Front suspension creak!

Started by BARNPOT2000, July 13, 2022, 09:48

BARNPOT2000

I have a slight "creak" coming from, I believe, my front suspension. Its recently had new kyb shocks and Tein springs added along with new anti roll bars. I'm thinking it's likely to be the new springs as the arb bushes were lubricated on installation. Would a liberal spray of silicone be a good idea in the areas of the spring seats as I'm imagining this is the problem area? I've had similar noises on other cars where, after driving in very wet condition the spring seating gets washed out. Is it the case that with a bit of time and bedding in the new springs will seat in the rubbers and the noise is likely to subside do you think? Don't really want to be taking things apart again just yet 😕.
TF099 silver

Carolyn

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on July 13, 2022, 09:48I have a slight "creak" coming from, I believe, my front suspension. Its recently had new kyb shocks and Tein springs added along with new anti roll bars. I'm thinking it's likely to be the new springs as the arb bushes were lubricated on installation. Would a liberal spray of silicone be a good idea in the areas of the spring seats as I'm imagining this is the problem area? I've had similar noises on other cars where, after driving in very wet condition the spring seating gets washed out. Is it the case that with a bit of time and bedding in the new springs will seat in the rubbers and the noise is likely to subside do you think? Don't really want to be taking things apart again just yet 😕.

Did you replace or lubricate the top mounts?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Carolyn on July 13, 2022, 11:43Did you replace or lubricate the top mounts?

I re used the mounts as they seemed fine,and freshly greased the bearing but left the rubber seating for the coil springs dry, maybe a mistake?
TF099 silver

Joesson

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on July 13, 2022, 14:50I re used the mounts as they seemed fine,and freshly greased the bearing but left the rubber seating for the coil springs dry, maybe a mistake?

There is also a fibre type washer that sits under the bearing, I replaced this as it was 20 years young and showing signs of breaking up around the edges.
The rubber seats I believe don't require lubrication and I didn't apply any.
Some years ago I removed and repainted the OE roll bars and as they seemed OK reused them.  There was a white powdery residue on the rubber and I asked on here for advice.
Non was forthcoming so I put some talcum powder on the bush, french chalk would perhaps have been better.
Rubber and lubricant is not the best of mixes and I would leave it dry or as above.
The exception being hydraulic seals where a lubricant is suggested.

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Joesson on July 13, 2022, 16:15There is also a fibre type washer that sits under the bearing, I replaced this as it was 20 years young and showing signs of breaking up around the edges.
The rubber seats I believe don't require lubrication and I didn't apply any.
Some years ago I removed and repainted the OE roll bars and as they seemed OK reused them.  There was a white powdery residue on the rubber and I asked on here for advice.
Non was forthcoming so I put some talcum powder on the bush, french chalk would perhaps have been better.
Rubber and lubricant is not the best of mixes and I would leave it dry or as above.
The exception being hydraulic seals where a lubricant is suggested.
Thanks, yes I think my washers weren't bad enough to warrant replacement, and the new arbs were greased with the supplied bush grease. I think I'll drive it for a bit and see if it improves or worsens, it's not too bad atm. fingers crossed. Im still thinking it might be the rubber spring seats as they had formed to the original springs and I'm guessing will need to deform to the new springs a bit, just my theory mind..
TF099 silver

Carolyn

I'd go around and tighten it all up.  Very often things get a bit loose when you've run the car.  Arb bushes could be it.

Joesson

@BARNPOT2000
I did get my OE springs back into the same places in the rubber seats,  but your springs are (30mm) shorter than OE so would not be quite so tight.
While you are checking the tightness of the fixings under there you could see if you can rotate the springs, if you can that could be a possibility, but if you can't I doubt that is the problem area.

NB: I do recall a similar query when the problem was found to be that the flat of the strut top had not been located correctly in the slot of the top mount.
If this work was done professionally that should not be the case but all is possible in life and motor mechanicing.

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Carolyn on July 13, 2022, 16:35I'd go around and tighten it all up.  Very often things get a bit loose when you've run the car.  Arb bushes could be it.
Thanks @Carolyn, I will do that. It crossed my mind that the arbs could benefit from those clamps that prevent any sideways sliding of the bar through the bush. But then again the creak doesn't seem to occur when cornering. Apart from the odd creak I'm very pleased with the way it's turned out. The car drives just as I had hoped, nice and controlled on corners but still a comfortable ride.
TF099 silver

Carolyn

The last time I dealt with Tein springs, they were slack in their mounts when the car is jacked up, so making them sit right in the rubbers should be a doddle.

BARNPOT2000

RESOLVED!!! 🤗
Started to check the torque settings on my front suspension this morning. The three strut mounting nuts on each side of the suspension turrets accepted maybe another quarter turn to achieve torque setting, test drove, still creaking. Took  wheel off and started trying to see if anything had any excess movement, and noticed the drop link washer on the nearside was slightly movable. This is the lower nut where the drop link goes through the wishbone. These are Roadnutz droplinks purchased to gain the extra thread length required for attachment to the thicker arbs I've fitted. I tightened both sides an equal amount squishing the lower bush more. Test drive and hey presto no more creaking, hoorah!
I remember contacting spring loaded where I purchased the links and queried how tight to do up the nut. They replied "so the bush is slightly squished". Obviously a technical setting which varied from my interpretation 🤔.
Photo of my "squishing" which resolved the issue below. Has anyone experienced this issue and would they recommend further "squishing" 😊?

You cannot view this attachment.
You cannot view this attachment. 
TF099 silver

Joesson

@BARNPOT2000
That's a good result then. If you had a creak prior to the additional squishing and you don't have it now I suggest you have the correct amount of squish.
As to how and why, I guess you squished the bush originally with the wheel off, in an unloaded condition. The bush was then subjected to loading and has possibly reseated / loosened itself, resulting in the  creak.  Your subsequent squishing sorted it out.
Good job done.

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Joesson on July 15, 2022, 11:49@BARNPOT2000
That's a good result then. If you had a creak prior to the additional squishing and you don't have it now I suggest you have the correct amount of squish.
As to how and why, I guess you squished the bush originally with the wheel off, in an unloaded condition. The bush was then subjected to loading and has possibly reseated / loosened itself, resulting in the  creak.  Your subsequent squishing sorted it out.
Good job done.
I think you are correct, torquing up the suspension under load is tricky without a lift. I was jacking up the disc with the wheel off to get close to the final load condition.
TF099 silver

Bossworld

Can't offer a 'squish' measurement but a lot of aftermarket droplinks are missing the upper metal collar that goes underneath the wishbone. Effectively the bush just sits in the 'groove' in the underside of the wishbone.

Don't know if new metal on metal could account for the noise? (I can't quite tell from the pic if there's anything between the wishbone and top 'washer'/collar?

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Bossworld on July 16, 2022, 10:51Can't offer a 'squish' measurement but a lot of aftermarket droplinks are missing the upper metal collar that goes underneath the wishbone. Effectively the bush just sits in the 'groove' in the underside of the wishbone.

Don't know if new metal on metal could account for the noise? (I can't quite tell from the pic if there's anything between the wishbone and top 'washer'/collar?
From memory the bush below the wishbone is squished between two washers and the upper washer has a slight ridge which sits within the wishbone hole, so you are correct it's metal on metal below the wishbone, but, when tightened up enough seems fine.
TF099 silver

Bossworld

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on July 16, 2022, 12:38From memory the bush below the wishbone is squished between two washers and the upper washer has a slight ridge which sits within the wishbone hole, so you are correct it's metal on metal below the wishbone, but, when tightened up enough seems fine.

Yep that's the stock setup, I've had two aftermarket different brands of front drop link that didn't include that upper washer though.

Tags: