Exhaust off for sub frame removal?

Started by BARNPOT2000, May 15, 2022, 11:44

Ardent

No doubt all our 2s will be mildly different on some level, but as an opener this was mine when I left wheels in motion.
You cannot view this attachment.

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Ardent on June 11, 2022, 22:37No doubt all our 2s will be mildly different on some level, but as an opener this was mine when I left wheels in motion.
Thanks for uploading that sheet Ardent. I'm assuming the target settings are the standard settings/tolerances for the roadster, and the actual figures are how close they got to achieving those figures? Or have they chosen to deviate from the standard settings anywhere here please ?
TF099 silver

Ardent

More the latter.
Their B road setting. Or at least a bias towards it.

BARNPOT2000

The car is booked in for alignment in a couple of days so fingers crossed they get it sorted 🤞. Thanks to all for their input and advice as always 👍😎.
TF099 silver

Ardent

BARNPOT2000

Quick update... The garage completed the alignment and sent photos of before and after settings. Here are the settings they achieved. I did query the rear offside camber as it is still showing in red but I was told that there is no camber adjustment possible on the rear. Only had a short drive since the setup and it seems to be driving very well.
TF099 silver

J88TEO

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: J88TEO on June 15, 2022, 09:21adjustable camber bolts?
Can these be purchased for the rear? Maybe something for those who use the cars on track, probably not worth it for general road use I guess?
TF099 silver

BARNPOT2000

Just a quick sideshot after fitting new Kyb shocks and Tein 30mm lowering springs. I thought someone who might be considering installing these might like to see the effect it has. The wheels seem to fill the wheel arches much better now and the ride is great, not too harsh, just right for me anyway. The wheel sizes are... front 185/55R15 and rear... 205/45R16.Tyres will be changed for better ones at some point but they have too much tread to warrant that atm 😊👍😎.

TF099 silver

J88TEO

J88TEO

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on June 15, 2022, 14:37Can these be purchased for the rear? Maybe something for those who use the cars on track, probably not worth it for general road use I guess?
Not too sure...

Joesson

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on June 15, 2022, 14:37Can these be purchased for the rear? Maybe something for those who use the cars on track, probably not worth it for general road use I guess?

Certainly. A plethora of such can be found on the www.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=2002+toyota+mr2+adjustable+rear+camber+bolts&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

Other model years can likely apply.

BARNPOT2000

Lots of camber bolts out there, and not expensive, but are they worth getting? The original set up didn't require them and so I wonder if using a car on our roads only and not on track if they give much advantage?
TF099 silver

J88TEO

I suppose if the rear camber is way out then perfectly OK to use to correct it.

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: J88TEO on June 16, 2022, 08:21I suppose if the rear camber is way out then perfectly OK to use to correct it.
Do you think my offside rear camber is out enough to warrant further adjustment?
TF099 silver

J88TEO

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on June 16, 2022, 09:13Do you think my offside rear camber is out enough to warrant further adjustment?
I think your rear right tyre will wear on the inside more than the left. I would get this sorted.

Beachbum957

There is a certain amount of play in the lower mounts, and even a tiny bit in the upper strut mount, and in most cars a couple tenths of a degree of possible adjustment. This is important on a MR2 with lowering springs, as the camber will go more negative when lowered.  But a car with no damage or wear issues should still be within factory specs with springs like Tein.  Our MR2 with Tein springs could be adjusted just enough without camber bolts to stay in the factory tolerances and get both sides nearly identical. Your left side cambers F&R are almost exactly what we got on our lowered MR2. 

Some alignments shops see "camber is not adjustable" and don't even try. Many are not accustomed to working on a car with lowering springs, or any performance car.  A local race shop that does very detailed alignments advised they always quoted the cost of camber bolts when doing alignment on a lowered car or any with a modified suspension, even if there is enough play to get in spec and they don't need them.

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Beachbum957 on June 16, 2022, 11:42There is a certain amount of play in the lower mounts, and even a tiny bit in the upper strut mount, and in most cars a couple tenths of a degree of possible adjustment. This is important on a MR2 with lowering springs, as the camber will go more negative when lowered.  But a car with no damage or wear issues should still be within factory specs with springs like Tein.  Our MR2 with Tein springs could be adjusted just enough without camber bolts to stay in the factory tolerances and get both sides nearly identical. Your left side cambers F&R are almost exactly what we got on our lowered MR2. 

Some alignments shops see "camber is not adjustable" and don't even try. Many are not accustomed to working on a car with lowering springs, or any performance car.  A local race shop that does very detailed alignments advised they always quoted the cost of camber bolts when doing alignment on a lowered car or any with a modified suspension, even if there is enough play to get in spec and they don't need them.
I'm sure you'd right the guy I used was recommended by a neighbour but I didn't get the impression he did anything but what the machine said and he hadn't done an alignment on an Mr2 mk3 before. I need to find a garage that can tweek my rear 😂.
TF099 silver

Ardent

Like I said it is down to the technician to extract the best out of it.

I used wheels in motion in but sadly the guy behind it has passed away so is it as good? I don't know.

Ardent

Depending where you are.

https://centergravity.co.uk/

Not tried them. So not a recommendation

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Ardent on June 16, 2022, 19:58Depending where you are.

https://centergravity.co.uk/

Not tried them. So not a recommendation

Thanks Ardent, I'm a bit remote out here in Norfolk. Need to locate someone similar to centre gravity but within striking distance.
TF099 silver

Joesson

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on June 16, 2022, 22:54Thanks Ardent, I'm a bit remote out here in Norfolk. Need to locate someone similar to centre gravity but within striking distance.

How about:
https://www.strservicecentre.co.uk/4-wheel-alignment/

As Ardent,, not tried them, just used the www.

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Joesson on June 17, 2022, 10:21How about:
https://www.strservicecentre.co.uk/4-wheel-alignment/

As Ardent,, not tried them, just used the www.
Thanks Joesson, lots of garages out there but nothing caught my eye, but STR I hadn't spotted, they look like they might be worth a shot, and pricing looks reasonable, cheers 😎👍.
TF099 silver

Beachbum957

You want to measure camber with the wheel on the ground and the car loaded.  Measuring at the rotor does not seem useful. Plus it only seems to measure in full degrees, again not useful.

We use a magnetic digital level that measures in a tenth of a degree with a simple angle bracket. The floor must be perfectly level where the car sits.  We set camber with this and then had it checked on a fancy alignment rig, and they matched

Tags: