Accelerator Pedal Slack

Started by Alex Knight, August 21, 2022, 23:27

Alex Knight

Hi all,

I have a small amount of free play at the top of my accelerator pedal.

Is there any scope for adjustment at the pedal itself (as opposed to the cable, as that's at max on the adjustment)?

Dev

To the best of my recollection the pedal is not adjustable. From what I understand manufactures give the accelerator pedal some amount of dead space. I do not know if its from the pedal side or the throttle body side.
 Having said that I fitted an aftermarket throttle rotor which has notches where the clevis can fit at various positions to take up the slack. The purpose of the throttle rotor is to give more throttle with less distance from the pedal. It is a bit of trickery altering the turning ratio to make you think the car is more powerful. 

When I installed it, I felt like it did take up the dead pedal space but it was so long ago I can say for sure but when I test drive someone else's car I do feel the difference. When some others drive my car they are surprised by the instant response.

https://weapon-r.com/collections/billet-throttle-rotor/products/2000-06-celica-gts-manual

I must warn you that although I got it to work for my car it did not work for some others. I think it might have been an installation error on their part or who knows.

Petrus

That Dev, is the car equivalent of half a century was a popular ´tuning´ thing for motorcycles/mopeds; the quick twist throttle grip. Magura was a good quality brand for one. It had a larger diameter ramp. It went the way of the dodo with Jpanese model specific handlebar gear with  integrated switches.

Was not all good btw. and basically only ok because even the most powerful  bikes were pretty tame back then.
Although it makes the throttle obviously more ´responsive´ it dials back the subtleness in equal measure.

Back to the original question; no adjustment at the pedal. All of that is at the throttle body.

JB21

I use a cable tie on the pedal cable between the rubber stopper, works a treat.

Petrus

Quote from: JB21 on August 23, 2022, 09:27I use a cable tie on the pedal cable between the rubber stopper, works a treat.

Motorcycles/moped with cable brakes have slotted thumb ´screws´. I have used one of those in the past same way as you do the cable tie.

Dev

Quote from: Petrus on August 22, 2022, 23:37That Dev, is the car equivalent of half a century was a popular ´tuning´ thing for motorcycles/mopeds; the quick twist throttle grip. Magura was a good quality brand for one. It had a larger diameter ramp. It went the way of the dodo with Jpanese model specific handlebar gear with  integrated switches.

Was not all good btw. and basically only ok because even the most powerful  bikes were pretty tame back then.
Although it makes the throttle obviously more ´responsive´ it dials back the subtleness in equal measure.

Its still done today but electronically. Many of the drive by wire cars like BMW have aftermarket modules you can install that change the ratio as well as eliminate the dead space. 
If you are not driving with your foot down everywhere it makes for a perceptual change in engine torque just driving around normally. You do get use to it eventually but once you drive a car that doesn't have it done it feels much slower.
 When going around turns I have far more control with feathering the accelerator pedal and when I blip the throttle for fun before a downshift it sounds crisp.

fawtytoo

Quote from: Dev on August 22, 2022, 16:31From what I understand manufactures give the accelerator pedal some amount of dead space.
So it's normal? Albeit maybe undesirable.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Dev

Quote from: fawtytoo on August 23, 2022, 20:34So it's normal? Albeit maybe undesirable.

It is desirable for the manufactures from what I read at the time when I was reading about various modifications when I owned a BMW. Even my Lexus has a lazy pedal where there is a delay and that is due to the programing of the electronics.
 I think what happens is if there is dead space you will feel the pedal first and prevent an unintended consequence of sudden acceleration. There are a lot of distracted drivers out there that ruin it for the rest of us.

Petrus

Quote from: fawtytoo on August 23, 2022, 20:34So it's normal? Albeit maybe undesirable.

Sóme, yes.

Dev is spot on in his thinking. We drive with shoes and it takes some pressure difference! for us to register resistance under the sole. For just about all drivers a bit of play is a safe thing. The play will not be noticed and serve to avoid acceleration while the driver is searching for the feel.
The consequence is that if you drive with thin soles under sensitive feet, you will register the play.

I notice it myself too the odd time I get into the car with sub ideal shoes. That I need to adjust. Mind, the access path is more than enough but still, the principle applies.

Nvy

Its very obvious on my two and the pony but not so much on the auto mazda family car. Guess its a kind of safe measure. For me driving with different shoes is a nightmare especially when I get used to a single car. Have to break, accelerate differently until I get the feeling with the shoes I am wearing. Basically what Petrus describes.

Tags: