E153(MR2 Turbo) - Gear Box Swap - Plus other Options

Started by Gaz2405, January 12, 2023, 11:53

ChrisGB

Also, E153 gives you the opportunity to fit a Quaife ATB. The traction the Quaife finds is surreal.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Gaz2405

Quote from: Nvy on January 13, 2023, 19:50Let us know if you find these at a good price. Id like a set too, I refreshed my bearings but have a spare tranny to rebuild.

Best I've found is RRR at £840
1zz turbo. Home built and home mapped.

Now 2zz turbo. Home built and home mapped

Build thread https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=67004.0

Nvy

Quote from: Gaz2405 on January 13, 2023, 19:56Best I've found is RRR at £840

Maybe its worth it to check some Ausy sites as their currency conversion is quite fine to eur or gbp. Ill try to ask a friend.

Mark A

Can't help but think a complete VAG 2.0 TSi and DSG swap might be the cheaper option for 400bhp and a sequential gearbox. Engine mounts and driveshafts are already available in the UK, another £1k get you a proper LSD.

I'd be interested in people views?

Mark

Gaz2405

Quote from: Mark A on January 15, 2023, 21:03Can't help but think a complete VAG 2.0 TSi and DSG swap might be the cheaper option for 400bhp and a sequential gearbox. Engine mounts and driveshafts are already available in the UK, another £1k get you a proper LSD.

I'd be interested in people views?

Mark

Whilst there's been quite a bit of work done by Stav etc I don't think the full swap kit is quite there.from what I've seen.

400hp will still need rods and a few other bits.

If I'd have not gone built 2zz when I did so, I'd have probably gone down the 1.8t route.
1zz turbo. Home built and home mapped.

Now 2zz turbo. Home built and home mapped

Build thread https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=67004.0

threepot

There is quite a bit of tinker time to get the vag engine and box running without the complete high speed CAN chain running. The ABS module is pretty important along with the cluster and gateway. It is all do-able but its a pretty modern complex platform with quite a bit of harness tinkering to be pushed into it. Or you run aftermarket engine ECU and then:-

On the standalone side, a dutch guy makes a standalone DSG controller which talks directly to the (infamously unreliable) mechantronic module on the side of the DSG gearbox.

https://www.vdveer-engineering.nl/en/shop/dsg-controller/dsg-controller-detail

He is a really sound guy, very clever and has put alot of time into studying how the communications protocols work for TP2.0 and the newer UDS. We have some common ground on another one of his products.

At this stage dropping the Toyota cluster would make sense too, but you will have to integrate the simple gauges like fuel and speed, indicators etc etc.

Often its getting all the small little things working that takes more time that the first start excitement.

shnazzle

Ecumaster also has built-in dsg control. Has had for a while.
So, that should be an easy one for you.

Gregg at RRR has done it in a few cars, and that was a few years ago. Probably done a handful by now.
...neutiquam erro.

Mark A

I was referring to the 2.0T EA888 Gen3 engine which seems to be good for 400 bhp with a remap.