Servicing Mileage

Started by Anonymous, August 13, 2003, 10:14

Anonymous

First service is 10K miles isn't it? Well I'll be somewhere in the Alps at 10,000 miles but won't have reached 9k before I leave.
Anyone know what flexibility there is on how many miles the service is at to keep the warranty ok?

Also, anyone know how much the headlight converters are?

Ta
J

Anonymous

I had mine done at 11.2K... didn't have a lot of choice, bought the car from Toyota with 10.4K miles on, unserviced, and got it booked in for the next available slot.

Anonymous

The 10k service is an oil change only, its probably worth having it done before you go away.
Proper service interval is 20k, intermediates seem to be oil and filter only.

mph

Personally, I think 10K miles is too far for a non fully-synth oil; I changed mine every 5K. On new engines it's common to change before or on the first 1000 miles too!
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"Personally, I think 10K miles is too far for a non fully-synth oil; I changed mine every 5K. On new engines it's common to change before or on the first 1000 miles too!

Im coming up to 5k and was thinking about getting this done... however, i heard somewhere (possible here) that you should leave the oil in for the first 10k?

Anonymous

I've often wondered about this. Over in the States the oil change intervals are a lot shorter and many owners over there are quite alarmed at our lenghy intervals.
My theory is this: if you stick to the 10,000 mile oil changes your engine should be knackered at exactly 60,001 miles.

Anonymous

IMHO if you have not changed it at 5k or earlier just do the extra couple of thousand. I am leery of handing the car to Toyota for any work before doing any major trips. My first oil service resulted in an annoying rattle from the plastic underguard not being properly refitted   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

You shouldn't need any preventative maintenance that earlier so they are unlikely to be finding any major work that would have scuppered you - I would just do your own oil, coolant, tire check etc before setting off.

Anonymous

Mr T had left my car an ex demo car going to shows till it was 2 years old before it first service at 5K   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

but she is very up to date now tho    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Just had my first service today.  Not quite 10000 miles but it's been exactly a year...

I am not sure about your local Toyota dealers but mine is dreadful...  

Booked the car at 08:30 and they told me it would take 45 mins; I also asked for a 4 wheel laser geometry check and they added another 45 mins on top...

Well, they didn't start work until 09:00.  Once they started, they told me to pick it up at 10:30 which I found rather normal.  But guess what; not only they finished at 12:00 but the mechanic took my car for a test drive (presumably, to check the geometry); for a half an hour test drive!!!  Checked the mileage; he had done 7 miles!!!  

A letter to the manager is to follow, I think.

At least he tightened the hand break (without me asking) and now it only takes 4-5 clicks before it's engaged.

Oh, and there was a guy picking up his brand spanking new MR2.  The first thing he did before he drove away?  He switched his fog lights on...

Anonymous

My local dealer was more pants than that.
I booked it in "while you wait sir" for the alarm to be sorted out - it kept going off randomly.
Waited half an hour patiently, then asked how it was going "Oh, we're getting there but not sure how much longer it'll be". So I went outside for a smoke, wandered around the cars for sale, popped up to the car park, and yes my car was still there   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  
This charade carried on for another half hour while they still hadn't put it in the garage! Then ten minutes after it disappeared from the parking spot I left it in, they came back and told me that it was going to be a bigger job than they thought and I'd have to booked it in.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

F**kers.  Needless to say I'm not going back there for a service.  
So how much was your 10K service?

J

Slacey

My 10000 was 70 quid, my 20000 will be due soon, which they tell me will be 170   s:( :( s:(
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"My 10000 was 70 quid, my 20000 will be due soon, which they tell me will be 170   s:( :( s:(

Might try and schedule my 20000 up your way then, 'cause down here it was 120quid for the 10000mile service!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jimbob"So how much was your 10K service?

£86.  Total with the geometry alignment £140.

Anonymous

You can always do what I did when I went on a mammoth motorbike trip around france. Estimated when I would reach service milage and booked it in with a french dealer.  
Very efficient and cheaper than service at british dealers. Still complied with warranty.

MR2Blue

My 10K service was £90, why, if they are all Toyota dealerships are they charging different prices?

Anonymous

Quote from: "MR2Blue"why, if they are all Toyota dealerships are they charging different prices?

As with everything, wages and rent (amongst other things) cost different amounts all over the country.

filcee

I thought it was a 'book price' or a standard price list of some sort, based on the assumption that it's a fixed job, i.e. 10k is oil, filter, count wheels & lamps, 10 min smoke break and a blast down the nearest dual cabbageway = ~85 quid.

On top of this they then add anything that is not expected, thus 4-wheel alignement is extra, new pads/discs/handbrake adjust &c &c &c.

At least, I think that's what I was told when I picked mine up ...
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Yes there is a standard price list, aka menu pricing.  But that's for the one garage, not for the whole country.

SteveJ

Quote from: "MR2Blue"My 10K service was £90, why, if they are all Toyota dealerships are they charging different prices?

Quote from: "Slacey"My 10000 was 70 quid, my 20000 will be due soon, which they tell me will be 170   s:( :( s:(

Camden in Dunstable just charged me £47.50 for the 10K service (I supplied my own oil - company fuel cards are great  s:D :D s:D ) They did try charging me for the oil though - surprisingly enough I got a little angry  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

mph

Quote from: "filcee"I thought it was a 'book price' or a standard price list of some sort, based on the assumption that it's a fixed job, i.e. 10k is oil, filter, count wheels & lamps, 10 min smoke break and a blast down the nearest dual cabbageway = ~85 quid.
No 'book price', but there is a 'time book' which lists the expected time of every job and is used for quotations and for scheduling.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

SimonC_Here

30,000 service coming up tomorrow.

Will see how much they charge me.

As I am rapidly running out of warranty period (October). I think I will put in writing all the things that I think should be put right. Rusting disks (don't mind paying for the pads), rattles behind the passenger seat/under the stereo/from the roof.
Also there is a bit of Velcro that seems to hold a canvas cover over the inner workings of the soft top which has come adrift from the canvas. Wonder if I can get them to stick a new bit on?

Simon

SimonC_Here

Serviced yesterday:
Cost: £96
including oil at £26
and washer fluid (I know it was full when I gave it to them  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ) 86p

Asked them to look into the rattles. Fixed the one under/behind the stereo passenger luggage door still rattles.
Rusting disk brakes: "Nah only surface rust mate nothing to worry about, all cars get that" I did, at this point, point out the w reg car next to me without rust on the disks/calipers.

Slightly more worrying, "slight oil leak from back of engine"??? WTF.

And they managed to loose the dust cap from the drivers front wheel.

Still, they are taking it back in on the 15th to do a more in depth check and try to fix the other things properly.

Simon

Anonymous

My 2 just back from its first service at local Mr T in York.   £87.57 for an oil and filter change and screen wash....which was filled last weekend!!

Not too upset by that as they had quoted me £90.00!

However there was also warranty work to do.....handbrake had to be pulled so far to engage that my hand used to catch on the wind deflectors!!! Well almost.....

Mr T managed that ok.

Next problem was the soft top.  When erecting it the beading around the passenger window wouldn't drop into the rubber channel and nipped the rubber.  I have to guide the roof into place every time I put it up.

Told the Service Reception about this, and how I understand from friends on this board and S/C, that it is all to do with un done poppers, deep down in the hood-well.  Common  problem I understand?

Went to pick the car up, told by Service Manager, Sorry, but cannot find a fault with your hood!!

Took him by scruff of neck to my car and demonstrated it in one easy motion.....

Oh, he says!!

Looks down where I told him the poppers were located and he agreed.

Can they have the car booked in for another whole day?   Bloody hell, says I!!

Useless SOBs!!!

Moan over, at least my handbrake works now.

Andrew

Anonymous

Quote from: "amr2"Next problem was the soft top.  When erecting it the beading around the passenger window wouldn't drop into the rubber channel and nipped the rubber.  I have to guide the roof into place every time I put it up.

Told the Service Reception about this, and how I understand from friends on this board and S/C, that it is all to do with un done poppers, deep down in the hood-well.  Common  problem I understand?
This problem isn't caused by undone poppers, at least it wasn't on mine.  I fixed this problem myself very easily.

If you take a look you can see where the problem is as you raise and lower the roof.  There will be a plastic zip tie in the roof mechanism that pulls this part of the roof back and out of the way of the rubber seal.  All you need to do is tighten this zip tie by a click or two and voila, the problem is fixed.

HTH

--H--

Anonymous

Hardcore

Thanks for that, I'll have a look when I get home tonight, after work.

I like to keep my car as far as possible from Dealers for as long as possible, they invariable cock something up that you haven't asked them to touch.

Far rather sort stuff out myself....

Thanks again.

Andrew

Tags: