Dash lights - need help!

Started by adt, April 13, 2022, 21:38

adt

Hi all, first post since getting my lovely black pfl a couple of weeks ago, was hoping it'd be something better than this but here goes...

Noticed driving home the dash cluster lights were dim with a couple of obviously blown bulbs, so decided to replace with LEDs to brighten it up.

I since found the post about not using LEDs here and have switched to incandescent bulbs, but too late!

While swapping the LEDs in, something broke and I now have no dash illumination at all.

Gauges all still work as do warning lights. When I put the lights on, all front and rear exterior lights work, as does the illumination behind the fan controls. The clock and the radio both dim too. Interior courtesy light works, and indicator lights on the dash work.

Things I have tried, all of which had no impact:

- swapped initial set of LEDs for a second set

- swapped all LEDs (apart from indicator lights) for 2.3w incandescent bulbs

- Replaced every fuse in the left hand dash fuse box (all old ones tested ok afterwards anyway)

- tried looping the potentiometer wiring to take that out the circuit

- reflowed the solder on all the plug joints to the PCB in the cluster

All I can think of now is that there is a blown component somewhere on the PCB, or that there's a break in the loom somewhere.

What have missed? Is there anything else I could try before having to replace the whole cluster or rigging up some extra wiring behind the dash??

Thanks in advance all, apart from this loving the car so far and got lots of upgrades in mind. Just wish I could drive it at night haha.

Sent from my XQ-AS52 using Tapatalk

Ardent

Hello and welcome.

Sadly, for you, I'm the least qualified to advise or assist in your predicament.

But welcome all the same  some more knowledgeable types dill be along in due course

puma2

:)  now that is a welcome  :)
hello that is a bit of problem :'(  :'(

hopefully  as said someone soon will offer some guidance  :)

normanh

Do you know about the dash dimmer switch, that could have been set to a low light making you think there was a problem in the first place?

Norman

Gaz mr-s

I don't think this will be the answer, but if yours is a manual gearbox, there is an empty socket that is only used for SMT equipped cars. If a bulb is put in there it causes problems.

There isn't any problem using LED's. It's probably possible to have the wrong type....?

adt

Quote from: normanh on April 14, 2022, 08:32Do you know about the dash dimmer switch, that could have been set to a low light making you think there was a problem in the first place?

Norman
Yah sadly that's been ruled out, it was working on the few dim bulbs that the car had when I bought it, and with it removed from the circuit made no difference (unplugged and looped the connection)

adt

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on April 14, 2022, 09:51I don't think this will be the answer, but if yours is a manual gearbox, there is an empty socket that is only used for SMT equipped cars. If a bulb is put in there it causes problems.

There isn't any problem using LED's. It's probably possible to have the wrong type....?
That I did not know - I do have a manual, and thought it was just an empty slot so I did fill it. Just charging the battery to rule out any power fluctuations too so will remove that one and give it a go in a bit, thanks.

adt

Sadly removing the SMT bulb had no effect.

Someone on another forum suggested the higher watts bulbs I have might be the issue, but removed half of them to get back to stock energy consumption roughly and still nothing.

I tried with two lots of LEDs prior to this, first the usual 5mm ones which look like bulbs, then with the flat SMD ones. Made no difference.

Went back to bulbs as both LED options (prior to total failure) had too many shady patches, not enough diffused light to cover the whole cluster.

Anyone got any more suggestions? Or even a wiring diagram to help me trace the circuit?

Carolyn

I'd just call J-spec and get another instrument cluster.  Won't cost much.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Gaz mr-s

Can you clarify....some bulb positions are working?

I very much doubt there is a wiring diagram available.

If you do need to replace the circuit board beware the odometer is fed from a chip on the board.

Call the midlife!

The green book says panel fuse no.23 7.5a in the glove box (I know you said you checked them, I'm just confirming what the BGB says).
It also says check the operation and continuity of the light control switch (hi/low beam etc).
And to meter the system.
If you want to pm me an email address or similar I can send you a couple of photos of the wiring diagrams but I can't post them here. (And I can't work out how to add them to pms...🤓)
60% of the time it works everytime...

adt

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on April 14, 2022, 19:05Can you clarify....some bulb positions are working?

I very much doubt there is a wiring diagram available.

If you do need to replace the circuit board beware the odometer is fed from a chip on the board.
They were working, but only while changing to LEDs the first time. I got halfway through replacing them before all cut out. Prior to that some were working.

adt

Any idea if the mileage can be transferred if I went the replacement route?? Replacing the PCB sounds illegal if it cannot be...  Either that or I have to deal with the DVLA :-(

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: adt on April 14, 2022, 23:10Any idea if the mileage can be transferred if I went the replacement route?? Replacing the PCB sounds illegal if it cannot be...  Either that or I have to deal with the DVLA :-(

The chip can be unsoldered & swapped.  There are places that can change the mileage, but it's hassle & more expensive.

Tags: