Axle stands

Started by TheTigerUK, May 24, 2022, 21:38

TheTigerUK

Were is the exact place to place axle stands ?

I know at the front and the rear of the sill there are the two small cut outs, do you rest behind them ? in front of them ? straddle them ? or on the seam ?

Thanks, perhaps a silly question but better safe than sorry :)
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Joesson

Quote from: TheTigerUK on May 24, 2022, 21:38Were is the exact place to place axle stands ?

I know at the front and the rear of the sill there are the two small cut outs, do you rest behind them ? in front of them ? straddle them ? or on the seam ?

Thanks, perhaps a silly question but better safe than sorry :)

The 50mm or so length of the vertical seam  between the cutouts in the vertical seam is the area for the jacking points for the Toyota jack or axle stands.
I pad the top of my stands with pieces of carpet folded back to back to present a soft surface to protect the paint.
For around six winter months of most years since I've had the car that is the position of my car in the garage.
I have not noticed any damage to the location area.
I typically raise the rear end first with a trolley jack under the middle engine mount , I have a shaped piece of hardwood to better locate the jack head and accomodate the bolt head that protrudes from the base of the mount. The stands are placed and the jack gently lowered, don't raise the jack too high to minimise the drop.
At the front end the jack is located under the front cross member, position indicated by the U shaped indent in the under tray.
I usually loosen and then nip up the wheel nuts before lifting the car to allow the wheels to be removed easily for any work needed.

PS. As the car is there for a long while, I sometimes write myself a note or leave something very obvious, such as the lock nut box , behind the steering wheel so that I cannot see the instruments to remind me to tighten/ torque the wheel nuts !

TheTigerUK

So just to be 100% sure you say and I agree but just checking  ;) locate the jack or stands on the seam and not the body either side of the seam ?

My son in law gave me his spare trolley jack but it was missing a nose piece so I knocked one up from some Acetal I had knocking about, this end piece will allow the seam to sit in the grove, I will make another piece for the front and rear jacking points.
I have now oiled the jack where needed and if he doesent ask for it back then I might give it a coat of paint.

Don't you just love retirement as it allows one to play ? :)

Call the midlife!

I use hockey pucks on the top of my axle stands which do allow some of the weight to transfer away from the seams but the majority of the weight rests on the seams. 
60% of the time it works everytime...

Topdownman

Yes, the seam is the strong point. Hockey pucks are often used by people but never having played hockey myself...

The problem comes when you want to jack from the side and then use an axle stand! In that case, best to jack from the middle to then use the space between the 2 notches for your axle stand.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Carolyn

One can also place the stands under suspension mounting points, front and rear.  Some times this is a better position for working on various jobs.  They are designed to take load and are very robust.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

gazza1286

Posted this some years ago. You may find it helpful

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=57532.0

TheTigerUK

Thanks all, even though the seam is the correct place it just feels wrong especially on a old car.

Tags: