Rear caliper help

Started by MrChris, June 21, 2022, 08:21

MrChris

My 2 is inching towards being finished but am unable to remove the part circle in red below from one of the old calipers. I've no idea what it's called so googling/searching the forum hasn't turned up much for me. I can't remove it because the screw (circled blue) is completely chewed up so I can't undo it. Is it worth trying to get the blue screw out and reuse the red circled part, or can I buy the screw and part from somewhere? Or can I just get the screw if I manage to get it out?

P.S. Image is not one of my calipers, it's just an image I found online.

You cannot view this attachment.

Carolyn

@MrChris :

You can get the screw, either at your local fastener supplier or off Ebay.

Try spraying with Plusgas and leaving it to soak and then applying heat with a plumber's torch.  Then try to undo it (using a six-pointed socket if possible) while it's still hot.

Failing that, cut the head off the screw.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

MrChris

Quote from: Carolyn on June 21, 2022, 08:34@MrChris :

You can get the screw, either at your local fastener supplier or off Ebay.

Try spraying with Plusgas and leaving it to soak and then applying heat with a plumber's torch.  Then try to undo it (using a six-pointed socket if possible) while it's still hot.

Failing that, cut the head off the screw.

Thanks Carolyn. The head is completely buggered so I guess I'll have to cut it off. Are you able to tell me the size of the screw needed please?

Carolyn

Quote from: MrChris on June 21, 2022, 08:39Thanks Carolyn. The head is completely buggered so I guess I'll have to cut it off. Are you able to tell me the size of the screw needed please?

I can't recall.  I think it's an M10 but It's been a long time since I spannered on one!

Measure the diameter of the hole - that will be close enough. If you have the other bolt, count how many threads in a cm.  If it's eight, then the thread is 1.25 and if it's just over 6, it's 1.5.  With that info and the bolt length, you can buy one - or post it on here and I'll see if I've got one.

Topdownman

Looking at an old rusty caliper I have it does seem to be an M10. I had a random M10 bolt with the 6.5 threads pcm but that doesnt want to go in so I guess it is the M10 1.25 you need. The hole depth is 20mm.

Looking at how rusty my caliper is but how rust free the hole is, I would say you would have a good chance of getting it out using plus gas and a striped head remover socket?

Good luck.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

MrChris

@Carolyn cutting the head off with a Dremel and whacking the rest of with a hammer did the trick so thank you very much indeed.

If you do happen to have one of the screws I need I'd be extremely grateful if you would be able to send one over? Happy to send some money your way for your troubles.

Carolyn

Quote from: MrChris on June 21, 2022, 19:40@Carolyn cutting the head off with a Dremel and whacking the rest of with a hammer did the trick so thank you very much indeed.

If you do happen to have one of the screws I need I'd be extremely grateful if you would be able to send one over? Happy to send some money your way for your troubles.

I need the specifications for the bolt.  Measure the hole and count the threads, please.

MrChris

Quote from: Carolyn on June 21, 2022, 19:55I need the specifications for the bolt.  Measure the hole and count the threads, please.

Sorry yes, you did ask for that. I'll probably just go get the other one matched up in that case. Thanks again.

Tags: