Multiple ABS Codes

Started by Alex Knight, September 21, 2022, 13:35

Alex Knight

Hi all,

My MR2 hasn't been driven much recently (even less than usual).

I had to move it the other day, and the ABS light stayed on.

I checked the codes, and it returned multiple codes:

Code 14
Code 31
Code 33
Code 34
Code 41

Now, I'm assuming all the ABS sensors haven't gone bad all at the same time, so it's probably not that. Could it be the ABS ECU?

I went for a test drive, and sure enough, locked up when I hit the brakes.

I cleared the codes, and the ABS light went out. Hit the brakes again, and this time I had ABS no problem and the light stayed off for the whole drive.

The next day, the ABS light was on again, same codes.

Any ideas what on earth is going on? Dodgy/corroded connection somewhere?

fawtytoo

"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Dev

The ABS light sometimes corresponds with a problem with the ODB2 wiring fault. Also it could be due to AC spikes in the electrical system due to a failing alternator. I would take a multimeter set to measure AC and place it on the electrical system to see if the power is dirty and if so it is one of the diodes in the pack that is burnt out. 

Alex Knight

@Dev
Thanks for the information, very much appreciated.

Fired it up this morning, ABS light went out after illuminating. Think it was just a low battery after not being driven for some time.

Hopefully this has resolved the issue.

I normally have it on a battery conditioner, however we are currently having a garage built, so it's not possible at the moment.

fawtytoo

According to the link I provided:
QuoteCode 41
Power source voltage down
 Battery
 Charging system
 Power source circuit
That follows what @Dev said.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Dev

What light gets illuminated when there is a charging or battery issue is always unpredictable.
Its suppose to be the charge idiot light but it ends up being multiple things probably because the short takes the path of least resistance. It is a lot better than these modern cars where you can blow out a module and then it has to be diagnosed, replaced (very hard to access) and reprogramed by the dealer.

On a very rare occasion you can have a bad ECU but I never heard of anyone replacing any of the modules like the ABS in our car which is impressive.

Tags: