Fully re programmable Toyota OEM ECU for the MR2 1ZZ to allow remapping etc

Started by threepot, May 15, 2022, 11:09

Call the midlife!

Quote from: MrT on June  6, 2022, 07:39Oh I meant to ask, the MR2 doesn't have a knock sensor does it?.I've just swapped my engine and am sure I didn't connect anything resembling one on the block, unless I totally missed it thanks to a remote plug location. Is it behind/under the intake manifold?

Or is this a retrofit thanks to the Corolla ECU and an opportunity for finer tuning?
On the front of the block, under the intake manifold, it has a small extension loom from the sensor so you've either missed it (good luck connecting it if you have 😂) or connected the extension loom up without realising what it leads to.
60% of the time it works everytime...

threepot

I unplugged, then replugged my original knock sensor back in, in situe. And it is a very very tight pain in the backside! I regretted unplugging when I tried to replug it back it  :))

My new 2 wire knock sensor that I added is off a Yaris, and I bolted it into a free threaded hole lower than the alternator, seems to work fine there.

Thus the Rev 2 pcb has an external connector, so the knock sensor can be added without disturbing the original one, as 95% of people will find unplugging/plugging the original sensor basically impossible.

MrT

Thanks Petrus. Hidden under the intake on an extended loom... Good to know it's there though.

@threepot what is the significance of you mentioning a 2 wire knock sensor?.I assume that refers to the zzw30 sensor, is it different to the Corolla sensor then? Or some sort of improvement? I figure your conversion must retain all zzw30 sensors to be plug and play right?

Edit: I missed the new page posts, sorry... So how does the 2 wire knock sensor connect to the zzw30 wiring loom? And why might it be better?.just ground/signal accuracy?
Cheers
Tyler

RIPieces: Sable \'05 Roadster \'Red\' edition.
Project: MR-S import (JDM) now my toy and mule for:
SC build OR a 2AR-FXE swap (ref: Frankenstein Motorworks) OR Electric conversion
AND rebody with a fibreglass replica of Porsche 550 Spyder.

threepot

Earler Toyota products had a 1 wire knock sensor, the engine block was the ground wire.

Later Toyota products have a 2 wire knock sensor like a typical microphone (this is what a knock sensor is), running a 2 wire setup reduces signal noise so the sensitivity is improved.

The 1 wire and 2 wire senors are not interchangeable because they are fundamentally different in their internal construction.

Thus, when swapping to the Corolla ECU, a new shielded 2 wire cable must be run from the ECU to the new knock sensor.

The original sensor and wiring does not need to be touched at all.

MrT

Hi @threepot
I had a thought and wanted to ask can this Corolla ECU run cruise control and fly-by-wire throttle (i.e. SMT throttle body)? I'd love to have cruise control and if I were having the car mapped etc I'm sure the SMT throttle could be used to give better engine control etc.
Thanks

Any updates on the project also?

Cheers
Tyler

Cheers
Tyler

RIPieces: Sable \'05 Roadster \'Red\' edition.
Project: MR-S import (JDM) now my toy and mule for:
SC build OR a 2AR-FXE swap (ref: Frankenstein Motorworks) OR Electric conversion
AND rebody with a fibreglass replica of Porsche 550 Spyder.

threepot

2zz project car has completely swallowed me, and my 1zz car is going to get sold off over the next couple of months. I doubt I'll ever go back to this project, but I will share everything I did so if someone fancies carrying the torch they are free and welcome.