Overhauling brake calipers

Started by Joesson, May 28, 2022, 13:32

Joesson

Having mentioned previously that I am in process of overhauling the calipers I found new NK (a Danish co) calipers, with 5 year guarantee, at £75 each and decided to buy, together with Borg and Beck hoses. They have arrived and been inspected by son in law and approved.
The fronts are stripped and wire brushed almost ready for painting which will be with Zinc primer and Can Brush heat resistant silver paint. These being the products I used on the manifold heat shield in around 2012, the paint is still there so why not repeat the process?!
Front seals and ancillary items are on order.
I've not worked on caliper seals previously, my past vehicle experience was with drum brake pistons and that was some time ago, when red rubber grease was the norm.
The cylinders that I experienced in my working life were somewhat bigger than those we have on a car, so I have looked on the www and noticed a plethora of ( hopefully) well intentioned advice, but many different ways off lubricating the seals in particular.
This has ranged from brake fluid, silicone grease and red rubber, also the method of installation for the dust seal is either - seal in cylinder groove, that seems to be the logical way as there is a retaining ring to insert, and then onto piston or vv. Only once have I seen mention of the retaining ring that goes into the major diameter of the seal but otherwise no mention of this.
So any suggestions about lubricant and methodology would be appreciated.

Tags: