Aaargh! Freaking electric antenna annoyance!!

Started by Anonymous, May 23, 2005, 23:23

xdesign

In that case, take it to an electrician and they will do the switch job for you. The easiest (not cheapest) way.

SimonC_Here

You don't say where you are in the country but if you can make it to one of the meets I am sure someone will have the knowledge to sort you out.

Simon

Anonymous

Thank you GSB. Great help and you were spot on. I have a reg '04 roadster and the wire was black for mine as well and was in the H position as in the diagram. I have no radio signal at all now but at some point I will connect it to the window lock switch, which is something I left for now since is 21:27 so a bit late  s:) :) s:) . It took me 10 minutes to locate and cut the wire. Before that I sent 1 hour or so removing all the panels behind the drivers seat to try and locate the aerial wire....what a waste of time...at least I know now how to remove the panels.

Slacey

Hi Michalis, I said you would find your answer here  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
Glad you got it sorted.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Chris

Quote from: "xdesign"Why don't you just change the damn antenna!!!

have i read it somewhere that this mod doesn't work on uk cars?  It's quite a popular mod on spyderchat iirc, but i'm sure there was some reason as looked into it myself as the increase in windnoise with the ariel up is huge!
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "Chris"

have i read it somewhere that this mod doesn't work on uk cars?  It's quite a popular mod on spyderchat iirc, but i'm sure there was some reason as looked into it myself as the increase in windnoise with the ariel up is huge!

Surely you can change the antenna  s;) ;) s;)

You just have to change the whole unit, cause we have the electrical one...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Hmm, does the aerial have to be a certain length to pick up the wavelength of the radio waves broadcast in the UK?

It could be that they use shorter wavelengths in the USA, so they can use the shorter aerial...

... this is pure conjecture though - does anyone know?

I did put a shorter aerial than stock on my last car and my reception wasn't as good.

Tem

Quote from: "Mr 2"Hmm, does the aerial have to be a certain length to pick up the wavelength of the radio waves broadcast in the UK?

It could be that they use shorter wavelengths in the USA, so they can use the shorter aerial...

US FM frequencies are 88-108MHz, same as here and I suppose you have the same in UK as well?

The only difference is that they only use frequencies with odd digit in US, like 88.1 88.3 88.5 aso.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "Mr 2"Hmm, does the aerial have to be a certain length to pick up the wavelength of the radio waves broadcast in the UK?

US FM frequencies are 88-108MHz, same as here and I suppose you have the same in UK as well?

The only difference is that they only use frequencies with odd digit in US, like 88.1 88.3 88.5 aso.

Yeah, they're the same here - well thats my theory sunk!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"

Surely you can change the antenna  s;) ;) s;)

You just have to change the whole unit, cause we have the electrical one...

The group buy is over on spyderchat. Anyone else do these antenna's are they look pretty cool.

markiii

the GB on SC probably doesn't include teh base.

if you do this you need teh non powered base from teh US, circa $50 IIRC
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

xdesign

Since someone sent a PM about it, if interested you can contact LordTabucan on SC for the antenna.

He can even get you the base for it from his local T.

Changing it is not that simple. You have to lift the car, remove the rear passenger wheel and remove the compartments behind the seats...

It's easy for a mechanic though! I paid 20 euro to have it changed.

Don't expect the signal to be as good as the stock antena.

evileye_wrx

The mod works, it just won't tune to anything unless your parked next to the radio station. I put one in but didn't bother wiring it back up.
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

uktotty

The stubby aerial mod works fine on UK cars, only trobule is that it doesnt pick up any radio stations!!!

evileye_wrx

It depends if you want to listen to music industry bilge all day or have a good looking car. Personally, I'd snap off the big antenna and hook up your ipod

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

Funny this - the S2000 aerial is a wee little bee stinger just like that and it gives a cracking reception.

kanujunkie

the bee sting aerials come from America where the VHF frequencies are different to ours, it could be why the aerial has bad reception
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

Nah it's more likely that the S2000 aerial is a bit more complicated than this one  s;) ;) s;)

The Aerial that LT sells is (as far as I know) just the base part of another aerial, hacked off to length and then profiled at the top to a nice shape.

To be effective an aerial needs to be a very specific length (I forget what, but it's related to the wavelength of the thing you want to receive, I believe) - you can adjust that by constructing it differently inside (i.e. as more than a simple piece of straight wire)

Anyway - that's why LT's is pretty poor as an aerial.

Looks great, though, so I don't really care   s:D :D s:D
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kanujunkie

cheers mate, suck eggs and all  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

and it is a simple bit of wire to a set length, sometime simple chocks and other basic attenuation devices can be used though within the aerial
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tags: