Yellow MR2, desirable?

Started by Kenjiep3, December 13, 2022, 22:37

Kenjiep3

Question. In this day and age of dull grey crossovers and black SUVs, do yellow MR2s command higher prices than other colours?

I can't see any for sale on autotrader at time of posting, but plenty of silver and grey ones!

Gaz mr-s

A really good one without sun damage, yes. Especially Facelift, as there are less than in pfl.

puma2

:) yellow are rare and a few years ago this club did not have many then  at 1 ding day we got i think 4 together for  a separate photo.

now i would say the rarest colour to get hold of is face life green.

most yellow are pre face lift and  faded when they come up for sale.

i believe there is a yellow for sale in  the sale thread.

then there is always mine if you got 9K

Joesson

How times and minds change!  When I bought my PFL (silver/ the people's choice) in 2011 a yellow did come up for sale but the consensus amongst my nearest was that it would only retain very limited appeal and so narrowed my search to Black and Silver.
A diamond is a diamond unless it's the Kohinoor!

Kenjiep3

Quote from: Joesson on December 14, 2022, 09:04How times and minds change!  When I bought my PFL (silver/ the people's choice) in 2011 a yellow did come up for sale but the consensus amongst my nearest was that it would only retain very limited appeal and so narrowed my search to Black and Silver.
A diamond is a diamond unless it's the Kohinoor!

This is exactly it. I know in the S2000 world, yellows are much more valuable. Didn't know if this was the case for the MR2 as well

Petrus

I would go for the cheapest colour even if that´d pink.... Same car underneath so imo best vfm  ;D

J88TEO

Condition rather than colour should be the factor to consider.

Gibla

I agree with that above comment @J88TEO

Assuming equally good condition subjective colour preferences then come into play.

My least favourite MR2 colour choice is silver.....maybe because of a surfeit of similarly coloured cars from all manufacturers.

It matters nought what my favourite would be, although I owned a stunning solar yellow Fl MR2 mk3 until recently.
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

Dev

Incidentally I have taken a picture of a yellow yesterday. I never really cared for yellow but after looking at in the evening sun I realized it is eye catching and stands out from all of the other colors in a good way.
The problem is many of the old ones that sat in the sun are faded and no longer have the original shade of orangish yellow.

Petrus

Quote from: Gibla on December 14, 2022, 12:18My least favourite MR2 colour choice is silver.....

Apart from it being no consideration as I wrote, my favorite for the ZZW30 is white as that is thé Japanese colour, Second comes silver as that counts as white aparently.
For the rest I personalize it with vinyl anyway  8)

Yellow for some reason I associate with the Fiat Barchetta.

Kenjiep3

Quote from: J88TEO on December 14, 2022, 12:04Condition rather than colour should be the factor to consider.

No doubt, but if 2 cars came along in the same mileage, condition, history etc the only difference was 1 in yellow and 1 in silver, would yellow be worth more?

J88TEO

Up to the buyer...Yellow is rarer than Silver so seller would ask for a bit more but personally I would not pay more just for the colour.

Petrus

Quote from: Kenjiep3 on December 14, 2022, 14:541 in yellow and 1 in silver, would yellow be worth more?

Having one going up for sale?
Just throw up a price high enough in yoúr idea and see if it sticks.

If you want to búy one then simply pay what you think it worth. As I observed for mé it, colour, would be of no value whatsoevvah.

Dev

Quote from: Kenjiep3 on December 14, 2022, 14:54No doubt, but if 2 cars came along in the same mileage, condition, history etc the only difference was 1 in yellow and 1 in silver, would yellow be worth more?

I do not think that factors into the price anymore. You get what you get and most are willing to compromise on color for condition unless its a color they have absolutely no interest in.

If the owner feels that owning a particular color is worth more and sets a premium price then he is clearly delusional and should instead make sure the car is presentable for sale than relying on color alone because there are a lot of people that are adverse to cars that stand out like yellow.

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on December 14, 2022, 15:15there are a lot of people that are adverse to cars that stand out like yellow.

I would like to add that ´rare´ is no criterium whatsover apart from some mass produced iron in which it is a way to on paper stand out from the produced mass. Less options may sometimes be more desirable than fully loaded that way.

Rare only becomes a factor in price if it goes with desirability outstripping the availebility.

Kenjiep3

Quote from: Petrus on December 14, 2022, 14:58Having one going up for sale?

Not in the slightest, mine is blue!

Disclaimer: blue is the best colour and is worth 5x any other colour  ;D

J88TEO

Quote from: Kenjiep3 on December 14, 2022, 15:38blue is the best colour and is worth 5x any other colour  ;D
Great!...can sell mine for £10k now  ;D

Petrus

Quote from: Kenjiep3 on December 14, 2022, 15:38Not in the slightest, mine is blue!

ah so you want a second one in yellow and go Ukraine on the drive.

Dev

Quote from: Petrus on December 14, 2022, 15:32I would like to add that ´rare´ is no criterium whatsover apart from some mass produced iron in which it is a way to on paper stand out from the produced mass. Less options may sometimes be more desirable than fully loaded that way.

Rare only becomes a factor in price if it goes with desirability outstripping the availebility.

One of the rarest colors of our car is Paradise blue metallic. It is rare for a reason because no one really likes it. However with the TRD stage 1 lip kit it looks like the best color.

This old TV commercial says it all.

Gaz mr-s

I think differently.  I like yellow, but I think the Solar yellow is a bit insipid.  Silver utterly bland.  Don't like a 2 in black much. Blue, & red, so-so.  I think Sable is a 'classy' colour, but not really for a 'sports car'.

I like both the greens, & travelled over 350 miles for one.

Kenjiep3

Quote from: Petrus on December 14, 2022, 16:33ah so you want a second one in yellow and go Ukraine on the drive.

Hmmm, roads might not be the smoothest.

Alex Knight

IMHO, white is the most desirable colour:

J88TEO

Quote from: Alex Knight on December 15, 2022, 14:36IMHO, white is the most desirable colour:
It is....unfortunately very few ( if any ) was sold in that colour!

Petrus

Quote from: J88TEO on December 15, 2022, 16:05It is....unfortunately very few ( if any ) was sold in that colour!

Luckily silver counts as white as I wrote  ;)   
Hence the Mercedes ´silberpfeil´ and also japanese racing silverwhite  :))
See also ´white gold´.

Néarly bought a white one. Just a bit too many dodgy things. So I went silverwhite  and added coloured* vinyl 8)

* over here in the south of Spain ´colorado´ (or in Andalu´:  colora´o) indicates red. Making coloured apt on mine.

Tags: