sump gasket

Started by ucb, June 16, 2022, 16:29

ucb

I've jacked up the car to change the oil and filter.
I've noticed that there is quite a lot of oil around the flap to access the sump bolt. If I peel the plastix guards down it looks like the engine side is wet and it's coming from the interface of the sump and block.
Are these a known weak spot? Or just unlucky?
Will post pics once at home
If it needs changed I'll be asking the garage as I haven't even changed oil before 😬

Joesson

Leaks typically follow contours and gravity, so could be the sump gasket, but I would look first at the top right face of the engine for a diamond shaped plate with two fixings, one above the other. This is the timing chain tensioner.
You may see oil leaking from the bottom of the plate. If so that could be the source of the oil visible further down.
This is an easy fix / easier than a sump gasket and is detailed here:
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?msg=659055

ucb

Definitely not chain tensioner as I checked that too, dry up there.
Could of course be the sump plug but I need to get the plastics off first

Joesson

Quote from: ucb on June 16, 2022, 16:50Definitely not chain tensioner as I checked that too, dry up there.
Could of course be the sump plug but I need to get the plastics off first

That should reveal a lot, particularly if you've not removed them previously.
The fixings will be a mix of Hex Head 10mm spanner sized screws, cross point screws ( at the very rear) plastic clip fixings and cable ties, the latter not being OE!

Carolyn

Could be the sump plug.  Could be the sump has gone porous, that's quite common.  A replacement is around £30.

There is no sump gasket on a 1ZZ, just make sure both surfaces are absolutely clean and use a good bead of a sealant that is right for the job.  I use Dirko grey.

If it is the sump, it will be a bit of a bugger to get off, they take a bit of persuasion!
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

ucb

ucb

You can see the wet (darker) part of the plastics on the pic.
Thanks for the advice so far, it could just be a porous plug looking at the pattern of oil. I'll give changing the oil and plug a go (first timer!!) And see what arises.

Dev

I would first determine where the oil is leaking from. clean up the area of all oil first particularly around the interface between the pan and the block, then take it for a short drive and place a paper towel around the gap and see if there is any oil wicking out.

If there is its not that hard of a job on this car. You can remove the oil pan easily after undoing the bolts then  using a paint scraper tool on the joint and use a hammer to break the sealant on all areas and the pan comes off in minutes. Clean up both surfaces and add a small bead of new sealant in the middle of the mating surfaces and reattach. The pan bolts are very easy to strip so use low torque on them.

Carolyn

Looking at your photos blown up, I think the oil is coming from higher up.  I could be wrong, but it could be the cam cover gasket.

Joesson

@ucb
From the two photos I cannot see evidence of leakage from around the plug nor from below the joint on the side of the sump.
Maybe oil is coming from the joint between the block and the sump and dripping down without touching the sump side.

But that doesn't explain what looks to me to be oil on the bottom of the block!

The sump plug looks like it has never been touched by a spanner, unless it and the sump has been repainted.
There does not seem to be a large amount of oil on the plastics/ under tray, what there is could be spillage from a filter change via the cat flap rather than removing the tray.
As @Dev suggests I would want to find the source of the leak before pouring fresh oil in.

PS
I am a slow typer, so as  @Carolyn mentions above!

ucb

Quote from: Carolyn on June 16, 2022, 18:59Looking at your photos blown up, I think the oil is coming from higher up.  I could be wrong, but it could be the cam cover gasket.

Having explores further this am, I think it is the TCT gasket.
Anyway, I can't get the plastic off to change the filter (I'm too big even with the car jacked up to reach the furthest screws) so I am giving to my local indie to do.
Most of the screws for the undertray are non-standard (Allen head screws) and there are some cable ties in the wheel arch mounting points which I'm struggling to easily cut off.
At some point I'll try to replace all the screws with new ones but the car needs an MOT next week so I haven't got the time to spend ages messing this up!!

Carolyn

Quote from: ucb on June 18, 2022, 20:01Having explores further this am, I think it is the TCT gasket.
Anyway, I can't get the plastic off to change the filter (I'm too big even with the car jacked up to reach the furthest screws) so I am giving to my local indie to do.
Most of the screws for the undertray are non-standard (Allen head screws) and there are some cable ties in the wheel arch mounting points which I'm struggling to easily cut off.
At some point I'll try to replace all the screws with new ones but the car needs an MOT next week so I haven't got the time to spend ages messing this up!!

TCT??

ucb

Quote from: Carolyn on June 18, 2022, 20:48TCT??
Timing chain tensioner
I mean the o-ring appears to be leaking. I could see oil marks tracking down the side of the block.
Your experience and knowledge was correct.
Anyway since it's such a PITA to get the plastic undertray off in my garage on 2 axle stands, I'm ringing the local garage where the MOT will take place to ask them to change the oil too

Carolyn

Quote from: ucb on June 20, 2022, 09:14Timing chain tensioner
I mean the o-ring appears to be leaking. I could see oil marks tracking down the side of the block.
Your experience and knowledge was correct.
Anyway since it's such a PITA to get the plastic undertray off in my garage on 2 axle stands, I'm ringing the local garage where the MOT will take place to ask them to change the oil too

PM me your address and I'll send you an O ring that will do the job much better than the Toyota one.  No charge (courtesy of the club).  There's a 'how to' for changing it.  Follow that and you'll be fine.

ucb

Quote from: Carolyn on June 20, 2022, 09:27PM me your address and I'll send you an O ring that will do the job much better than the Toyota one.  No charge (courtesy of the club).  There's a 'how to' for changing it.  Follow that and you'll be fine.

Tremendous generosity, thank you.
Will PM and donate to the club

Tags: