You and your 2

Started by Zxrob, October 8, 2022, 21:05

Zxrob

Where are you with your 2 ????

We are all different, our approach to the 2 will be different, some like just standard, others want more and more, well, for me, I,m pretty happy with me and the car, way more than when I first got it, I've concentrated on making it "mine" with a few styling changes and sorting the handling, I can quite honestly say, this little car now handles like a dream, its balanced, stable, and so much fun, I love the bloody thing.

Where are you with yours, or where do you ant to be

Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

Dev

It is often said that it's your car, your choices and what makes you happy.
My choices were primarily based on what would impress others, casual observer and enthusiasts alike as a complete car.
The greatest compliment I received was from an adversary who took issue with me because I ridiculed some of the ostentatious choices people make to this car that looks tacky. I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion on such matters and he begged to differ. The person in question who took issue decided to find a picture of my car so he could ridicule it to prove a point and he had to begrudgingly agree when he found it that there was nothing that could be used to point out my hypocrisy.

Ardent

I am happy with mine as much as I can be without access to a ramp.

Is it enjoyable, oh yes. But............

I would like to be able to freshen up everything that needs freshening up. Bushes for a start.
Not upgrading, just replacing 17 year old items with new OEM items.

Cosmetically I would like a front? respray to address the 120k plus miles of stone chips.

Petrus

Right. Watching the rain fall.
In Japan, not here.
Here we have an otter in the ´river´.
A dry river so no fish.
So why the otter? There is a duck pond a bit down stream.
Now with otter and less ducks.
Ok, back on track. Not in Japan but here in the thread.

My journey you can read in Belle´s thread but summing it up it is about adding lightness.
What I would like to do is ... add some more.
On the list are a lexan windscreen and lighweight bonnet. No, not a typo; it´s the vents.

AJRFulton

Because I couldn't justify the costs of doing the same thing in a Lotus.

A reasonable spec Mid Engined Track Car that cost about £10k all in.

MrChris

Quote from: AJRFulton on October  9, 2022, 10:28Because I couldn't justify the costs of doing the same thing in a Lotus.

A reasonable spec Mid Engined Track Car that cost about £10k all in.

This for me too. It came with coilovers on so they're the only "upgrade". Spend most of my efforts keeping it mechanically sounsd. I'm not so interested in the cosmetic side because it's effectively a cheap way of running a mid-engine sports car on a track. If it gets a ding, I'm not too bothered and it's currently very cheap to sort out.

Joesson

Quote from: MrChris on October 10, 2022, 08:30This for me too. It came with coilovers on so they're the only "upgrade". Spend most of my efforts keeping it mechanically sounsd. I'm not so interested in the cosmetic side because it's effectively a cheap way of running a mid-engine sports car on a track. If it gets a ding, I'm not too bothered and it's currently very cheap to sort out.

How are the brakes now?

MrChris

Quote from: Joesson on October 10, 2022, 09:38How are the brakes now?

Still not quite there but better than they were (pretty much as I left the other thread). I've not got a track day booked in yet so have left it for now, but reckon another bleed might help. They're okay for road, but still could be better.

fawtytoo

I'm perfectly happy with mine and want to keep it as Toyota intended. Sure, it needs a paint job but that's not a major concern as the body is solid. Top of my list is enjoying driving it. I have a local garage who is happy doing jobs that I can't do. Same as @Ardent here, no suitable ramps, I've only the scissor jack and only want to freshen things up as they need doing really.

They're already very impressive cars that get attention when it's out. It's definitely a keeper, and I doubt anyone could offer me enough money for me to sell it.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

steveash

I've had lots of nice cars but always needed space for my clobber, back seats etc. My MR2 was my first opportunity to buy a car purely for driving pleasure with zero compromises.

With that thought I've made a few alterations to continue in the same vein. Coilovers, bracing, short-throw shifter, sticky rubber and lightening here and there. I've also cleaned, restored and refreshed lots of parts and generally treated it like a spoilt child.

I love the concept of the simple, reliable lightweight roadster so try to avoid the temptation to try and make it something it isn't. Visually I've made a number of subtle changes but most people would probably assume it was stock.

I particularly like that it's a sports car that if people notice it at all, they generally admire it without feeling jealous.

Petrus

Quote from: steveash on October 10, 2022, 21:15they generally admire it without feeling jealous.

Spot on!

puma2

:) my 2 is just about there now with major jobs done over lockdown 2 years.
it now about useing it and just servicing bits with up keep jobs so really its never  done 8)  8)

may get around to improve on some ice components without going over the top.

i do like the 2 for the conversations its get me in with people and the looks when driving around and parked up not forgetting at the petrol station as well 8)  8)

the best thing for everyone is what ever your 2 is to you enjoy it we only have 1 life so mr2 to it   

TheTigerUK

I bought my first car 57 years ago and every car I have bought since was bought with my brain and not my heart, economy, size, price etc etc

My 2 is the first car I have bought with my heart, I like the look, I like the fun of driving it with the hood down, I have enjoyed doing some simple DIY messing about and a couple of mods.

With the hood down it is almost like riding a motorbike but safer :)

In these "strange" times has it been a sensible economical decision to buy ? not really but its been fun and we need to do some things while we still can at my age.
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Chilli Girl

I completely agree with all this @TheTigerUK particularly about the bike sentence. It truly does feel very much like that - great little cars. I have 2 wheels of course and I have very fond memories of the 4 wheeler too!
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Dev

I had an interesting thing that happened at a meet I hosted today. My car is extensively modified but in a way that is not so obvious if you are not paying attention and that was my intention to seamlessly blend it with higher quality parts and alterations. 
 There was a fellow enthusiast that was eying my car and discussing with me the mods that I have done to the interior which there are many and as he found the changes his brain was over loaded especially when he seen the aftermarket tach and the push button start.
  He asked me what I plan to do next and I said I was finished, he agreed. Everyone at the meet told me how much they admired my choice of exhaust tips and how they exit the rear which made me happy considering I obsessed so hard on getting them right.

It is nice to have built something over the many years of ownership that ends up a masterpiece of vision which is admired by your peers.

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on October 16, 2022, 23:22especially when he seen the aftermarket tach and the push button start.

Have you perhaps done a write up on that somewhere?

I btw also get a lot of comments on my exhaust tip. Great ice breaker.

Bernie

Having purchased what was a Club legend car almost 10 years ago, March 2013, I was conscious that I didn't want to go down as the bloke who didn't take care of Robs car.

It was immaculately sorted mechanically so I set about putting my stamp on it with what I like to think were tasteful cosmetic upgrades.

After managing to obtain the unicorn TTE front bumper after years of looking I think that's job done

Yes it's a garage queen but it's used sparingly on nice dry days and I enjoy it my way, it's not an investment, I would never recoup what I have spent on it and I will never sell it

I've taken it to a few shows and it's great to be able to show our great cars off
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Dev

Quote from: Petrus on October 20, 2022, 22:07Have you perhaps done a write up on that somewhere?

I btw also get a lot of comments on my exhaust tip. Great ice breaker.

Yes long ago I did a write up which was popular and repeated by many. I did a lot of measuring before hand and when I finally got it did not fit like I wanted until I removed and installed the bezel in reverse to become a trim which ended up looking even better than I envisioned. Nice big center tach like the old Supra.
The company did a custom logo which is the MR-S bird. In order to make it work the bird had to be conservative in size like what the OEM would do. The problem is when people are left to their own devices it looks like they did it.

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on October 20, 2022, 23:43Yes long ago I did a write up which was popular and repeated by many. I did a lot of measuring before hand and when I finally got it did not fit like I wanted until I removed and installed the bezel in reverse to become a trim which ended up looking even better than I envisioned. Nice big center tach like the old Supra.
The company did a custom logo which is the MR-S bird. In order to make it work the bird had to be conservative in size like what the OEM would do. The problem is when people are left to their own devices it looks like they did it.

I mean the starter button, sorry  :-*

Dev

I believe I did but I think it got lost. I made around 300 kits that I sold. Its not just a start button as those are easy to do. This uses a custom made circuit made to  to my specifications by a company that specializes in nitrous oxide delivery using solid state boards. It is a soft touch start like a Lexus. 
Probably the most intense project I have accomplished having to map the start button.

I have a better trim that I added later on the is not in the video.

Petrus

Thanks for sharing. Looks  8)
The automatic ´soft´start action is a véry nice feature indeed.

Been thinking about it because I think it übercool but:
- not so keen on a round button in a square hole*
- the lack of added functionality bugs me

* could move the hazard lights switch to the spare rectangular hole and add a small start button in the now vacant round hole

Anyway first things first; the MicroLine fog lights.

Dev

It is a round button in a round hole. Later on I added better trim for it. Someone else made trim that looked exactly like how the OEM does it.

Better functionality? It doesn't make coffee or tea. It's a start button, it starts the car.
Sometimes brother I wonder.

Petrus

I will clarify:

The dash blank where you put it, is rectangular Dev. With your new trim it may be solved.

It is an additional button and it does not do something additional.

Still cool though imo. Very cool. I may yet go for moving the hazard lights button.

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Dev on October 21, 2022, 00:17I believe I did but I think it got lost. I made around 300 kits that I sold. Its not just a start button as those are easy to do. This uses a custom made circuit made to  to my specifications by a company that specializes in nitrous oxide delivery using solid state boards. It is a soft touch start like a Lexus. 
Probably the most intense project I have accomplished having to map the start button.

I have a better trim that I added later on the is not in the video.

I do like that.
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Dev

Quote from: TheTigerUK on October 23, 2022, 14:50I do like that.

Thank you. Back in the day I spent a lot of time and energy to get it to work and its nice to be appreciated by my peers.
 My only regret was not buying the TRD start button and replacing the Lexus one which is a direct plug in.

Tags: