Red lights district

Started by Petrus, May 20, 2022, 07:33

Petrus

This morning under way to periodic inspection. Halfway, brake warning light and alternator warning light both flash on. Flash out, and on. Voltmeter shoots to 15V than 13.4 than 14.2 again.
Checked handbrake but fully down.
Stopped first opportunity. Switched off and on. Both still red.
Checked fluid level and was max.
Pulled off and... both go out.
Continued and both on again. Turned back and under way the alternator one went off again, so only brake warning on.
Back home and I mean arriving AT THE DOOR both off again. Turn engine off, restart both on....
Cancelled inspection but now what??!!

Is there a relation between brake light warning and alternator ditto?

Anyone have a lightbulb moment?? @Carolyn? Fingers crossed.

Ardent

Vaguely recall something similar being mentioned. Think ended up with replacing alternater.

But as usual start with checking good earths.

JB21

Alternator on its way out plays havoc with all the electrics in the MR2.

Petrus

Was thinking in same direction but still don´t get why a brake warning should relate to the alternator. Even weird should have a logical reason like the alternator bone´s connected to the brake light bone or sómething.

Right checking earth connection, alternator connections...

If it should be a bad alternator it is a weird coincidence that I´ve just ordered a lightweight one.
Also if it is not the alternator, better now than after fitting the lightweight one...

Alex Knight

100% alternator is about to fail.

Very common on most cars to display lots of warning lights when this happens.

Replace your alternator ASAP, or it will fail on you.

Petrus

Thanks blokes. Sigh.

Anyway, ´good´ coincidence.
The replacement should be here over the weekend.

Fingers crossed it is the culprit. Still in sóme doubt because the voltage meter shows 14.2V.

Mollydog

If you think it might be the alternator playing up, I bought this tester here in the UK from Lidl for under a fiver

https://youtu.be/34aVP0UA0uM

Tells you battery condition and if the alternator is charging OK, charging high or over charging, for the price worth getting if you're not sure its the alternator at fault

Petrus

Thanks @Mollydog

I have a voltage meter installed.
That is why it was so confusing.

Meanwhile found the issue. The plug on the alternator was not seated correctly. Now it is and problem gone. From the rear you look a cow in ass but .... looking back I could/shoúld have checked that underway  :-*   Ah well, made a new appointment.

Mollydog

nothing more satisfying than solving a problem and a bonus being a cheap solution

Petrus

Quote from: Mollydog on May 20, 2022, 15:41nothing more satisfying than solving a problem and a bonus being a cheap solution

Would have been nice if I had had my brain switched on  :-[
Just a pita more pita-ed by my semi-nomadic life.

Anyway the glass half full; yes, a free solution is still a free solution.

Ardent

Tags: