Headlight sealer

Started by BARNPOT2000, June 11, 2022, 09:08

BARNPOT2000

After polishing up tarnished headlights, is standard spray painted lacquer a suitable sealant to protect the acrylic surface please?
TF099 silver

Topdownman

It does need to state that it has UV protection on the lacquer can so I think you would need to do some research and not just buy one from halfords....
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Joesson

@BARNPOT2000
Or you could have a look at Aerospace 303. Not as permanent as a lacquer but not prone to possible yellowing or peeling and it can also be use on the hood.

Topdownman

Quote from: Joesson on June 11, 2022, 09:54@BARNPOT2000
Or you could have a look at Aerospace 303. Not as permanent as a lacquer but not prone to possible yellowing or peeling and it can also be use on the hood.

And detailing the engine bay.....
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Joesson on June 11, 2022, 09:54@BARNPOT2000
Just had a quick look at the aerospace website and unsure which product is suitable for headlamps. Which one did you have in mind please?
TF099 silver

Joesson

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on June 11, 2022, 11:53Just had a quick look at the aerospace website and unsure which product is suitable for headlamps. Which one did you have in mind please?

They do have quite a selection of products don't they. Sorry!
This is the one that I use for the hood, @Topdownman suggests good for engine detailing, so multi purpose and I have applied it to my headlights but can't really comment on it's efficacy as my car lives most of it's life in my garage, out of the sun, but certainly nothing detrimental noticed.

https://www.303products.co.uk/shop/303-automotive-protectant/

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Joesson on June 11, 2022, 14:08They do have quite a selection of products don't they. Sorry!
This is the one that I use for the hood, @Topdownman suggests good for engine detailing, so multi purpose and I have applied it to my headlights but can't really comment on it's efficacy as my car lives most of it's life in my garage, out of the sun, but certainly nothing detrimental noticed.

https://www.303products.co.uk/shop/303-automotive-protectant/

Many thanks, I shall take your advice and try it 😎👍.
TF099 silver

Topdownman

Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Joesson

Quote from: Topdownman on June 11, 2022, 16:16This is the one I have;

https://www.303products.co.uk/shop/303-marine-aerospace-protectant/

I dont think we have helped much!

@BARNPOT2000

I felt sure they are the same product, but in the small print of the marine product:
Not for use on unfinished leathers (such as suede), fabrics (canvas), floorings, clear plastics, gauge panels, or headlights.

But then again in the small print of the Automotive product:
Not for use on unfinished leathers (such as suede), fabrics (canvas), floorings, clear plastics, gauge panels, or headlights.

If all else fails read the instructions!

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Joesson on June 11, 2022, 18:59@BARNPOT2000

I felt sure they are the same product, but in the small print of the marine product:
But then again in the small print of the Automotive product:

If all else fails read the instructions!
Maybe not suitable for clear plastic headlights after all.
😕

TF099 silver

Topdownman

Here are a couple of other products I have bought after recommendations;

I have tried the wax and not really sure if I could say if its working yet or not. I havent tried the K2 yet.

I did try lacquer on other headlights after polishing them but that yellowed and peeled (since heard that you should sand them and then lacquer so it can adhere).

Its a minefield!
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Gaz mr-s

I've been told 2k lacquer has uv protectant.  A tin I have doesn't say so though.

Joesson

My 2 is twenty years young, my daily eleven. Neither has terrible headlights, understandably the 2 is the least best. I have noticed, while walking about that all manner of vehicles are prone to deteriorating headlamp lenses. Recently a not too old BMW.
So what is it that accelerates the degradation, yes,UV, we know that .
My 2 lives in the garage my much more costly daily on the drive, but that is between two houses, protected at the front by the garage, light only from directly above and from behind. I park nose in.
So, perhaps trying to long term park relative to the sun could help?

ucb

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on June 12, 2022, 09:15I've been told 2k lacquer has uv protectant.  A tin I have doesn't say so though.

I put 2K lacquer on my headlights after a wet sanding rejuvenation as I had seen that it was UV resistant.
I still haven't managed to get the surface as polished as I'd like. Not sure if I have applied excessive amounts but it I suppose that's the most likely thing 

BARNPOT2000

My headlights were uneven in terms of yellowing. The o/s one is bright and clear but the n/s always looked different due to a slight yellow haze... annoying! I tried an off the shelf product which didn't have much effect and wasn't cheap to keep repeating. I then tried t-cut, metal polish and then toothpaste which all had minimal effect. The final product that certainly has made the difference and got rid of the yellow is that old magic "bi-carbonate of soda", wahaay 😁😁😁. I was persisting with the toothpaste, just what was in the house (Mrs B was out), and rummaged in the kitchen, then tried a little of the magic powder mixed in with the toothpaste, applied with a damp sponge pad on a drill. Finished off with a bit of t cut. I'm sure a toothpaste with bicarb in it would also work. Just need to seal them now. Oh, final tip if not removing the headlights, if trying the wet sponge on a drill application method, do it outside away from everything and cover the car in a dust sheet or similar or you may be removing toothpaste splatter for a long time 😂.
TF099 silver

Dev

I haven't used this product but I know of some that have. It might be available in your region or a product similar to it.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/keep-clear-headlight-coating

Machine polishing is far faster and better. I have heard once you take off too much material it makes it worse. Sanding the headlight with those restore kits is far too aggressive and not necessary.

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Dev on July  6, 2022, 14:16I haven't used this product but I know of some that have. It might be available in your region or a product similar to it.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/keep-clear-headlight-coating

Machine polishing is far faster and better. I have heard once you take off too much material it makes it worse. Sanding the headlight with those restore kits is far too aggressive and not necessary.

Thanks Dev, I think it depends just how bad the lenses are. Mine is starting to yellow so an aggressive sanding approach seemed overkill. If creams and pastes don't work you can always move up a notch. I've seen this product on fleabay and might give it a go, similar to Maguires I think...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184126598887?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=DWDRhBAsQZi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=6h-f4Xk3SSu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
TF099 silver

Dev

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on July  6, 2022, 18:59Thanks Dev, I think it depends just how bad the lenses are. Mine is starting to yellow so an aggressive sanding approach seemed overkill. If creams and pastes don't work you can always move up a notch. I've seen this product on fleabay and might give it a go, similar to Maguires I think...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184126598887?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=DWDRhBAsQZi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=6h-f4Xk3SSu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I have done some very bad lenses where the owner was planing on buying another set. The best way to do it is to use a high speed rotary and paint correcting pad with polish. A drill is not fast enough to cut though heavy oxidation but if its not that bad a drill can do the work.
What ends up happening is people follow the directions on the kit and use the most aggressive sanding pads and work their way up which is very destructive and time consuming.
 I have noticed that professional detailers are now restoring headlights with a rotary polisher.
I would give it a try first before going too aggressive. What ever method you choose will be good for a year in the sun but with the polisher you can restore them in less than five minutes each so it ends up being a non issue anytime they start to haze again and  you can do your friends and family's cars when they come visit.

Regarding the lacquer or clear coat I have heard that it can be a death sentence for these lamps because they can form micro cracks and once that happens you may not be able to salvage the headlamp.

MikeBoo

I've just used 'Armor All Headlight Restorer Car Headlight Cleaning Wipes', which cost about £10 and if you need a quick fix get a car through an MOT for example, then it seems to be an OK product. However if you have the time then I'd recommend using a rotary polisher because the end result will be significantly better and most likely last longer.

You get 2 wipes (one for each headlight) to clean off the gunk and a 3rd wipe to seal both headlights. Only do this on a cool day because the solvents will evaporate quickly and you'll also need to work quickly.
2001 Toyota Liquid Silver (1D0) with hard top & original soft top.
Yokohama AD08RS all round.
Replacement manifold, BC coil overs,
Whiteline anti roll bars front & rear.
Location = East Hampshire, UK

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: MikeBoo on July  9, 2022, 14:46I've just used 'Armor All Headlight Restorer Car Headlight Cleaning Wipes', which cost about £10 and if you need a quick fix get a car through an MOT for example, then it seems to be an OK product. However if you have the time then I'd recommend using a rotary polisher because the end result will be significantly better and most likely last longer.

You get 2 wipes (one for each headlight) to clean off the gunk and a 3rd wipe to seal both headlights. Only do this on a cool day because the solvents will evaporate quickly and you'll also need to work quickly.
I second doing it on a less than sunny or cool day. The E tech clear coat I used also came with a wipe which was supposed to do two lamps but evaporated too quickly in the hot weather.
TF099 silver

MikeBoo

I forgot to mention, make sure that it won't rain in the next 3 hours or so afterwards (this is specified in the instructions) but also don't do this early evening because as I found out the next day it seems as though condensation may have formed on the lights overnight giving a mottled effect which is now sealed onto the lights  :(
2001 Toyota Liquid Silver (1D0) with hard top & original soft top.
Yokohama AD08RS all round.
Replacement manifold, BC coil overs,
Whiteline anti roll bars front & rear.
Location = East Hampshire, UK

Tags: