JDM mods listing

Started by Petrus, December 8, 2022, 11:10

Petrus

Was reading through some japanese tuning sites and found a none to bad write up dating from 2018. It lists the top 10 mods with a review.

1. OEM chin lip
2. OEM hard top
3. OHLINS PCV ride hight adjustment
4. TRD inlet stub
5. Amuse Titanium EX muffler
6. SARD sports cat.
7. NGK Premium RX
8. Apexi Power FC
9. TRD exhaust header
10. TRD angine supports

No braces mentioned!  :o

Found it a bit weird to have the header in 9th way down from the sports cat and muffler. No real explanation. The light weight of the muffler though ís explained and it is observed that the original muffler is quite a bit of weight high up, far back and that it makes notable diference.

The most striking though is obviously the chin lip on 1st place. In the review it is explained as só effectively addressing the aero. Reducing the lift which improves stability at highway speed. This at peanuts.

jvanzyl

Is oem chin lip the Trd stage 1 front bumper?

Petrus

Quote from: jvanzyl on December  8, 2022, 11:23Is oem chin lip the Trd stage 1 front bumper?

Tbh I could not make that out from the wondrous translation. It could also be the rubber under bumper strip. Seeing that they mentioned OEM and not TRD I thínk they meant the rubber strip.
The crux though remains the same.

J88TEO

Quote from: jvanzyl on December  8, 2022, 11:23Is oem chin lip the Trd stage 1 front bumper?
No...that bit that is attached to the bottom of the bumper - only for PFL models.
Seen a couple on sale in Japan - very expensive.

jvanzyl

You mean that black plasticy strip that about 1.5" thick? I'm sure I've got a couple lying around... time for me sell something back to Japan!

Petrus

Quote from: jvanzyl on December  8, 2022, 13:08You mean that black plasticy strip that about 1.5" thick?

Yes.

QuoteI'm sure I've got a couple lying around... time for me sell something back to Japan!

Thumbs up. Put them up for sale yes.

J88TEO

Petrus

Quote from: J88TEO on December  8, 2022, 13:354. TRD inlet stub
Is this the one?
https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/j1063153504?conversionType=service_page_search

Yes.
Goes together with deleting the duct through the wheelwell. The TRD sports filter is suggested (rebranded K&N).
You can replicate it easily MUCH cheaper with a UK sourced silicone elbow tube and bell mouth insert.

Looking at the list I have ticked all boxes but 6. and 8.

J88TEO

J88TEO

Quote from: Petrus on December  8, 2022, 13:43Looking at the list I have ticked all boxes but 6. and 8.
So you got the exhaust!

Petrus

Quote from: J88TEO on December  8, 2022, 13:47So you got the exhaust!

Not the Amuse but my own no-muffler straight through weighing about the same.
Combined it with a decat pipe but it was too loud so the OEM cat is back in again  :'(

With the Amuse I could delete the cat and still have an acceptable sound level.   A bit pricy though.

As to the chin lip... could be the spoiler or the rubber strip. Either will have much the same aero effect.  The draw back of the spoiler is connected to point 3. ; lowering the car. A recipe for damaging the spoiler whereas the lip just folds back.

Dev

I would not trust blindly what the Japanese source as a matter of importance. Their market and market appeal is very different when it comes to both modifications and appearance. Name brand is very important to them.
 I have the TRD style lip and it's for show, there is no aerodynamic benefits and it will just add more weight to the car. Same goes for bracing as it might make the car "feel better" but the more you put on the slower you go if you are a hardcore racer which I have met a few that are looking to get a trophy as they are adverse to bracing and more focused on damper control which is where the gold is.

I happen to like the lip kit because it makes the car look good and I like bracing because it makes the drive feel good. I also like weight reduction as that also feels good but I am not about trying to be the fastest or trying to fix something that I suspect that is broken. I can drive too fast if I wanted without issue primarily because of the dampers so all of this other stuff is pointless as a dog chassing its tail.

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on December  8, 2022, 14:27I would not trust blindly what the Japanese source as a matter of importance.

Of course!  This is why the comments/explanations are informative too.

Still fun to read, share.
Next is weighing it against ones own priorities and use.

I found the observations about the lip, lift, highway stabilty remarkable as I did the point about the heavy muffler high out back.

The different perspective of the Japanese drivers, circumstances, market et all also can be very benificial because the articles not seldomly shine a light from the side, which can add understanding. The (in)famous TRD dog bones are a case in point.

Dev

As you have mentioned in past posts about aero, weight reduction and other things that are for better road holding but I think you are missing the big one which are premium dampers if you want value.
It is the single best modification of all modifications that is transformative. If it's for fun or just being fast there nothing else you do to your car that can come close except for an experienced driver.
 The TRD Sportivo  is not a bad system but it is not the same thing. The suspension doesn't have to be rock tight either as that is what you get with the cheap stuff. I could take a completely stock MR2 and add proper street dampers as its only modification and destroy everything with aero, bracing and all of the other mods that people tack on.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Petrus on December  8, 2022, 13:43Yes.
Goes together with deleting the duct through the wheelwell. The TRD sports filter is suggested (rebranded K&N).
You can replicate it easily MUCH cheaper with a UK sourced silicone elbow tube and bell mouth insert.

Looking at the list I have ticked all boxes but 6. and 8.

That back corner of the car is a very dirty place.  I had a temporary arrangement without the 'cardboard' pipe, & the air filter got clogged mighty quick.

Petrus

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on December  8, 2022, 17:32That back corner of the car is a very dirty place.  I had a temporary arrangement without the 'cardboard' pipe, & the air filter got clogged mighty quick.

Agreed.
I have comparative data about mileage/filter crap and it is at least a factor three. A striking contributor, a lárge contributor, is the tyre wear. Had not expected the rubber dust to be súch a factor. Will clean the filter more often.
It is as per TRD though 8)
I went full ´TRD´ so also K&N and that is a doddle to degrease/clean/dry.

Ardent

Quote from: J88TEO on December  8, 2022, 13:47So you got the exhaust!

This reminds me.
@SuperArt have you had chance to think about selling the trd box and pipe.
I recall still having dibs if you have decided to sell.

Tags: