soft top frame

Started by Petrus, December 29, 2022, 11:58

Petrus

I very rarely use the soft top.

I have thus been contemplating deleting it. I am however not prepared to hack the frame up so I can refit the B- pillar uprights with the fittings for the hard top, saftey belts and cross bar.

Would it be possible to source these from a breakers?

J88TEO

I am sure one of the breakers ( J-Spec ) will sell you the soft top frame.

Petrus

Quote from: J88TEO on December 29, 2022, 12:15I am sure one of the breakers ( J-Spec ) will sell you the soft top frame.

That would be extravagant shipping cost. I want only the uprights bolted to the B-pillar. No problem paying for the whole thing ofcourse, just that size and weight would be simpler.

paulj

I've found J Spec very helpful.  I'd suggest you give them a call and discuss what you want.  If they can get it off a car and make a profit on it they will be keen!  They also appreciate their unique place in helping us keep our cars on the road.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Petrus

Will do. Thanks to both.

Email sent.

Petrus

Wow.
Double wow even.
Not only an almost immediate response, they have the things in stock just for the same purpose!
Reasonably priced too so ordered a set already  :o 

If this works out like I hope (rarely happens) it will be a very cheap substantial lightness addition. Should be some 20 kilos in one go!
Remember I already have the tonneau cover.

Iain

Always helpful at J-spec.

I have the same parts coming available in the near future, just waiting on my roll cage arriving.

I think the seatbelt/hardtop mounting points and the cross bar weigh around 6kg so it should net you around 15kg saving 😃

Petrus

Quote from: Iain on December 30, 2022, 08:53I think the seatbelt/hardtop mounting points and the cross bar weigh around 6kg so it should net you around 15kg saving 😃

The soft top with frame weighs some 51 lbs not incl. cross bar, the flip up thing, hard top fittings nor various nuts/bolt and plastics.  I think 20 kg is about right, probably on the low side even, but if ´only´ 15 it still is a cheap delete.

And about J-spec , have them at the top of the short list of handy contacts now  ;D

J88TEO

Quote from: Petrus on December 30, 2022, 09:22And about J-spec , have them at the top of the short list of handy contacts now  ;D
Andy is a very helpful guy.

Iain

Quote from: Petrus on December 30, 2022, 09:22The soft top with frame weighs some 51 lbs not incl. cross bar, the flip up thing, hard top fittings nor various nuts/bolt and plastics.  I think 20 kg is about right, probably on the low side even, but if ´only´ 15 it still is a cheap delete.

And about J-spec , have them at the top of the short list of handy contacts now  ;D

Upon checking my list of weight removal parts you are correct with a saving of around 20kg.

I thought the whole soft top with frame etc was 20kg but on my list i weighed it at complete 25/26kg so keeping the bar and mounts in place will net you that 20 😃

Petrus

Quote from: Iain on December 30, 2022, 09:58Upon checking my list of weight removal parts you are correct with a saving of around 20kg.

I thought the whole soft top with frame etc was 20kg but on my list i weighed it at complete 25/26kg so keeping the bar and mounts in place will net you that 20 😃

Thanks for checking and the feed back. As I wrote it will be a hefty delete regardless of a kg more or less.

All in all several unexpected lightness additions this year. Who knows what the next will bring, delete  :))

Petrus

Found a nice photo of a de-softtop work in progress:

Tags: