Fixing burnt alloy wheel?

Started by tricky1138, November 25, 2022, 15:34

tricky1138

After my rear caliper seized at our national meet I drove it home but kept checking it and it never seemed to get too hot.

I've took the car out today to wash it (I stupidly had noticed it before but didn't have time to do anything with it. Might regret it now.)

The alloy looks like it's either burnt or rusty. It's rough to touch and no power washer or alloy cleaner that I have will clean it.

Does it need a refurb or can it be fixed?

2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

McMr2

Quote from: tricky1138 on November 25, 2022, 15:34After my rear caliper seized at our national meet I drove it home but kept checking it and it never seemed to get too hot.

I've took the car out today to wash it (I stupidly had noticed it before but didn't have time to do anything with it. Might regret it now.)

The alloy looks like it's either burnt or rusty. It's rough to touch and no power washer or alloy cleaner that I have will clean it.

Does it need a refurb or can it be fixed?

I'd guess it'll be a lot of brake/disc particle build-up that has corroded and baked on, rather than burning of the wheel coating itself. I'm normally reluctant to use aggressive cleaners on wheels but there might be a specific product out there for the job.

2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Dev

I would use some polish on a rag rubbing it vigorously on a small spot of the corrosion and see if there is paint underneath.
If you use metallic pads it's possible that the dust has corroded on the surface.

thetyrant

Looks like you need some fallout remover to remove the iron particles, there are plenty of brands to choose from and ive used Iron-X and Dragons Breath both with good results, you spray it on and aggitate with a brush the leave it to see if it makes your wheels/bodywork bleed (you will see what i mean when you do it) which it will if there is metal particles on them, might take a couple fo goes with those but ive got much worse track wheel back to good condition using it where the dust has been really baked on.

Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

tricky1138

Thanks all

Good to know it's hopefully fixable.

I'll look at getting some proper wheel cleaner and give them a good scrub.

Anything will be better than what it's like now.

And yes, I love the wheels but hate cleaning the little spoke gaps!
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Tags: