Reinstalling catalytic converter

Started by MrChris, June 20, 2022, 11:32

MrChris

Hi all,

Looking for some advice in reinstalling the catalytic converter as it's not really on properly.

1) The "three amigos" screws. Does anyone have a picture of what this should look like? How mine is right now just doesn't look right and one of the screws I have seems too short...
2) In the image below, the bit I've circled, the cat doesn't seem to be sitting together... again can anyone show my with a picture what this should look like installed? Currently, with the existing screws I've got there is a gap (even though the exhaust does not appear to blow when the engine is on).

3) Is it possible to get replacement "three amigo" screws. If so, any ideas?

Thanks in advance as always.

Carolyn

The original  3 amigos are studs.  They can be drilled out and M10 nuts and bolts substituted.

The joint between the cat and backbox will always have a 'gap' between the flanges.  If it doesn't leak, it's good.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Dev

That gap is normal since it is a cone interference fit with the flange. The springs keep the tension on the fit so it doesn't loosen over time.

Alex Knight

I have x3 brand new OEM nuts for the three amigos going spare if you need them.

MrChris

Quote from: Alex Knight on June 20, 2022, 13:51I have x3 brand new OEM nuts for the three amigos going spare if you need them.

So I had a look again at what's there and I appear to have one of the "official" bolts/nuts and the others I think are M10s. Can't seem to get the one screw back in to the housing though. How much are you looking for them?

Alex Knight

Quote from: MrChris on June 20, 2022, 14:49So I had a look again at what's there and I appear to have one of the "official" bolts/nuts and the others I think are M10s. Can't seem to get the one screw back in to the housing though. How much are you looking for them?

Just what they cost me really, about £5 plus postage if I remember correctly.

Tags: