Rear light cluster moisture

Started by BARNPOT2000, June 21, 2022, 09:58

Topdownman

I took the rear bumper off today so took a picture of where I drilled the holes to avoid any confusion!
@BARNPOT2000

I am not saying this mod will solve your issue but I think it will help and is very easy to do. If for some reason you didnt like it, a bit of tape or silicone would close the holes (never heard of anyone doing that though!).
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Topdownman on June 28, 2022, 17:35I took the rear bumper off today so took a picture of where I drilled the holes to avoid any confusion!
@BARNPOT2000

I am not saying this mod will solve your issue but I think it will help and is very easy to do. If for some reason you didnt like it, a bit of tape or silicone would close the holes (never heard of anyone doing that though!).
That's brilliant, many thanks... another job on the todo list 😊👍
TF099 silver

BARNPOT2000

So, I finally got a chance to remove the offending rear light cluster and split the components apart to investigate the moisture issue and check the seal. Before I started the condensation had dried out over a few days so the lens was clear. However I was surprised to find quite alot of water droplets within the unit hidden behind the lens areas. The seal was quite dirty and a bit crusty. I wiped the moisture and dried out the light. The seal is very delicate, but it wasn't actually broken so I thought I would try and see if reversing it would reseal the light! I carefully cleaned the seal with a toothbrush and plenty of hot soapy water. The seal certainly softened up. I reversed it in the groove within the light so that the "fresher" side was now the sealing side. A very small few dabs of silicone sealant were helpful to hold the seal in place whilst rebuilding the light. I will update in a while to let people know if this is a fix or a rather fruitless exercise 😉. If it fails next step will be an ebay seal as previous posts... 👍.
TF099 silver

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Topdownman on June 28, 2022, 17:35I took the rear bumper off today so took a picture of where I drilled the holes to avoid any confusion!
@BARNPOT2000

I followed you and took mine off and drilled two 4mm holes in the same position as you, as you say can't do any harm and easy to cover up if needed, thanks.
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

TheTigerUK

@Topdownman, since drilling mine we have had a couple of small rain showers and I have had no misting up after, hopefully its working 👍🏻
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on July 13, 2022, 07:21So, I finally got a chance to remove the offending rear light cluster and split the components apart to investigate the moisture issue and check the seal. Before I started the condensation had dried out over a few days so the lens was clear. However I was surprised to find quite alot of water droplets within the unit hidden behind the lens areas. The seal was quite dirty and a bit crusty. I wiped the moisture and dried out the light. The seal is very delicate, but it wasn't actually broken so I thought I would try and see if reversing it would reseal the light! I carefully cleaned the seal with a toothbrush and plenty of hot soapy water. The seal certainly softened up. I reversed it in the groove within the light so that the "fresher" side was now the sealing side. A very small few dabs of silicone sealant were helpful to hold the seal in place whilst rebuilding the light. I will update in a while to let people know if this is a fix or a rather fruitless exercise 😉. If it fails next step will be an ebay seal as previous posts... 👍.
To update on the reversing the seal idea... I would say its improved but doesn't prevent moisture forming. When the moisture appears in the lens it now evaporates more quickly than it did, but this might be just be because I dried the hidden moisture within the unit. I'm going to try the new neoprene seal and see if that improves things.
TF099 silver

Joesson

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on August 12, 2022, 10:44To update on the reversing the seal idea... I would say its improved but doesn't prevent moisture forming. When the moisture appears in the lens it now evaporates more quickly than it did, but this might be just be because I dried the hidden moisture within the unit. I'm going to try the new neoprene seal and see if that improves things.

Unlikely to be the recent inclement weather!

Tags: