GR Yaris

Started by Lurch, December 21, 2022, 09:44

Lurch

Wow oh wow ! Took a GR Yaris out for a test drive on Saturday what a car that is, incredible performance and a daily driver as suspension set up perfectly, not a hard ride at all ! Want one badly now so definitely think my MR2 will be going around April time think I will get more use out of the Yaris as I just don't use the 2 . Get yourselves a drive of one of them believe me incredible!
LURCH

puma2

:) that the problem with test drives the sale person will let you drive a car without check your funds as they hope after your test drive you fall in love with it and do what ever you can to buy it then :o  :o

the car itself has had so many reviews and YouTube clips as if you like driving its rather special.

if you do buy the car  leave it std and it will pay you back when you come to sell me thinks.

Petrus

I did when it was júst out. Was totally blown away. So much so that my gf wanted to buy me one. I had a rare case of common sense and decided against it.
It is súch a competent package that it is nigh impossible to drive it as the law requires on the empty and ever so inviting twisty roads here where I live.
Also said gf would hop in behind the steering wheel too and her driving is simply too lighthearted yet heavyfooted for such a car.

Petrus

Quote from: puma2 on December 21, 2022, 11:05if you do buy the car  leave it std and it will pay you back when you come to sell me thinks.

Over here they sell for more used than the gf would have paid new. Observed this at the time, but at least nów I am still around to look back at it  ;)

Lurch

Yeah totally agree, will leave as standard, not the most practical but then I have my Hilux for anything else , told the sales guy won't be in the market until April , was no problem still let me take it out so will be going back to him to find me one when the time comes . Will be sad to see the MR2 go as I have owned it for 11 years now but just don't use it , now only on 15 k miles , I think the Yaris will hold it's value well .
LURCH

Petrus

Btw. I suggest you try a Kia Stinger GT too.

Ardent

7 year warranty.
That's confidence in your product.

Ardent

Quote from: Lurch on December 21, 2022, 09:44definitely think my MR2 will be going around April  I will get more use out of the Yaris as I just don't use the 2 .
Getting more use out of it, would not be hard to do.

Zxrob

Must admit, although they are a credible machine, just dont float me boat

Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

Petrus

Quote from: Anon on December 21, 2022, 19:46Just zero street cred rocking a Korean badge.

Great plus side I´d say. Só understated that it is almost a sleeper yet it outdoes a GR Yaris on track which is some feat indeed.
It also is at ease legal cruising whereas the GR Yaris not so much.

Lurch

The Corolla GR they are bringing out looks good too but not coming over to the U.K., everyone has their favourite for different reasons which is a good thing .
LURCH

Petrus

Quote from: Lurch on December 22, 2022, 08:21everyone has their favourite for different reasons which is a good thing .

I have indeed several favorites yet my own little cabrio is, although falling short at just about everything, simply fun without needing to go Mach 1 speeds.
Mind, done proper official racing for yéars ánd can afford a Stinger; heck the gf wanted to buy me a GR Yaris as a present. Yet, well, maybe becaúse I´ve done ´it´ almost all, I don´t need a fast car with or without street cred.
So Í rate my little frog as a for mé most practical car: The right number of seats, plenty of luggage space for all but the weekly shopping trip, sane performance* in a compact size package which as a bonus opens up  no hassle at all.

* the performance fetish of just about anybody publishing anything about cars/bikes is a given. Does not mean that it is the holy grail. We live in the real world with real world limitations and

Petrus

Quote from: Anon on December 22, 2022, 11:241200kg v's 1800kg but roughly same 0-60 and same 1/4 mile speed. I guess that extra 600kg makes you faster in the braking zones and tight corners  :))  :))  :))  :))  :))  :))

Well, as you máy know lightness is, because of the racing, my pet peeve and my MR2 under 900* kilos for a reason so I get the point you are making but do have a look at track times for the Stinger. The Kia engineers did a surprising job with it.

* just spent silly money to get some exotic lightweight bling replacing some 3 kg at the back with 8 or so ponypowers.

Gibla

re
Quote from: Petrus on December 22, 2022, 14:19Well, as you máy know lightness is, because of the racing, my pet peeve and my MR2 under 900* kilos for a reason so I get the point you are making but do have a look at track times for the Stinger. The Kia engineers did a surprising job with it.

* just spent silly money to get some exotic lightweight bling replacing some 3 kg at the back with 8 or so ponypowers.

A new 'zorst' backbox? What make sir?
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

Petrus

Quote from: Gibla on December 22, 2022, 14:43re
A new 'zorst' backbox? What make sir?

Amuse street legal.

Gibla

But very conscious that this thread has strayed way off course

@Lurch I test drove a GR Yaris nearly 2 years ago,put a deposit down but then pulled out of completing(probably foolish in hindsight).

Obviously a wonderful little car, with 2 vastly cheaper but ultimately inferior rivals in the Fiesta ST and Hyundai i20N.....if you go ahead with the purchase,enjoyment and pleasure guaranteed  :)
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

tomato

The GR Yaris is an amazing car to drive, but I personally don't like the look of it and it felt cheap inside to me.

The Stinger is also a suprise package, but when you conpare it to used prices of the German stable, Lexus IFS or better still the Jaguar XFR does not look so good in my view.

Two's Company

I haven't driven a GR Yaris but parked next to one and they are massive in comparison to an MR2. Like most cars nowadays. I'm gutted I missed out on a GR86 which I'd rather have. The GT86 was great handling but a bit underpowered. The GR should be fast enough without going crazy.

Petrus

The GR lóóks more massive than it is. Especially the front makes it look MÚCH more so than it is. Only 10 cm wider and longer is not much in the light of it having a back seat and some luggage space.
And yes, the roof lines of the two also give a way different impression yet for a modern hatch it is not at all that large.
It is also relatively light for a modern car.

Ardent

seen a couple out n about.
Usually only know its a gr reading the badge.
From the rear, it looks like it's been on botox.
Rear looked rallyesque. Raised rear and wide arches.

tricky1138

Quote from: Ardent on December 28, 2022, 09:37seen a couple out n about.
Usually only know its a gr reading the badge.
From the rear, it looks like it's been on botox.
Rear looked rallyesque. Raised rear and wide arches.

Easiest way to distinguish from quick glance - if its 3 door its a GR.

Must admit I like the look of them and specs looks great, and if I was in the market for a small hot hatch it would definitely be on my list. Unfortunately its too small for my needs- and even worse is, as said above, the GR Corolla isnt coming to the UK, as I would have looked at that.

2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Ardent

Quote from: tricky1138 on December 28, 2022, 10:27if its 3 door its a GR
Cheers.

You cannot view this attachment.

Is it just me that sees a similarity. Now I know why I mentioned it looked rallyesque.
You cannot view this attachment.

Ardent

Totally of topic. So expect to be chastised.

But this is what motorsport is missing now. The complete bonkers category.

Chilli Girl

To confuse matters even more there is now a GR Sport hybrid based on the original hybrid :o At 26k it's hardly worth it!
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Petrus

Quote from: Chilli Girl on December 28, 2022, 17:43To confuse matters even more there is now a GR Sport hybrid based on the original hybrid :o At 26k it's hardly worth it!

´GR´ is becoming or has already become badge marketing. If not for all the comfort goodies it could be a ´Cup´ version.

Tags: