Better than jack stands- mid rise lift options?

Started by jvanzyl, March 22, 2022, 19:48

jvanzyl

So I would like to be able to work on the MR2 easily as well as the other family cars and honestly am investigating what options there are for home garage car lifts.

I'm not looking to be able to have a stroll underneath, but something that I can drive the vehicle onto and in a couple minutes be able to investigate or start work.

I've seen the quickjack system, that looks reasonable... the heaviest car we have is the campervan coming in at about 2500kgs so it would be ideal if it could lift that, but if it were waaaay cheaper and could only do the MR2 then fair enough.

I've been looking on eBay and there are the occasional "portable" mid rise lifts.. and then loads of 4 or 2 post ones, none of which would work due to height and just not being able to transport the things and I've no idea how to service or maintain them..

Interested in what everyone else is doing or would like to do? 

shnazzle

Saw an ad for Halfords the other day. They do a scissor lift up to 2.5ton. Not cheap, but I think when you're talking lifts...

If you can find one; Maxjax looks amazing 
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Realistically how high could you lift the campervan in the garage anyway for it to be worth putting in the equation?
60% of the time it works everytime...

Ardent

Quote from: jvanzyl on March 22, 2022, 19:48quickjack system
I have found myself looking here on an alcohol fueled late Friday night.
Would more that suit my needs wants.

jvanzyl

Quote from: Call the midlife! on March 22, 2022, 20:37Realistically how high could you lift the campervan in the garage anyway for it to be worth putting in the equation?

Ah that's a good point.. it's 2.1m high as is! Shall have to measure... if not to cope with the van it'll still need to cope with the Alhambra 

Alex Knight

I'm getting a scissorlift in the new garage. Seems to be the best thing this side of a 2-poster.

jvanzyl

Quote from: Alex Knight on March 22, 2022, 22:08I'm getting a scissorlift in the new garage. Seems to be the best thing this side of a 2-poster.

Which one you going for?

Alex Knight

Quote from: jvanzyl on March 23, 2022, 09:55Which one you going for?

Haven't decided yet, they all seem quite similar.

Chilli Girl

@jonbill has a scissor lift - brilliant little thing.  There was a pic of it on here somewhere?
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

jvanzyl

Quote from: Alex Knight on March 23, 2022, 11:28Haven't decided yet, they all seem quite similar.

This is my dilemma... they cost between 900 (quick Jack) and 1800.. I'm sure they can't be the same quality etc

Joesson

Quote from: Alex Knight on March 22, 2022, 22:08I'm getting a scissorlift in the new garage. Seems to be the best thing this side of a 2-poster.

Remember that with a scissor lift the car is on it's wheels/ tyres, so the scissor lift is OK for access across the car between the wheels, but not the best for under arch work.

PS

Times move on !  A short scissor , likely a double scissor lift that can fit  inside the longitudinal wheel base will allow access to the arches, as @shnazzle correctly observes below.

shnazzle

Quote from: Joesson on March 23, 2022, 15:58Remember that with a scissor lift the car is on it's wheels/ tyres, so the scissor lift is OK for access across the car between the wheels, but not the best for under arch work.

PS

Times move on !  A short scissor , likely a double scissor lift that can fit  inside the longitudinal wheel base will allow access to the arches.
I was under the impression most of the scissor lifts lifted by the frame, not the wheels.

Edit: having just Googled it, it does indeed seem to be the case that the majority of them lift via the jack points. This would allow for arch work. Great for brakes etc
...neutiquam erro.

Joesson

Just had a look at some of the lifts on offer.
As mentioned at the beginning of this thread if you don't "want to stroll underneath it" then the option is that you would be on your back/ on a crawler and then the underside of the car could be too high to work on!
Edit.
Of course the lift can be lowered to, a convenient height for working on your back/ on a crawler. But how is that different to working with the car on axle stands?

NB
Whatever system of lift remember to engage some sort of mechanical stop to prevent any unwanted downward motion when working under an elevated load.
Do not rely on hydraulic lifting systems being fail safe.
They are not.

Joesson

Quote from: shnazzle on March 22, 2022, 20:22Saw an ad for Halfords the other day. They do a scissor lift up to 2.5ton. Not cheap, but I think when you're talking lifts...

If you can find one; Maxjax looks amazing

The Maxjax does look the business.
Having just read the installation instructions I note that the requirements of the concrete floor are unlikely those to be found in an "average" domestic garage.
There attention to detail does leave something to be desired though:
Minimum concrete base thickness 4.25 inches.
Minimum drilling depth for anchor bolts 5 inches with a note to be sure not to drill through the concrete!

Alex Knight

FYI, we are having a 150mm concrete base poured for the lift location.

General consensus says that 100mm is the minimum, but 150mm is better.

Joesson

Quote from: Alex Knight on March 23, 2022, 17:24FYI, we are having a 150mm concrete base poured for the lift location.

General consensus says that 100mm is the minimum, but 150mm is better.

Sounds like a good job in progress.

jvanzyl

Oddshoes

Dude check out equipment for garages they are based near at Alban's there's one I used to want from them but now I fancy the a frames from CJ autos
2001 Turbocharged MR-S in Gulf Racing Colours... with goodies from Cusco, Damd, Top Secret, Monkey Wrench Racing, TRD, Lenso and running 264bhp@ 10psi... TBC

MR2 Owner since 2006.

Oddshoes

2001 Turbocharged MR-S in Gulf Racing Colours... with goodies from Cusco, Damd, Top Secret, Monkey Wrench Racing, TRD, Lenso and running 264bhp@ 10psi... TBC

MR2 Owner since 2006.

rusty0273

I always find Costco stuff is good quality and their customer policies if there are any issues, excellent.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Tyres-Automotive/Garage/Trolley-Jacks-Axle-Stands/QuickJack-Portable-Automatic-Car-Lift-System-Jack-1587kg-Capacity-Model-BL-3500SLX/p/315646

No personal experience of this lift but in case you've not checked it.

jvanzyl

Quote from: Oddshoes on March 29, 2022, 20:05Dude check out equipment for garages they are based near at Alban's there's one I used to want from them but now I fancy the a frames from CJ autos

These guys are pretty cheap! I'm assuming kwik lift is a knock off of quick jack? but lifting 3.5T for under £1k is very cheap..

jvanzyl

Quote from: rusty0273 on March 29, 2022, 22:02I always find Costco stuff is good quality and their customer policies if there are any issues, excellent.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Tyres-Automotive/Garage/Trolley-Jacks-Axle-Stands/QuickJack-Portable-Automatic-Car-Lift-System-Jack-1587kg-Capacity-Model-BL-3500SLX/p/315646

No personal experience of this lift but in case you've not checked it.

Yes Costco is definitely the cheapest for the quickjack system..

jvanzyl

Right- I'm likely going down this route:
https://www.garageequipment.co.uk/Vehicle-Lifts/Scissor-Lifts/Kwik%20Lifts%20and%20Accessories/e4g-kl3500AC-portable-kwik-lift-ac220v

If I add the extension plates it should be able to lift the California and so I can increase the jobs I can do myself and safely.

Ardent

Is everyone else on that site? Not loading up for me spinning but nowt else

fawtytoo

Quote from: Ardent on August 30, 2022, 19:41Is everyone else on that site? Not loading up for me spinning but nowt else
Works fine for me.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Tags: