Back bumper supports

Started by Carolyn, December 24, 2022, 10:10

Carolyn

In a previous post, I threatened to make some struts to replace the structural function of the rear undertray.

They are now done.  I made then from some 1/2" square tubing we had in stock.

They go from the two mounting points on the subframe to two of the holes on the bottom edge of the bumper.

I did a trial fit yesterday before paint and they really do the job, preventing the bumper from waggling around.  Much more solid.

You cannot view this attachment.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

2ZZ_mofo

Hi Carolyn, could I buy a pair? I'm missing the 'nappy' and as a result the rear bumper is a bit wobbly and the panel gaps near the rear arches really annoy my OCD haha 😆

Carolyn

Quote from: 2ZZ_mofo on April 17, 2023, 10:08Hi Carolyn, could I buy a pair? I'm missing the 'nappy' and as a result the rear bumper is a bit wobbly and the panel gaps near the rear arches really annoy my OCD haha 😆

Sorry, I'm no longer making bits for other folk.  Hey - they're easy enough to make!

You'll find that the gaps are down to the plastic clips that the bumper slots into are drooping.  They can be fixed by unscrewing then and straightening the sheet metal they are mounted on.  A few taps with hammer puts it right.

2ZZ_mofo

Aaw, pity, was willing to pay up front. I'll get a new undertray ordered soon. I fitted new retaining clips but it didn't fix the gap, but never thought of straightening the metal. Will give that a try 👍

Topdownman

Quote from: 2ZZ_mofo on April 17, 2023, 10:57Aaw, pity, was willing to pay up front. I'll get a new undertray ordered soon. I fitted new retaining clips but it didn't fix the gap, but never thought of straightening the metal. Will give that a try 👍

If you are talking about the gap between the edge of the bumper and the rear wings, try adjusting the screw from the wheel arch. These are not fixings but adjusters, its easy to just tighten them up and then wonder about the uneven gap. Back them off to line up the gaps. The other fittings are holding the bumper on.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

2ZZ_mofo

I took it past a trusted local bodyshop and he reckoned the lack of rear undertray wasn't helping (as it adds some structural support at the bottom of the rear bumper, pushing it out slightly and therefore slightly up where the bumper meets the rear wings).

Carolyn

Quote from: 2ZZ_mofo on April 17, 2023, 16:05I took it past a trusted local bodyshop and he reckoned the lack of rear undertray wasn't helping (as it adds some structural support at the bottom of the rear bumper, pushing it out slightly and therefore slightly up where the bumper meets the rear wings).

I agree - hence my handy dandy bumper supports.

2ZZ_mofo

So apparently the nappy serves a few purposes. Prevents spray and crap getting thrown up into the engine bay, enhances airflow and (surprisingly) engine cooling. Only downside is having to remove it for access to certain things.

Hopefully I won't have to butcher it too much to fit as the car has a Megallian Motorsport exhaust fitted and the rear heat shield has been removed to make it fit .. and it's LOUD 😆

2ZZ_mofo

Do you still have the dimensions for these Carolyn?

Carolyn

Not really , they were made as one-offs.  I've got a bit of a bad back, right now, so I'm reluctant to get on the floor and measure.

I'll see if I can get David to do it.

Once you've got the overall length, just use the pic as a pattern for the bends, which are needed to go round the cat.

2ZZ_mofo

Thanks Carolyn. Hope you get your back sorted.

2ZZ_mofo

My local fabricator is on the case. Supports but with a sheet of aluminium welded between them, with sound insulation on the engine facing side, basically a custom nappy.

Carolyn

That might make things a bit warm in the engine compartment. 

2ZZ_mofo

Quote from: Carolyn on June  2, 2023, 19:04That might make things a bit warm in the engine compartment. 

It will have slots for airflow and access for oil filter etc so should be fine. Went this route after buying a 'nappy' and seeing how flimsy it is 👍

Ardent

@2ZZ_mofo

Please keep us updated on that.

Petrus

Quote from: 2ZZ_mofo on April 17, 2023, 17:39So apparently the nappy serves a few purposes. Prevents spray and crap getting thrown up into the engine bay, enhances airflow and (surprisingly) engine cooling.

Wonderful conclusion btw  :))

2ZZ_mofo

Quote from: Petrus on June  4, 2023, 07:58Wonderful conclusion btw  :))

Ah my first forum jerkoff! Brill

Petrus

Don´t worry; I live in an alternative reality  ;D

Tags: