 2022, 11:45Thanks I tried TCB but they only have PFL in stock currently. I've gone for some Autodoc ABS cables. What could go wrong. I know it's against general advice but I also do tend to agree with how hard can it be to create some cables? Interestingly on Autodoc they had cables for PFL and FL with different lengths and manufacturing months/years.

ABS is the brand of the rear drop links that I got from Autodoc, visually much the same as the OE links that I replaced.

Bossworld

Quote from: MrChris on July 31, 2022, 22:09Agreed, think I'm there!

As for cables, some places do not have the facelift cables in stock. Are all after market cables really that bad? There's a selection on Autodoc for example from a few manufacturers.

They're not as good as Toyota, I've been burned by experience.

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=65220.msg764884#msg764884

The ones currently fitted exhibit behaviour similar to what you've said (the equaliser pulls straighter than your description, but there's definitely less effort on one side).

Suspect my Mum's going to end up going for a pair of Toyota ones come the next MoT, which would mean 3 cable changes in 6 years.

Alex Knight

I've said before on other threads, but I used BluePrint cables back in 2017.

Zero issues since (correctly) fitting them. I park off road, and in gear, with the handbrake off 98% of the time.

Bossworld

Quote from: Alex Knight on August 10, 2022, 16:17I've said before on other threads, but I used BluePrint cables back in 2017.

Zero issues since (correctly) fitting them. I park off road, and in gear, with the handbrake off 98% of the time.

I suppose the flip side is that no one (to my knowledge) has reported issues after fitting replacement genuine ones. As more of the remaining MR2s on the road hit the 20 year mark, it seems likely more will need cables replacing.

Dick fitted both sets for me so I trust his skill and knowledge, I just didn't have the money for the Toyota cables at the time. Was definitely a mistake when I went for the first set (billed as being the same 1999-2006).

MrChris

Finally: MOT pass with no advisories. Celebratory top-down drive on the way back and a picture below why not.

And for those wondering about after-market handbrake cables. The ABS cables I ordered from Autodoc got me through this test. The clips they came with were a bit iffy but a combination of turning them around and/or re-using old clips did the trick.

Big thanks to all those that have provided advice and parts!

You cannot view this attachment.

Carolyn

Great to see the old girl with a new lease of life.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

tricky1138

Yeah, great to see her back on the road, and I'm sure you're happy she is too.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

MrChris

Quote from: Carolyn on September  5, 2022, 14:12Great to see the old girl with a new lease of life.

Quote from: tricky1138 on September  5, 2022, 14:50Yeah, great to see her back on the road, and I'm sure you're happy she is too.

Absolutely! Quite satisfying to get everything done myself. I very nearly chucked it at a garage to do the cables but glad I persevered. Shame that I couldn't get it finished in time for the nice weather as it seems we're now due a fair bit of rain for the next couple of weeks.

I had additional bolts fighting me throughout the cable replacement. But I've got confidence in the work I've done. Next thing is for a 4 wheel alignment given that I've had all the arms off at the back. Then time to enjoy it and see if I can fit in a track day to give it a proper shakedown (though this may wait till next year now due to time constraints).

shnazzle

Yay!
Very pleased it's up and running.
Credit to you Chris for sticking it out.
I dread to think how many times you cursed my name haha!

But I'm genuinely happy to see the ol beast being used again. 
...neutiquam erro.

MrChris

Quote from: shnazzle on September  5, 2022, 21:19Yay!
Very pleased it's up and running.
Credit to you Chris for sticking it out.
I dread to think how many times you cursed my name haha!

But I'm genuinely happy to see the ol beast being used again.

Hah, not at all, while it has been a little more work than expected it's certainly kept me occupied and taught me loads. I feel like I've done the worst jobs on the 2 now, which kind of feels good! Drives pretty well and is a joy to get in to after being in our electric Kona.

MrChris

Small update:

Four wheel Hunter alignment done. They found a 'nub' missing on the subframe on one side of the adjuster bolts. I think it rusted through but they managed to get a good alignment.

Adjusted the coilivers, the car is pretty firm! Handles amazingly well though.

Bought a new radiator but the one in there looks pretty good so I don't think it's worth changing.

Last but not least: Bedford autodrome booked for the end of the month. Will get some pics up here after.

shnazzle

Quote from: MrChris on September  9, 2022, 15:49Small update:

Four wheel Hunter alignment done. They found a 'nub' missing on the subframe on one side of the adjuster bolts. I think it rusted through but they managed to get a good alignment.

Adjusted the coilivers, the car is pretty firm! Handles amazingly well though.

Bought a new radiator but the one in there looks pretty good so I don't think it's worth changing.

Last but not least: Bedford autodrome booked for the end of the month. Will get some pics up here after.
Looking forward to seeing its first track outing.
You're treating the car better than I did. Kudos and bravo.
Couldn't have sold it to a better person. You could probably have bought it from a better person but hey ho LOL

Certainly curious about what "nub" on the subframe would have anything to do with alignment.
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on September  9, 2022, 17:23Looking forward to seeing its first track outing.
Couldn't have sold it to a better person. You could probably have bought it from a better person but hey ho LOL

Certainly curious about what "nub" on the subframe would have anything to do with alignment.
There's a small protrusion on the subframe either side of the cam plates that gives the lateral movement on the arm.
When you turn the nut/bolt the cam plate works against the "nubs", a technical tap will also work but be more awkward to get precision.😂
60% of the time it works everytime...

shnazzle

Quote from: Call the midlife! on September  9, 2022, 17:30There's a small protrusion on the subframe either side of the cam plates that gives the lateral movement on the arm.
When you turn the nut/bolt the cam plate works against the "nubs", a technical tap will also work but be more awkward to get precision.😂
Ah yes! I can picture them 
...neutiquam erro.

MrChris

Quote from: shnazzle on September  9, 2022, 17:23Looking forward to seeing its first track outing.

Thanks! To be honest I had the impression that you had treated it well! The engine seems strong and have been out in it again today. I think the only real problem is that it was pretty crusty in places, though that's now sorted.

shnazzle

Quote from: MrChris on September  9, 2022, 21:01Thanks! To be honest I had the impression that you had treated it well! The engine seems strong and have been out in it again today. I think the only real problem is that it was pretty crusty in places, though that's now sorted.
80% of its life it was pampered.
Fuchs Titan oil every 6k, new filters and plugs and run on vpower pretty much exclusively.
So in that sense, yeah it was treated very well. But as you said, the bodywork became secondary. Which is funny as the first few years I had that thing gleaming constantly. Polished, waxed, sealed. 
After some time of blasting b-roads the bumper and bonnet became more and more pebble-dashed and washing/polishing became a bit of a "polishing a turd" exercise.
The custom interior (which you didn't get of course) brought back a lot of its glory. But by that time the suspension and bodywork were getting tired, and my tinkering left some errr..lasting marks.
It got a new subframe, interior, radio, suspension, exhaust, wheels, bracing, exterior styling, and ecu tinkering so it definitely had a LOT spent on it over the years. But it was genuinely used, and used hard, and loved. I absolutely adored that car. It was a huge part of my life and my sanity.
I'll always remember it fondly. Which is why I'm so pleased to see it "resurrected".
Why sell then? That car was pretty much me. I was me when I was in it and it felt like home. It brought comfort, a smile on a shit day.
But that faded. Then lockdown hit and it never left the drive. I found comfort in other things and the car was just sitting there reminding me of what was, but will never be again.

:) there go you. A tale of my car for the history books haha
Not asked for, or wanted, but provided anyway 
...neutiquam erro.

MrChris

I love that history about it, although did you just call my 2 a "turd"?  ;)

Given this is mainly a track toy I'm not bothered about the panels, though they were far, far better than I was expecting. The underside will just need looking at now and then, and somehow the suspension is still okay. I even think I might get away with refreshing the bearings and it'll carry on.

But yes, great to hear about it's history (and there's obviously plenty more on the forum too). Do you still have a 2 or have you got rid of that one as well? If so, surely you'll be back to a 2...?? I was thinking the other day, for something I can throw round a track without worrying about it, that is mid engined and rear wheel drive, what else comes close to a 2 for the price?

shnazzle

Quote from: MrChris on September 10, 2022, 00:04I love that history about it, although did you just call my 2 a "turd"?  ;)
Haha! I never thought of it that way. I do apologise! A turf it is not

Quote from: MrChris on September 10, 2022, 00:04...  not bothered about the panels, though they were far, far better than I was expecting.
Maybe I was just picky. I actually found some pics of it yesterday from years ago and the panels were like mirrors. That was the standard. Not really feasible to be kept that way the way it was driven on b-roads and as a daily.

Quote from: MrChris on September 10, 2022, 00:04... and somehow the suspension is still okay.
I'm equally shocked. I was sure they were done.

Quote from: MrChris on September 10, 2022, 00:04Do you still have a 2 or have you got rid of that one as well? If so, surely you'll be back to a 2...?? I was thinking the other day, for something I can throw round a track without worrying about it, that is mid engined and rear wheel drive, what else comes close to a 2 for the price?
No more 2s in this household at the minute sadly. Needs must.
Better times will come and then who knows. It's a gorgeous platform with an unbeatable value money. And it's very close to my heart.
...neutiquam erro.

puma2

:) keep going love the history of this 2 and all the love and work done it 8)
its a great feeling when big jobs are done a mot pass then a big happy drive afterwards 8)

keep at and most important enjoy it 8) 

MrChris

Small update prior to track day 1:

Couldn't stop thinking that the rear springs could snap easily. So off they came and new ones installed, fresh from BC Racing this time. It seems I'm taking the "Trigger's broom" approach to my suspension, as I tested the rear shockers and they are also good. So I've ordered new top mounts and pillow ball bearings for the front as well.

And of course, I had to cut off the old drop links because this 2 loves to fight me on absolutely everything. Big shout out to TCB for supplying these next day delivery!

So with all that out the way, this car better perform faultlessly all day.

Carolyn

Everybody gets to cut rear drop links off.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

shnazzle

Quote from: Carolyn on September 23, 2022, 17:33Everybody gets to cut rear drop links off.
I never did across 3 mr2s  ;) 
...neutiquam erro.

MrChris

It's getting colder, it's getting wetter but the weather held out for my first track day in this 2 at Bedford Autodrome yesterday.

The track started out fairly damp and the 2 was squirming about on the sighting laps. Soon after, the sun started to shine (a bit) and cars going round started drying the track out. I started off fairly gingerly given I have never driven a 2 on track, but by the end of the day I was utterly abusing the poor thing. It's so much fun and has so much grip. Adjusting the coilovers towards 'hard' made a huge difference in the handling. I ended up 8 clicks from hard (front) and 12 clicks from hard (rear) and probably could have gone further with this. The LSD in the 2 is a revelation having previously done track days with my 130i (with no LSD).

The owner of the blue 2 said he had been a fairly diehard Mk1 / Mk2 fan and "hated" the Mk3, but bought one for his Mrs as a runabout. He started driving the Mk3 and found he loved it due to the handling so had brought it out on track.

This picture I may have to remove, but this corner before the main straight was a lot of fun. By the end of the day I was drifting the 2 round this corner, holding on the limit and powering through to the straight. This was a huge amount of fun.

The car took the punishment all day like a champ, morning, afternoon and 2 full tanks of fuel. The only problems were fuel starvation at the end of the day where I didn't realise the fuel had got so low, a sharp right-hander sloshed it all away from the fuel pump. The other thing was the brake pedal wasn't engaging the brakes until it had nearly hit the floor. Not sure if this is air in the system or the brake fluid boiling (though it had RBF600 in it).

I'll be assessing the car more fully at the weekend and checking over the brakes etc. But in summary: it is such a fun car, highly recommended!

And finally: huge thanks again to everyone on the forum that's helped, suggested, advised, sent parts, I will certainly "pay it forward" where I can.

shnazzle

...neutiquam erro.

Tags: