Whiteline ARB drop link thread length

Started by BARNPOT2000, May 3, 2022, 14:16

BARNPOT2000

As people may know some drop links do not have a long enough thread to accommodate the thicker Whiteline ARBs and the Nylock nut will not engage fully to the nylon section. I have this issue, and although there is another post that discussed the issue there was no mention of reducing the thickness of the ARB flat where the drop links attaches, as a possible solution. Is this a reasonable way to overcome the problem? The ARB still has the upsized diameter and the fixing point thickness of the flat section would be no less than the original oem bars. All thoughts appreciated. I was tempted to overcome the problem in this way but thought I had better consult the wealth of knowledge here before I get the grinder out.
TF099 silver

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Anon on May  3, 2022, 14:21I have turned the nuts down a bit, it only took about 2mm removed from the non-nyloc face, and now the nyloc just engages. I though about thinning the roll bar down, but it seemed a bit of a backwards way of going about it.
Thanks, yes , I might go with that, as long as it doesn't reduce the thread length too much. I shall look closely and see how much would need to come off the nut on my drop link set up.
TF099 silver

Petrus

Drop links....

8)

Sorry, Dutch joke....

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Petrus on May  3, 2022, 18:54Drop links....

8)

Sorry, Dutch joke....
Liquorice maybe  ?? Sorry, you lost me here  ::)
TF099 silver

Petrus

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on May  3, 2022, 20:14Liquorice maybe  ?? Sorry, you lost me here  ::)

Drop indeed is liquorice in Dutch and these ´sleuteldrop´  kinda lookalike even  ;)

Concerning your question there is a quite extensive and imo interesting thread on this with several solutions:

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=70714.msg846974#msg846974

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Petrus on May  3, 2022, 21:17Drop indeed is liquorice in Dutch and these ´sleuteldrop´  kinda lookalike even  ;)

Concerning your question there is a quite extensive and imo interesting thread on this with several solutions:

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=70714.msg846974#msg846974
Thanks, yes studied that thread. I think the grinding down the nut option might be the best one. Drop links with longer threads are ideal but quite costly...
TF099 silver

Petrus

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on May  3, 2022, 22:41Thanks, yes studied that thread. I think the grinding down the nut option might be the best one. Drop links with longer threads are ideal but quite costly...

So, use a normal nut and Loctite like I did. Gives thread for fitting and locking for keeping it fitted.

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Petrus on May  3, 2022, 23:32So, use a normal nut and Loctite like I did. Gives thread for fitting and locking for keeping it fitted.
I might just do that, having a closer look today 👍.
TF099 silver

Gaz mr-s

I read a bit of this yesterday & thought 'nyloc half-nuts'.   I looked on ebay, - readily available in Imperial but not metric...🤔 ??

I've read that some MOT testers will pick up on not seeing the threads through a nut. I'd either use a loctited half-nut or grind down the nyloc & add loctite to it. Thinner washer too?

Petrus

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on May  4, 2022, 10:10I read a bit of this yesterday & thought 'nyloc half-nuts'.   I looked on ebay, - readily available in Imperial but not metric...🤔 ??

I've read that some MOT testers will pick up on not seeing the threads through a nut. I'd either use a loctited half-nut or grind down the nyloc & add loctite to it. Thinner washer too?

The problem with a nylock half nut is that it has half the thread. Now, the primary function of the nut is fíxing the link to the arb end. The washer is not needed.

Joesson

Quote from: Petrus on May  4, 2022, 11:24The problem with a nylock half nut is that it has half the thread. Now, the primary function of the nut is fíxing the link to the arb end. The washer is not needed.

I'm a bit late to the party and I am on record as saying "I like washers".
But, not considered thus far in this discussion is the flanged nut, more particularly a serrated flanged nut.
A standard M10 nut is typically around 9mm thick, M10 Nyloc nut around  11.5 overall height, whereas a serrated flanged nut is around 10mm
thick.
Such a flanged nut  increases the surface contact area to that of a washer, the serrations provide a grip factor similar to a lock washer while  maintaining length of thread engagement within a compact overall height.
Such nuts are readily eg, at Screwfix, or fastening suppliers in your area.

Beachbum957

Some aftermarket drop links like Moog come with serrated flange nuts. So far, they have worked very well with a Whiteline front bar.

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Petrus on May  4, 2022, 11:24The problem with a nylock half nut is that it has half the thread. Now, the primary function of the nut is fíxing the link to the arb end. The washer is not needed.
Just a quick update, I tried to cut down the nut to allow the thread to penetrate further but I was not happy with the result as it just didn't look right if you know what I mean. Decided to go to spring loaded who were very helpful and supplied the bits that are just the ticket, no affiliation but highly recommend them...

https://www.spring-loaded.co.uk/categories.php?cat=Featured+Cars+-+Toyota
TF099 silver

Tags: