Scarred Cornea.. easily done

Started by jvanzyl, November 30, 2022, 10:26

jvanzyl

So it turns out casually blowing away some rust can result in a scarred cornea.

I shall be buying a bumper pack of safety glasses and condition myself to put them on whenever entering the shed/garage...

I'm fortunate in that the scar is outside of my vision, however the distance between that and visual impairment is about 2 or 3mm.

Hopefully my narrow miss can serve as a "learning moment" for others.

Carolyn

Very painful!  And very unfortunate.  Sorry to hear this, John.  Is it permanent scarring?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Call the midlife!

Ironically I always wear my work safety glasses when doing anything at home that's likely to present a hazard.
But a couple of weeks ago a bit of detritus fell from the underside of the car and dropped straight into my earhole, that took some flushing out too.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Topdownman

Ouch. Get well soon John!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Petrus

Went in for MRI last week and the questionair explicitely and extensively mentioned metal splinters, swarf, welding crap etc metallic in the eyes. But then it also had a caption about scrapnel  ::)

Good luck with recovery @jvanzyl hope it is temporary.

jvanzyl

Hi all,
Thanks for the well wishes. They have said it is permanent.
Not painful anymore at least!

shnazzle

Been there, done that, learned the lesson, wear the glasses.
Had swarf in my eye and rust. Neither was fun

It's a must

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

...neutiquam erro.

Dev

Sorry to hear and I know what you are going through.
I had something similar happen this summer working on a members car where I was helping him with some exhaust work. Some of the rust fell in to my eye and I did not care as I was focused. It felt like dirt and I just pushed it out. Fortunately my contact lens saved me from the worst of it but a particle got under it a day later and caused an hairline ulceration on my eye. It was painful and I had to use glasses for about a month. Although I can still wear contacts I had to take them out earlier than I use to but it seems to be getting better with time.
 I wish you the best of luck.

Joesson

Sorry to hear that John, we live, we hopefully learn.
 Fortunately, in that way I have worn specs most of my adult life, couldn't get on with contact lenses, probably as when I tried them all that was available was hard lenses, and they in themselves are painful to wear at first.
Wearing specs I am conscious of not getting my specs damaged ( I have to pay for them !) and so that has meant I am cautious when in particular situations.
I typically wear my "old" specs when doing "jobs" and when particularly hazardous I wear a visor.

TheTigerUK

I was in the engineering trade, machinist and we learnt very quickly that safety glasses save a lot of grief and time spent at the AE.

When I have a new set of glasses my old set become my "beaters".
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

ucb

Opticians told me earlier this year that I have a large scar across my left cornea. Not sure how I got it but my wife says it was the time my daughter scratched my eye with a book page

Tags: